996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Start modding!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM
adelino is infamous around these parts
Start modding!

Hi everyone!

I have my 01 996TT for 2 years now. Been very satisified with it.
Iīve just put new control arms and clutch accumulator and oem DVīs.
The car is impecable, without any inner or outter rattles.

but... iīm going to a point of wanting more...

A real sound, and some quicker power in the low revs and stronger high end.

Iīve been reading lotīs of forums, and my question is obviously redundant... but i have to ask!!!!

I like to drive my car silently from city to city on highways, and sometimes i wish it had a killer sound.

Iīve seen some switchable exhausts, but some are really over-priced and the others i donīt have movie clips (innotech and designtek).

I see some milded sound exhausts (so they say) like milltek and i see an exotic construction exhaust in titanium from vividracing in a similiar price.

I just donīt know what i whant.

Please help:

I canīt stand droning (i even donīt know how it really feals... but just the idea of bad sound on cruising speeds freak me out).
Iīd like the car to rumble at mid revs and had a high pitch scream at hig rev.

I donīt know the difference from putting no cats, 100cats or 200cats. I just have to pass an emission test every year.

Iīd like the turbos to spool more freely.

Why i donīt read many reviews about switchable exhausts?

Will i feel any effects with the racing manifolds?

Do you think i sould try that "hole in the exhaust" mod, for sound improvement?

about the dvīs. Iīd just put 2 new ones. does it make any difference to buy forged ones?

finally: about the flashing, i see so many numbers and values, i canīt figure it out who is telling the truth and who is not.
I read that with a stage 1 from vivid, iīll get a 80hp improvement. and with a stage 2 (flash, exhaust, headers, and filter) iīll get +120hp. Is this real? will i have this improvement on wheel horse power on a dyno?
All other tunners promisse a bit less for a flash and exhaust (about 80/100hp). Can softronic offer such a big difference? or is someone is not telling the whole story?
About flashing... i have the tunner in my city that can flash my car and tells me he garantee +50whp, and that i canīt get more power with just a flash.
What should i do? were should i go? local flash, and pay 400€ or cable flash and pay 1400€?

Iīve mailed nine excelence, and nobody answered back. I contact fvd and they tell me that they are the best, and that 1 will not achieve 120whp gains with the vividracing stage 2.

HELP PLEASE!!

(BY THE WAY, MY KEY FOB LIGHT BLINKS BUT IT DOESNīT OPEN THE CAR...ANY TIPS?)

thanks,

Adelino!

One more thing! Where do you get all those chicks for the battle pictures? Someone has to teach me the trick!! I canīt get anything like that here in portugal!

Last edited by adelino; 02-28-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Your key fob needs to be replaced or reprogrammed, sometimes they die out. It's all over the board.

I bought a new key module controller (fob) and had it re-programmed to car by my local shop with the tool to do it. Works great now.

If you get one off ebay or anywhere for that matter, make sure it comes with the programming code otherwise it's useless.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-battery.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ecognized.html

Last edited by dhahlen; 02-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks,

Iīll go to my porsche dealer to try and reprogram the keyfob.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adelino
Thanks,

Iīll go to my porsche dealer to try and reprogram the keyfob.
You'll probably just need a new one. The fob is roughly $100, much less if you want a new key blade made, that's where it gets pricey.

Dealer should stock replacement fob and be able to do programming for 0.5 hours labor.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
sdiamond911 is infamous around these parts
Wasn't that the least part of his question..? I'm interested to hear the gangs feedback too

Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
To answer your question about the exhaust mod: There really isn't much room to do a switchable exhaust. It could be done, but it would be pretty extensive. The cats bolt directly up to the turbo, you would need a cut over right before the cat and an extra pipe to go straight out. There isn't much room to work with.

In a typical car, when you have 8ft of exhaust to play with in a straight line, it's much easier. You're talking 2 feet in a porsche, if you were to measure in a straight line from the turbo to the rear bumper.

There are lots of exhausts out there that will give you the loud sound you wish for, without the drone. And people complain about drone all the time without really having dealt with it. I've had cars that droned bad, my rx-7 with a 4" pipe would make a **** load of drone. Find someone with a 996tt and a loud exhaust that you like, go cruising on the highway at 3000-4000rpm and see how it sounds. Europipe's Stage 2 Quiet/Loud are known for their quality sound with minimal drone. There are several shops out there that offer quality exhausts, my experience is limited to the Europipe.

