996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weird noise, car inoperable. Possibly clutch, engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Weird noise, car inoperable. Possibly clutch, engine?

Happened at the track, car had a used triple plate carbonetic. K24/18g, running 100 octane at 1.1bar.

Noticed a weird noise in the decel, sounded like it was choking.

-Oil pressure good
-Temps are normal
-No leaks
-Nothing odd in the oil filter

Heard the noise, shut off the engine.

Couldn't start the car to move it on the tow truck.

Friends ended up pushing it, I dumped the clutch and it fired up, had to give it a bunch of gas to keep it running at first. Finally got it to idle, exhaust note sounded fine; however, engaging the clutch made a similar noise to what's in the video. Drove it up onto the tow trunk where it stalled.

I figure the pressure plate on the clutch exploded and something jammed up against the flywheel, preventing the starter from turning the flywheel.

Pulled codes I had P30x for engine misfires on 1,2,4,6

Last over-rev was an hour before max engine run time. Probably due to reflash and driving at the top of 2nd/3rd on the track.

If anyone is familiar with the sound, input would be appreciated. I did not hear any knocking or clanging, just this whirling sound.

Car is getting towed to EvoMS, unfortunately they do not have time to work on it until Friday or Monday/Tuesday.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Well, the problem is obvious. However, I am trying to figure out how this happened.

I don't have a picture of the bell housing, but it was sheared on the inside, but not enough to put any holes in it. I have a couple of theories, but I figured I'd get some other input from those who may have seen this before.

The starter is likely from me trying to start the car after it was locked up.

The clutch internals are fine, but obviously the flywheel is not. The starter may be salvageable, but I'll probably replace it.

Some questions:

-Is it possible for a bolt to back out of the assembly?
-If so, what would cause it to do so?
-The flywheel cannot make contact with the bell housing when it's attached to the input shaft, so what would cost the bell housing to get sheared and the teeth on the flywheel to grind down?

Attached Images     
Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Is it possible that your starter didn't retract (or retract all the way?)after starting the car and it just spun (freewheeled) and just got hot after a while and maybe seized on the shaft, allowing the flywheel to take that punishment?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM
I thought about that, but that wouldn't cause the damage in the bell housing. The starter seems to retract fine, albeit by hand, but it could be a possibility.