996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Polished the Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Polished the Turbo

When I picked up my car last fall it was full of swirls so I gave it a good polish. It was good at first (see first pic below in harsh direct sunlight) but quickly swirled again.

So before it got anywhere near as bad as when took delivery I spent about two and a half hours on it this weekend. I think this is the best the car has ever looked. Completely swirl free. I don't have a decent camera so I didn't take any photos but I found this one that someone took of my car from Cars and Coffee yesterday. If any more pop up I'll post them up, too.

I used my Griots Garage polisher.
Menzerna FG400 - Purple pad (on bad areas), switch to orange pad, then switched to a white pad. The gloss is very good here just using that one compound but up to three pads. Not good enough so on to...
Menzerna SuperFinish with a red pad.
Poorboys Blackhole with a black pad.
Pinnacle Souveran - two coats applied by hand.

Since this cars paint swirls so easily I am going through my regular cleaning process and eliminating as much as possible that involves contact with the paint.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	622818_10151209462099591_424893653_o.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	219839   Click image for larger version

Name:	886454_10151480396064820_2088445683_o.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	219840  
Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! Need more pics though

I have a non-metallic black BMW. I know what you're talking about . The key is to NEVER go to a car wash (even the hand wash ones) and DIY. If you want to get really picky, you can get one of those air dryers and you don't even have to touch the car anymore to dry it . Porsche paint is relatively soft, so it swirls/scratches easily.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Looking good sinKing we need more pictures though !! Was this at a local CC event over the weekend ?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Nice! Need more pics though

I have a non-metallic black BMW. I know what you're talking about . The key is to NEVER go to a car wash (even the hand wash ones) and DIY. If you want to get really picky, you can get one of those air dryers and you don't even have to touch the car anymore to dry it . Porsche paint is relatively soft, so it swirls/scratches easily.
If no more pics pop up from Cars and Coffee I'll pull the car out into the sun and take some with my Galaxy S2...sometimes it produces good pics.

I use a good quality mitt and two bucket method. I am going to be getting a leaf blower so I can at least delete the chamois from the equation.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Looking good sinKing we need more pictures though !! Was this at a local CC event over the weekend ?
Thanks.

Yup, it was the Austin Cars and Coffee. Not as good of a turnout as the past few months, probably due to the thunderstorms we got just a couple hours before, but it was still a decent turnout with several Porsches, a couple Ferraris, and a couple Lamborghinis representing.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sinKing
I use a good quality mitt and two bucket method. I am going to be getting a leaf blower so I can at least delete the chamois from the equation.
I started using a large microfiber towel for drying. It is easier on the paint but not ideal on dark colors since it leaves a little water residue. Very fast though.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Nice and shiny! looking good indeed. Also a fan of the color

Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
I was out in the garage and noticed the reflection of my compressor in the hood and had to take a picture. The back half of the car is pretty dusty. I'll wash it this weekend and take some better pictures then.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130311_190103_zps8ab48f2c.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	220022  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Looking good!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Myclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the rough
wow..that last pic looks great!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
I took some pics of the car today. I also included the M3 since I polished that up this weekend, too. Most of the pictures didn't turn out that great but when I promise people on the internet something I deliver.

No swirls or scratches but too bad you can't polish out rock chips.

2010 M3. Jerez Black. It's a pretty cool color as it will look black in some angles and blue in others.

The front bumper has a horrible quality clear bra on it.

Attached Images          
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
litecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nice
I have seen a few cars that have used C-Quartz to solve this problem. Seemed to work pretty well.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Beautiful car bro!!!

Don't worry about rock chips. Battle scars.....She will always be function over form
and she's not concerned with a few chips as long as you keep her healthy.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by layinback
Beautiful car bro!!!

Don't worry about rock chips. Battle scars.....She will always be function over form
and she's not concerned with a few chips as long as you keep her healthy.
Thanks man. Recognize that exhaust?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Thanks for the pictures sinKing Looking good, I see what you mean with the M3 color, how it does look different at different angles. Loving those wheels on the 996 though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Polished the Turbo