996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Injector duty cycle calculation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Injector duty cycle calculation

After checking in the Knowledge Base section for Durametric info I found the following formula to calculate Injector Duty Cycle:

Duty cycle = (RPM*Injection time)/1200

I did some high RPM pulls and found the Injector Duty Cycle running over 100 once boost approaches 1 Bar and RPMs get over 5000. It actually peaked at 108.9. Is this dangerous? I'm only running an EPL flash on my K16 car with an open exhaust so I would think I shouldn't exceed 80.

Maybe I am misinterpreting or I have the wrong formula. Can anyone shed some light on this calculation and weather it is reason for concern?
I've attached a word doc with a few seconds of the log.
Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: doc
DurametricLog.doc (67.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
So the formula I used to calculate DC looks OK?

I was considering a second fuel pump in the near future at the same time as a pair of Alpha28's, injectors, better intercoolers and a re-tune. I thought the stock pump was good for close to 600whp with upgraded injectors but I guess I should consider an inline 2nd pump. I was also considering a meth system to compensate for the terrible gas in California.

Last edited by mrmaass; 03-05-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
just speaking out loud: we use injectors with A28s or 18gs etc and thats good for low 600s to the wheels.. no need for any pump upgrades... Im guessing Tony misread your post...
his 72 lbs with 5 bar and k16 billets are run on stock pumps as well..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Originally Posted by mrmaass
Maybe I am misinterpreting or I have the wrong formula. Can anyone shed some light on this calculation and weather it is reason for concern?
your lambda values are on the rich side and stay stable. Although the injectors are at their edge of what they can deliver, the car is not (yet) running lean.

But there is no more reserve left over. If you push the car harder in combination with more boost (cold air) and bad fuel then you might push it too far.

I would check your fuel pressure and also log the adaption ranges (FRA) values as well (both banks). Lambda for both banks, too, of course. Logging the iginition angle is always a good thing as well.

What FPR do you have? Stock or 5 bar?

Regards,
Andreas

Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies and I will keep an eye on future logs to make sure I don't have any fuel starvation issues. Fuel system is completely stock right now (no 5 bar or upgraded injectors). Since I'm planning a turbo upgrade in a couple months I will be sure to add the necessary additional fuel pressure at that time.
It looks like the EPL tune is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - maximize the power of a basic setup like mine while keeping it within the boundaries of safety.
Tony, does EPL still sell an Alpha 28 upgrade package? Turbos, injectors and a re-tune is what I have in mind.
When the car is cold, like this morning, and I get on it on the freeway entrance it still impresses me. It makes me wonder why I am compelled to mod further.
I've caught the disease.