996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Would I see any benefit to upgrading my intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Would I see any benefit to upgrading my intercoolers?

Current mods are an EPL tune and an exhaust.

I may upgrade my turbos at some point in the future but it would be nice to just get the turbos, injectors, and tune at that time and jump on one when I find a good deal before then. Would I see a benefit at this point over my stock intercooler? Keep in mind I also live in hot *** Texas.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Yes you would.. I noticed a difference when I put them on after my K24/18g upgrade and I live in Chicago..

Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
BUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the rough
More efficient Intercoolers are never a bad idea, but may not be "needed". Log your car or have it logged. If you see that it is close to heat soaking during your style of driving upgrade. That would really be the only way to see the measurable benefits for your use of the car. Being in Texas I would think that if you enjoy repeated pulls you should upgrade the intercoolers. The efficiency of a turbo system is key. Keep that charged air cool

Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Yes you would.. I noticed a difference when I put them on after my K24/18g upgrade and I live in Chicago..
I'm only on stock K16's right now. I would think if anything it seems like the 997.2 and other aftermarket intercoolers would at least flow better from smoother endtank designs.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
BUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the rough
You would def see improvements and would be set up for future mods... Tune, exhaust and intercoolers are my first go to mods along with suspension and tires... They work in unison.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
With the texas heat in the summer , you'll might not lose as much hp with bigger ic.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
You should do it because those 997.2 ICs wouldn't hurt and only help down the road with future mods and more boost in hot temps.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
Not to threadjack but what are our IC options?

USP
EVO
?
?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Evolution Motorsports and Todd at Protomotive both have great InterCoolers,
Markski does also

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
have you thought about meth kit instead of IC ? cooling and octane at the same time for less money, didnt test this but i think will work better than just ICs

Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Bang for the buck is the 997.2 coolers..AWE also makes good coolers..

Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fadi
have you thought about meth kit instead of IC ? cooling and octane at the same time for less money, didnt test this but i think will work better than just ICs
I don't want to do meth because I don't want to take the chance that something could go wrong like the pump stop running when I am going WOT or my tank going dry. I think it is cool as long as it is working but I am not willing to take the risk. I'd rather build my setup around the fewest parts that are capable of failure even if I am leaving HP on the table.

Originally Posted by johnspeed
Bang for the buck is the 997.2 coolers..AWE also makes good coolers..
I was originally thinking I would go with the 997.2 but since Porsche increased the price on them they aren't much cheaper than the 911Tuning intercoolers. I'm not going to be too picky about the brand. I'll keep my eye open for a used set in good condition for a good price. When it pops up I'll research to see if it will work well with my setup and go from there. If I was planning on buying new and doing a 1k HP build I'd be more particular past picking a good quality set for a good price.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sinKing
I don't want to do meth because I don't want to take the chance that something could go wrong like the pump stop running when I am going WOT or my tank going dry. I think it is cool as long as it is working but I am not willing to take the risk. I'd rather build my setup around the fewest parts that are capable of failure even if I am leaving HP on the table.

I was originally thinking I would go with the 997.2 but since Porsche increased the price on them they aren't much cheaper than the 911Tuning intercoolers. I'm not going to be too picky about the brand. I'll keep my eye open for a used set in good condition for a good price. When it pops up I'll research to see if it will work well with my setup and go from there. If I was planning on buying new and doing a 1k HP build I'd be more particular past picking a good quality set for a good price.
I have both in sunny, muggy south Florida, HSF 6 water/meth - fail/safe setups are great, once you use it you know what to look for, never let the tank get to low, I also went with USP intercoolers, even tracking the car in the heat of the summer it runs as cool as can be. going on 3 years. Planning on having Chris check everything lines, etc. I really like the set up. If your upgrading I would also recommend intake pipes while the engine is out, spool quicker, great sound!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sinKing
Current mods are an EPL tune and an exhaust.

I may upgrade my turbos at some point in the future but it would be nice to just get the turbos, injectors, and tune at that time and jump on one when I find a good deal before then. Would I see a benefit at this point over my stock intercooler? Keep in mind I also live in hot *** Texas.
you answered yourself the question.. why beat it to death...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
How long does a meth install take?

Is it a tough job?

Meth + ICs would be a great duo

----

OP
If you get a Aquamist HFS-6 they have fail-safes and will not run the tank dry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would I see any benefit to upgrading my intercoolers?