996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The 911 I did NOT Get...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
The 911 I did NOT Get...

Friends,

Still anticipating the finalization of my purchase here... counting the days. Checks are cut, and now it's down to title, reggie, and 500-mile covered transport. All details on that pending completion of those items.

In the meantime, THIS is the car I did not get, but was looking very closely at. In the end, I just felt it was too much car for me, this being my first 911 and all. Plus, it seems that there's not much left to do on it, and part of the joy of owning one is having some involvement in the mods and upgrades - to hear you all tell it. I'm excited for that and didn't want to miss out.

But all that aside, I'd love to hear some thoughts on this car. In my novice opinion, it looks pretty sick!

-V

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
That is a very nice car but for that kind of money, I would probably buy a 997TT and have some $$ left over for a few smaller mods. 800+ hp all sounds good but what can you really do with that kind of power on the street.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
i agree.. if your budget is over 65k get a 997tt!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Love the look of the car you didn't get!

I'm partial to the 996 over the 997s. I looked at a lot of 997s before I got my Turbo but couldn't warm up to the interiors. I also like the 996 headlights better. This possibly comes from the fact that years ago, I was in the market for a 993 and nearly bought one, then I looked at the 996s and found I could actually afford one. To me it looked so much nicer, drove better, the cabin was much more current looking yet still fluid and organic in design. I went with the 996 and never regretted it. 7 great years in a C2 and the longer I had the car, the more I liked it. Then when it was Turbo time, I looked and looked, and still liking the 996 interior, which had a certain classical timeless comfort to me like a favorite arm chair, and the still "moderm" 996 GT1 styled headlights, it was a mix of what worked for me. I generally don't like "newer" for newer sake as it's only a fix for the very short term. When I find something I like, I generally like it for its true attributes. GL with what ever you bought, hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Daytonaman has a spectacular aura aboutDaytonaman has a spectacular aura aboutDaytonaman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nick49
Love the look of the car you didn't get!

I'm partial to the 996 over the 997s. I looked at a lot of 997s before I got my Turbo but couldn't warm up to the interiors. I also like the 996 headlights better. This possibly comes from the fact that years ago, I was in the market for a 993 and nearly bought one, then I looked at the 996s and found I could actually afford one. To me it looked so much nicer, drove better, the cabin was much more current looking yet still fluid and organic in design. I went with the 996 and never regretted it. 7 great years in a C2 and the longer I had the car, the more I liked it. Then when it was Turbo time, I looked and looked, and still liking the 996 interior, which had a certain classical timeless comfort to me like a favorite arm chair, and the still "moderm" 996 GT1 styled headlights, it was a mix of what worked for me. I generally don't like "newer" for newer sake as it's only a fix for the very short term. When I find something I like, I generally like it for its true attributes. GL with what ever you bought, hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine.
+1 on that! Are 997tt's selling for $68?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
yes you can get 997s as low as $60k with mileage in the high 50s to low 60s but i opted for a very well cared for 03 996 tt manual tranny and now modding it to get closer to the performance of my GTR.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
I liked the look of this car a LOT. It was the runner up to the one I purchased - even though the yellow on this one looks too pale to be Speed Yellow, but maybe it's the lighting? Also, conspicuously, there are no shots of the interior - that was strange to me.

But what really did it in, aside from the price, was all the mods already performed on the car. First of all, the RWD is something I'd rather not have yet, if ever. Like I've said, this will be a road car for me. I'd prefer it to maintain its composure as we learn each other's limits. As for the 800+ HP, well yeah... a lot more than I need so no use paying for it (at the least!). If I ever DO need it, I'd like to be a part of the car's "becoming," if that makes any sense.

In the end, the car I chose looks a whole lot like this one though. ;-) Looking forward to getting the title in hand and sharing the details. I can't wait!

-V

Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
RWD + 800 hp = scary ride!

I look forward to seeing the car you did choose. Congratulations!