996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OT: Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
OT: Which would you choose?

I'm in the final stages of my SUV purchase and have narrowed down to 2 specific vehicles:

2005 Cayenne Turbo
-75K miles
-titanium metallic on black
-1-owner
-1 key
-Carden shafts done
-Coolant tubes not done
-4-zone air
-No accidents
-No warranty
-$25K (add 2K for 3/36K warranty)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i
-70K miles
-black on black
-2-owners
-2 keys
-navigation
-4-zone air
-Pano
-heated/cooled seats
-DVD
-heads up display
-pano
-minor accident in first year of service
-1 year remaining on CPO warranty
-$25.5K

I really like the idea of adding another Porsche turbo to the garage, but the X5 is a very attractive package.

What would you do and why? Thanks for your opinions!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Porsche with warranty. /thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Cayenne hands down.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
It depends. For occasional use: Cayenne. As a daily driver: X5.

The maintenance on the X5 will be cheaper if you put a lot of miles on it.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
FWIW my best friend has a 04 CTT with over 113K miles and running strong. No major issues. (brakes, oil change, burned out bulb)

Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
I love our Cayenne S. My buddy, on the other hand, curses the day he bought an X5. Reliability seems to be very spotty with the X5. My coolant pipes were already fixed when we bought it, that is something that you should do as preventive maintenance right away. In fact, I'd do that instead of getting the warranty if you have a set amount you're looking to spend.

I've had no problems other than a camshaft sensor went out at 75k, replaced it myself after logging with my Durametric. Also replaced the rear hatch struts, they weren't holding the trunk open in cold weather anymore. We've put 40k on it, been a great daily driver for a big portion of that.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Porsche. Have you seen how the BMW's wear after a few years ? Terrible long term longevity.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
X5 is a maintenance nightmare.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Agreed. Buddy's BMW X5 4.4: both front doors dont open from outside. Rear camber problem eating tires. Multiple window regulator failures. Electrical draw isssue after 90K. On the positive side the engine/trans are solid.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
So is the first gen Cayenne/Touareg.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2004 Cayenne Turbo at 89K
EPL tuned and has downpipes I will let go for $21000

Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Patrick - hope all is well!

I'd vote for the Cayenne too - BMW is a nightmare to own after the CPO period, and the gas mileage really stinks. I have a lot of friends who have had bad experiences with the X5. Maybe spend a bit more for a newer Cayenne with some updates. An X5 with an accident on the Carfax will be tough to sell later.

Hope to see you next week at C&C!

Todd

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting to hear BMW is no good. Must be newer models then. I have one that is 14y old and runs like champ. Then again, it doesn't have any of the modern electronics.

You may want to post that same question on bimmerforums as well. May be interesting to see what answer you will get there...

Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
I think either is probably OK. Not my cup of tea, but if that's what you want.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
I'm getting the Cayenne and will buy the coolant pipe kit from Suncoast and use the ECS instructions on the swap. I'll post pics when I take delivery.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OT: Which would you choose?