996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24/18g vs 18billet, 20billets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
K24/18g vs 18billet, 20billets

I have seen comparisions with 18g vs 16Billets with close to same mods to draw conclusions which set up I would prefer.

What I have not seen is comparable's wtih the k24/18g's vs the newer 18billet or 20 billet (for i.e. the ones 911tuning sells, maybe Marski can shed some fair comparable dyno;s).

What is the real PUMP GAS (93-94 OCTANE) spool up, power under the curve and peak HP differences between the them?

Hopefully on pump and similiar mods.

If I am looking to step up right now for more power over all and up top, it looks like a full turbo upgrade would be in order like a 3071-3076 etc. which is big $$. If these billets are such an improvement over the regular 18g's the way the 16Billets are over the 16g upgrade, this might be an option while under stock motor.

Is there any one that has comparisons on the above.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
just got with big boys now or dont do anything at all. 3076 and don't look back! its really not that much in comparison to the what these cars were/are worth.

Stop thinking and just click buy it now.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
I hear you! I purchased my 911 last year a spend over 22k on it last year on upgrades and rebuild tranny, so I know what you are saying.

Those 3076 are good for a build motor worth of power and on pump gas I just do not see them making that much power then you typical hybrid turbo. I was thinking if I get a turbo that would can take me to the bottom end limit of the stock motor without going to big I would have better power area under the curve, quicker spool, all while using more common parts that saves some $$ in the end.

Now the above is talking about pump and the 3076's might be a benefit over the hybrids with water/meth. If it is clearly making more power under the curve, more total hp with water meth over a hybrid then that might make sense to spend the extra $$ for a full turbo like 3076, but the questions is how much more. If it is 20-30hp more it might not justify the price.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
I hear you! I purchased my 911 last year a spend over 22k on it last year on upgrades and rebuild tranny, so I know what you are saying.

Those 3076 are good for a build motor worth of power and on pump gas I just do not see them making that much power then you typical hybrid turbo. I was thinking if I get a turbo that would can take me to the bottom end limit of the stock motor without going to big I would have better power area under the curve, quicker spool, all while using more common parts that saves some $$ in the end.

Now the above is talking about pump and the 3076's might be a benefit over the hybrids with water/meth. If it is clearly making more power under the curve, more total hp with water meth over a hybrid then that might make sense to spend the extra $$ for a full turbo like 3076, but the questions is how much more. If it is 20-30hp more it might not justify the price.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
My understanding is that it is possible to see 600whp with the 3076's on pump gas with the right mods. I don't think you will see that with any of the hybrid turbo setups. The 3076's are more rod-friendly to your motor than the A28's or 3071's as they don't make the torque as soon in the powerband either. Plus, the upside is that you have a heck of a lot of headroom with the 3076's down the road if you wish to push the car further.

Speaking personally, I've had billet hybrids on my car for a year now. While I like them, I wish I had spent more and just gone with a set of the Alpha's for the increased headroom.

Just my opinion on the matter.

- Chris.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
I have seen comparisions with 18g vs 16Billets with close to same mods to draw conclusions which set up I would prefer.

What I have not seen is comparable's wtih the k24/18g's vs the newer 18billet or 20 billet (for i.e. the ones 911tuning sells, maybe Marski can shed some fair comparable dyno;s).

What is the real PUMP GAS (93-94 OCTANE) spool up, power under the curve and peak HP differences between the them?

Hopefully on pump and similiar mods.

If I am looking to step up right now for more power over all and up top, it looks like a full turbo upgrade would be in order like a 3071-3076 etc. which is big $$. If these billets are such an improvement over the regular 18g's the way the 16Billets are over the 16g upgrade, this might be an option while under stock motor.

Is there any one that has comparisons on the above.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Hi,,I have a great running package with my 18gs, and I have been torn for some time on my next turbo upgrade>IF I think its worth it with my current mods only and running only 93 oct. fuel only..
I have done alot of research for the next level,,,many threads,posts,opinions out there...Have to read in between the lines and consider the actual sources sometimes..
I was set on K24/20s next but not for 93 oct. only>then K24/18 billets but not worth the little bit,if anything noticeable with butt dyno..
So,I came up with 3071s to be ideal for my set-up and up grade BUT its still iffy with those on just running 93 only..Plus bang for the buck?
All in All in my opinion as far as a well rounded turbo on 93 oct. for the buck is K24/18 billets right now But others love all that low end HP and instant response of the 16 Billets ,,..Just my info/thoughts to share here..
Good Luck..

Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,,I have a great running package with my 18gs, and I have been torn for some time on my next turbo upgrade>IF I think its worth it with my current mods only and running only 93 oct. fuel only..
I have done alot of research for the next level,,,many threads,posts,opinions out there...Have to read in between the lines and consider the actual sources sometimes..
I was set on K24/20s next but not for 93 oct. only>then K24/18 billets but not worth the little bit,if anything noticeable with butt dyno..
So,I came up with 3071s to be ideal for my set-up and up grade BUT its still iffy with those on just running 93 only..Plus bang for the buck?
All in All in my opinion as far as a well rounded turbo on 93 oct. for the buck is K24/18 billets right now But others love all that low end HP and instant response of the 16 Billets ,,..Just my info/thoughts to share here..
Good Luck..
BTW... I'd love to take a ride in your car! - Just saying...

Awesomeness.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
My understanding is that it is possible to see 600whp with the 3076's on pump gas with the right mods. I don't think you will see that with any of the hybrid turbo setups.

- Chris.
I emailed force performance them asking about building a K24/18g and they responded that generally they install their 68HTA compressor wheel which is billet (lighter than an 18g) and which flows 47 lb/min. Using Todd K's formula of 9.25 hp/lb/min, that equates to 434hp/turbo or 870 crank hp on a 996TT (call it 730whp).

should be no issue seeing over 600 rwhp( as long as you have the supporting mods) on 93 oct with these. 3 weeks lead time

Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
I emailed force performance them asking about building a K24/18g and they responded that generally they install their 68HTA compressor wheel which is billet (lighter than an 18g) and which flows 47 lb/min. Using Todd K's formula of 9.25 hp/lb/min, that equates to 434hp/turbo or 870 crank hp on a 996TT (call it 730whp).

should be no issue seeing over 600 rwhp( as long as you have the supporting mods) on 93 oct with these. 3 weeks lead time
Except then you have to source a set of K24's. I had my K16's rebuilt. - Thinking the price of sourcing a set of K24's to build + rebuild would put me well into the price of a set of Alpha's.

Thoughts?

Chris.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Good Luck..
This is my mind on this as well. I want to do some 60-130 runs and compare to some 18g's with similiar mods to see if it might be worth it to go to 18billets instead of 18g since no one seems to have numbers on 18/20billets.

If not I might just do some further bolt on's ie. water meth, intercoolers, intake piping etc. and squeeze out more power with my current set up. This way when I go to a full turbo like a 3076, I will have the needed supporting mods for those turbos.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
Except then you have to source a set of K24's. I had my K16's rebuilt. - Thinking the price of sourcing a set of K24's to build + rebuild would put me well into the price of a set of Alpha's.

Thoughts?

Chris.
i already have the k24 so upgrading doesnt factor for me.i was thinking the op already had them as well. as for the alphas unless you have race fuel or e85 easily available you cant run them close to their potential. so your paying for power you cant have. in my case 93 is all i have to choose from. no race fuel or e85 within 1 hr drive unless i order it online and then what do i do when i run out from home. so running k24 setup on 93 gets most of the power available from the turbos

bobby ali if your even considering going alphas then any k24 setup is a waste of your time and money

Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !

The belief is,,The Hotside is the restriction on that K24 set-up to make it work,no matter how good that inlet side is,,,Thats why most tuners dont go for them..

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned
The belief is,,The Hotside is the restriction on that K24 set-up to make it work,no matter how good that inlet side is,,,Thats why most tuners dont go for them..
while its not a perfect setup , epl, proto, switzer, evoms , all tune for the k24 with pretty good results. will you see 800+ on a set k24? no. but if your reasonable expectations are under 700 rwhp and no need to rebuild the motor for the added big turbos they are a hard combo to beat in either 18g or billet combo.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
while its not a perfect setup , epl, proto, switzer, evoms , all tune for the k24 with pretty good results. will you see 800+ on a set k24? no. but if your reasonable expectations are under 700 rwhp and no need to rebuild the motor for the added big turbos they are a hard combo to beat in either 18g or billet combo.
You were talking about the 68 HTA wheel above in the K24..
Not about the 18s..LOL

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Banned
You were talking about the 68 HTA wheel above in the K24..
Not about the 18s..LOL

i mean the k24 turbo in general. using either a 18 wheel in any configuration or the 68 hta wheel for less than 2500$ its hard to beat the power. if you want BIG power than of course the alphas are proven winners. but the supporting build is no cheap task.
i can only speak for myself but unless my motor blows ill never build it for 1000 hp power. its just to expensive for a 10 yr old car. but if i can see 650 rwhp for a decent price im in.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
i mean the k24 turbo in general. using either a 18 wheel in any configuration or the 68 hta wheel for less than 2500$ its hard to beat the power. if you want BIG power than of course the alphas are proven winners. but the supporting build is no cheap task.
i can only speak for myself but unless my motor blows ill never build it for 1000 hp power. its just to expensive for a 10 yr old car. but if i can see 650 rwhp for a decent price im in.
I know most tuners out there havent tune for that 68 HTA because of the reason I stated ,post 11 above. ..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24/18g vs 18billet, 20billets