996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion - Front CV Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Booztd 3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ttboost
Both. Save about 70lbs with a full conversion, and you get that GT2 feeling...
My car felt much faster with the RWD conversion, and quite frankly was useless as an AWD vehicle. Some just drop the front axles, which is kind of useless. The right way is to remove axles and front differential.
Definitely remove the differential. It is a good amount of weight when you consider the driveshaft and torque tube that go with it....

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Booztd 3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HIX
My front diff makes a 'whine' that has driven me nuts since I bought the car. I'm wondering if this might be a good way to take care of that. I just don't want to lose performance if it's better AWD.
The good thing here is that if you don't like it, you can always go back provided you save everything and don't destroy the axles.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIX
My front diff makes a 'whine' that has driven me nuts since I bought the car. I'm wondering if this might be a good way to take care of that. I just don't want to lose performance if it's better AWD.
I hear you. Quite honestly, I bought the 996 Turbo because it was AWD. After some seat time, I realized it was all hype. I dumped the AWD and went FULL RWD. Car was WAY more fun. I did a lot of additional weight loss mods to the tune of 250lbs, so it was very noticeable mod. It's really only about an hour job if you are handy with a wrench. Maybe a little longer if you don't have acces to a lift.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
I'm excited to try it out. The AWD in these cars is terrible anyways, even with snow tires it wasn't anything to write home about in the winter.

With the engine being in the back, I don't forsee any traction issues either at the HP i'm at. The saved weight is just an plus.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
I'd love to try out a car with this to see how it feels. My major concern that keeps me from being gung ho about trying it on mine is that the weight distribution is already far too biased to the rear for my liking so I'd rather not make it even more biased. On the other hand I love the idea of losing more weight.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
the AWD aint for the snow lols.

Personally, I never understood this "mod". Oh well, to each their own.

I wonder how many Gallardo owners "mod" their AWD car to be RWD only?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttpopo
the AWD aint for the snow lols.

Personally, I never understood this "mod". Oh well, to each their own.

Says the guy from SoCal.

The Gallardo AWD is light years better than the 996tt AWD. As soon as the 996tt dif takes crapper, it's dead weight anyway...I liked my car WAY better after the RWD conversion...many feel the same way...you can actually drive the car.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Quite a few actually...

Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
ZAAA
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1
Quite a few actually...
Why not buy a RWD gallardo then??

Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Says the guy from SoCal.

The Gallardo AWD is light years better than the 996tt AWD. As soon as the 996tt dif takes crapper, it's dead weight anyway...I liked my car WAY better after the RWD conversion...many feel the same way...you can actually drive the car.

hehe.

I like the AWD in the rain. The extra stability is nice too w 640HP. Any understeer I used to have was fixed w/ a properly set up/aligned PSS9 setup and 235/245 front tires, but I get it to each their own.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PL2
Hi,

I just don't understand why everybody is going to the trouble of destroying good axles.

You can replace the stub AKA "Tension bolt" with the 2WD part from the GT2 or 996.

Part # 99634113190 #5 in picture below.

Wrong. The GT2 stub axle will not fit the TT. Been there, done that.....

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
ZAAA

Why not buy a RWD gallardo then??

Because that wasn't an option the first few years they were made.

And If it a GT2 didn't cost so much more than a turbo, I would've bought one too.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIX
When you remove the front diff you will end up with a one wheel drive car due to the fact that the 996TT has an open diff. To do the conversion to RWD properly you will need to get an LSD. An LSD is a fantastic addition to AWD as a matter of fact. It's a whole different car. It's amazing how many people get all wrapped up with adding power when an LSD is one of the best mods for putting power to the ground. I wonder why all GT2s and GT3s come with and LSD from the factory, hmmm......

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-27-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
In order to do RWD conversion does one have to do anything in programing? or just take the parts out and that is it?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
The more I read about RWD conversions the more tempted I get. I want to do a 1.5 way LSD before I try it, though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion - Front CV Mod