Forged DV's: The forged dv's are made to disassemble and clean. They do not have the plastic/rubber diaphragms inside that can start to leak or crack over time. Now that doesn't mean a forged DV will last forever, some do go bad, but they will last significantly longer is some cases vs a regular dv. If you're pushing high boost, most people go after a DV that can support it and take a beating.

Flash: Tons of reputable shops out there that do it. Prices usually range for $1000-3000. You have all the options in the world, but find a shop or tuner you are comfortable with and has proven themselves. Don't skimp on a quality tune.

You can easily pull 50/80 hp/ftlbs from a reflash. It is literally a night a day difference. If you have an x50 package, the gains are closer to 100ftlbs. Torque is what you feel in the seat.

Cats: I believe stock are 400 cell. Get a quality replacement 100cell. People have had crap 100cell cats and picked up more power after switching to a quality 100 cell cat.

Turbo Manifolds: Good for a small bump in spool, usually 150-200rpm, but you won't see much power improvement, may 10-15hp/tq from my experience, but you will get more power under curve, which is nice.

Don't let the numbers get you all mixed up. But if you're after just numbers, look at all the dyno before/after comparisons that the shops put out. Shops may say you're picking up 120hp, but that'll actually translate to 90 at the wheels, etc. etc.

This forum has all the info, just dig through it

Last edited by dhahlen; 02-28-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the answers!

but here in portugal, there arenīt many 996ttīs on the road. Even fewer with aftermarket exhausts and mods... o i have too believe in other peopleīs ears!

About the repro, the garage in the near city as a nice reputation. And the guy tellīs me he had done some flashes for 996 tt, but he can only get +50hp and +70nm on his dyno.
He also tells me that many advirtise more hp gains, but that i shouldnīt believe that.
Hp gain isnīt my main goal, but since iīm putting some money on an exhaust and a flashm iīd like to get the most out of it, right?
So i really donīt know what to expect!

So, iīll wait for more opinions!! LOL!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
There are a couple of places in the U.S. that will definitely get more than +50hp on a 996TT from just a flash. A good flash will also give you significantly more torque.

If you search on this site for Protomotive, UMW, EPL or Softronic you should find plenty of information to read.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Ok... iīm convinced by the vivid dyno charts.

What about exhausts!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,At your level most tuners can give you a big improvemnt,its the best bang for the buck..
Like you know ,there are many exhausts out there..
I love my 100 cell Milltek because it is on the stealth side with still giving good power at my current level..
X-pipes have a different sound which alot of members like..
Good Luck..

Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM
What is the main difference from normal piping and x piping?

DOes anyone knows the vivid racing titanium exhaust? Will i have a quiet cabin when cruising?

Thanks,
Adelino

Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 AM
The cross piping will change the exhaust note a bit, it will also impact the exhaust pulses which can change the power output characteristics.

I have a guy who may be selling a standard Agency Power exhaust for a low price, you may be interested to try it out to get an idea of the sound. He may still have it, I'll ask if you're interested.

If I had to stamp a recommendation on an exhaust, I'd go with a Europipe Stage 2 Loud and 100 cell cats, but that's just me. I'd also buy the cat replacements (straight pipes), to swap out when I wanted to enjoy the less restricted sound

Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Speedtech 2.5 xflow exhaust 100 cell cats, epl stage 2 flash.
Both awesome shops plus they bundle and you get a deal.
I've had 5 exhausts and like you hate drone.
This setup worked awesome for me. Do a search many happy customers and the best after sales customer service you could imagine.
Plus sides, the exhaust is totally modular, straight pipes, catless etc. are quick switches and epl have tunes for just about any setup so if you decide to go bigger they can support any decision you make, plus they also offer discounts if you do upgrade rather than paying full pull everytime you change anything requiring a reflash.
Something to think about.
An I am no way associated with either company, just an extremely happy customer sharing my experience.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 PM
996landjet has a spectacular aura about996landjet has a spectacular aura about
I too am running Speedtech 2.5 xflow w/ 100 cell cats and an epl flash. It is my first exhaust, and am totally happy. I had similiar concerns. I did the mods a few days apart (Flash first) and was blown away at the flash alone, especially at 4500 rpm+. Then when I put the exhaust on it could breath better and scream! Seemed like there was a little drone at low rpms at first but now 5 months later I really don't notice it. And my neighbors don't hate me...
At least as far as I know.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have a client in Portugal with extensive mods and tune...
he is in Estoril... are you close?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Start modding!