996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Considering Daily Driving my Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
Considering Daily Driving my Turbo

I go back and forth on this. I love my car, but I almost never drive because there is always something in the back of my head telling me not to put too many miles on it. But why is that!? I have had the car for over two years and have barley put 3500 miles on it. How many of you daily drive your cars? What is everyone's opinion on putting miles on these cars?

My only other worry, is I am, in addition to my real job, I am also a professional bodyboarder (sponger ) and I am at the beach everyday and struggle with the idea of putting my board, and potentially sand, in my car.

I have considered selling the car and getting a 997 Carrera and using that as a daily but I really don't think I want to live without the power of the turbo.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
73k, daily driven in full-on LA traffic with a GT2 clutch. No regrets.

If I were you, I'd worry about the sand etc. These interiors can't exactly handle a lot of abuse.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a an LS1 swapped RX7 that I dont drive much because it is more of a toy. I needed something to satisfy my craving to drive a fun car on a daily basis so I actually bought my Turbo to drive daily in the summer. I put 8000 kms on it last summer and loved every second of it. With the new mods for this summer I cant wait to pull it out of storage and drive it daily this summer once again.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
DD, purchased for that, so I went tip due to traffic, and never worry. It's why I smile every day I go to work. These are not one of a kind cars. Drive it, enjoy it, and never look back.
Thought... If you had a BMW 335, an Audi S4, pr other, I'm sure you'd just drive it. Well, this platform is no more expensive really and deserves to be driven!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
I bought my car to be my WINTER daily driver in Iowa.

4 years. 35K miles (on top of the 55K when purchased).

They're reliable daily drivers.

Why drive something inferior?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
Ok. I am warming up to the idea more and more. It would definitely be more fun than my E30!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
16v2911TT has a spectacular aura about16v2911TT has a spectacular aura about
I thought the same way when I bought my Turbo..."it's too nice to drive to work everyday," or "...I don't want to put miles on it." Then I tell myself, "Then why the f**k did you buy it?! Sell it then!" That usually shuts me up lol.

I bought it to drive it, not to look at it when I take out the trash. They made too many of them for me to think it's a classic, so I just drive EVERYWHERE now...I'm even contemplating using it as a commuter between Oceanside and San Clemente for my next job because it's that much fun to drive...

Enjoy it! It'll make ya smile every time.

-Jorge

Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
They are daily all season drivers that can rack up tons of miles.
Thats why they are True supercars..

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by 16v2911TT
I thought the same way when I bought my Turbo..."it's too nice to drive to work everyday," or "...I don't want to put miles on it." Then I tell myself, "Then why the f**k did you buy it?! Sell it then!" That usually shuts me up lol.

I bought it to drive it, not to look at it when I take out the trash. They made too many of them for me to think it's a classic, so I just drive EVERYWHERE now...I'm even contemplating using it as a commuter between Oceanside and San Clemente for my next job because it's that much fun to drive...

Enjoy it! It'll make ya smile every time.

-Jorge
That would be a fun drive!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I used mine as a DD a much as possible. I even look forward to driving it in the occasional rain that we get. These cars are meant to be driven. If you're worried about value, it's depreciating just sitting there as well -- you might as well get some enjoyment out of your Turbo in the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Have fun!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely nothing wrong with driving it daily; I wouldn't be putting a body board in mine though. The beach also isn't the best place to park.

The reason I don't daily mine is because I ride my bike to work every day; can't beat the carpool lane

Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
M996TT is infamous around these partsM996TT is infamous around these parts
I'm in the same situation. Got an 03 996TT with 25Kmiles in pristine condition a year ago. The passenger window, the sunroof, rear winshield wiper, CD changer, and rear seats seem to have not been touched or used seen new. I drove my trusted E36 BMW daily as it had been the last 10years. Until the last few months, I've been driving my 996TT every day, sold my BMW. Never look back. Enjoy every moment of it. After 4 months and 7Kmiles, my gas milleage went steadily from 150 to 220 miles on full tank of gas. The light vibration at high speed seems to be gone. My morning routine seems to be much easier that I don't have to decide which one to drive to work anymore.
Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Definitely nothing wrong with driving it daily; I wouldn't be putting a body board in mine though. The beach also isn't the best place to park.

The reason I don't daily mine is because I ride my bike to work every day; can't beat the carpool lane
Ya there are some beaches that I would not be able to leave it without it suffering a terrible fate.

I have not been able to convince my wife to allow me to have a bike.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
DRive mine everyday. Save the vette for the race track which would rim circles around it. I think the turbo is a great car for everyday use. Been driving it through snow storms lately

Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
docjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the rough
DD. 103K. Normal maintenance. No regrets.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering Daily Driving my Turbo