996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Michelin Tyres for the turbo.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Brenton is infamous around these parts
Michelin Tyres for the turbo.

Have anyone tried super sports on the front and ps2 on the rears???

I am running an 04 turbo with standard rims and wanted a bit more grip without going to cup Tyres

Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
super sports are extremely quiet.. they dont come in rear sizes unless you go to 19's..

but i did run 245.35.18's mpss and falken 315.30.18 rear

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
I don't want to run 19s as I want to keep the looks standard.

245 would be to wide for the fronts wouldn't they be???
I am currently running gt2 sizes but want to go back to turbo sizes.

How did it go with different Tyres front and back.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I'm thinking of trying super sports 225/45 and 285/35 in 18" the next time around. It's generally not recommended to have different tires between fronts and rears. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I just ordered a set of 245'35s of PSS for the front ... to go with my 315's 30 ps2's

Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I wish they would come out with more sizes for the super sports.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Super sports are a bit grippier than PS2's. I wouldn't do that setup.

I put in a request to Michelin to make the Super Sports in stock Turbo sizes. They said at this time they have no plans to make those sizes but forwarded my request to the proper department. I suggest everyone else who wants to see these tires do the same.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 PM
I don't understand why the set up would be bad.
More front grip from grippier Tyres will just get the front to turn in better.
I don't track the car so locking the rears is not a pro Len plus there is abs to stop that.
The back of the car has massive grip so I thought it could help with the balance.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Brenton
I don't track the car so locking the rears is not a pro Len plus there is abs to stop that.
The back of the car has massive grip so I thought it could help with the balance.
Just guessing, but different tires between fronts and rears could mess with PSM. You don't want PSM to be fighting with you. Of course, it's another story if you've disabled PSM.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by sinKing

I put in a request to Michelin to make the Super Sports in stock Turbo sizes. They said at this time they have no plans to make those sizes but forwarded my request to the proper department. I suggest everyone else who wants to see these tires do the same.
Yeah -- I'm afraid we might be beyond the marketing window here. Maybe there just isn't enough demand give that the trend is towards 19" and 20" tires these days for the newer cars (e.g. 997 and 991).

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Yeah -- I'm afraid we might be beyond the marketing window here. Maybe there just isn't enough demand give that the trend is towards 19" and 20" tires these days for the newer cars (e.g. 997 and 991).
The 996 Turbo isn't exactly a rare car so I think they would do well for themselves to make it in our sizes. I think it is the best street tire available. I went to 19's just so I could use it. I am surprised they don't make the rear tires for C5 Z06's either. Those have to be even more common than 996 Turbos.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Only thing I can add here is that I've got PS2s on all four corners on my CL600 and I'm not impressed at all with the tread wear. I go through 2 sets every three years - spring and summer only, at that! Sure, it's a heavy pig, but still... would hate to see what an AWD 911 turbo would do to them. But they grip like crazy glue.

-V

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
The 996 Turbo isn't exactly a rare car so I think they would do well for themselves to make it in our sizes. I think it is the best street tire available. I went to 19's just so I could use it. I am surprised they don't make the rear tires for C5 Z06's either. Those have to be even more common than 996 Turbos.
I hope you're right. I've heard that it's a great tire -- grippier, lasts longer and cheaper. What more can you ask for?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
if you're not tracking the car, Ps 2 tires will work just fine.. what kills any tires on a TT is the stock suspension. just eats them up...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !

Sure if you like understeer you don't want grippier tires up front.

Originally Posted by Brenton
100% correct assessment.

Originally Posted by Aerodude
Just guessing, but different tires between fronts and rears could mess with PSM. You don't want PSM to be fighting with you. Of course, it's another story if you've disabled PSM.
You are GUESSING. I have used this combo for several years without any issues. GUESSING does not help people on the forum to make an educational decision. FACTS do.

The FACT is I have been using 245's 35s 18s up front for several years thanks to 80shillings (Graham) whom gave me the the insight.
Fact: My car is AWD
Fact: my AWD works perfectly fine.
Fact: I have used several different brands with 245/35/18s up front and mismatch brands with the rear , and the size being always 315-30-18 with 0 issues. ( Michelin, Kumhos, Toyo, R6's Ventus, Falkens)
Fact: I think I know a thing or two about a fine balance car and what makes a good handling car. (there are only a handful of Turbo owners whom post on the forums that are qualified and I trust there opinion. Graham/Dez/Tom/ Kai)
Fact: Porka (Micheal) Did PSS up front with Falkens 615's in the rear and the car handled SUPERB ! sub-Fact: I drove the car myself.

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 02-22-2013 at 10:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tyres for the turbo.