996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Neutral vs. Downshifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Since I get to the track so infrequently, I always like to practice my heel / toe & rev matching every where I drive. I feel that it makes me a better driver.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Zippy
Since I get to the track so infrequently, I always like to practice my heel / toe & rev matching every where I drive. I feel that it makes me a better driver.
I agree with you Zippy. 24K miles and clutch is in excellent condition.

By the way, are you talking about on the John Deere or the Porsche?

Old 07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by GFORCED
I agree with you Zippy. 24K miles and clutch is in excellent condition.

By the way, are you talking about on the John Deere or the Porsche?

Unfortunately the JD doesn't have gears.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Croatian Sensation
brab is infamous around these parts
Bottom line if you know how to use a stick shift you will downshift, if you don't you will use the brakes.
If you do everything properly there is minimum wear to clutch and engine. And every single decent driving school will choose downshifting over just neutral+brakes, at least in Europe.

And to answer your question about safety, what would you rather do, downshift or just slam the brakes in snow, sleet, ice and rain???

Old 07-19-2005, 03:30 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
I try to anticipate the light and get off the gas well before and lightly brake, as my goal is to keep the car rolling so when the light turns green I'm not moving from a dead stop. This requires heel & toe downshifts to be in the correct gear while minimizing engine braking and clutch wear.

Towards a stop sign/full stop brake without heel & toe, then push in clutch once stopped. Braking while in neutral is bad practice.

If I come to a stop and won't be moving for awhile then car goes in neutral.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:31 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 20C4S
if i know i'm going to a full stop i always use Neutral. i'm in LA so u figured
If I see arling infront of me coming to a stop, I just put into neutral, ride on his bumper, let him bring my car to a stop too.

No wear at all to my car.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I always downshift to slow, always rev match even if i'm not heeln-toeing. I downshift into first at the last moment, open my door, stick my foot out to come to a complete stop. My brakes are still at 50% at 43k miles!

Old 07-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Fred Flintstone style!