996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion - Front CV Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by contigo
In order to do RWD conversion does one have to do anything in programing? or just take the parts out and that is it?
drop it and go. no programming needed

Originally Posted by sinKing
The more I read about RWD conversions the more tempted I get. I want to do a 1.5 way LSD before I try it, though.
easier to try it first and see if you like it. if not put it back in

Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
PSM/stability control goes nuts if you have an LSD with AWD system in place. Trust me, I know...

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
When you remove the front diff you will end up with a one wheel drive car due to the fact that the 996TT has an open diff. To do the conversion to RWD properly you will need to get an LSD. An LSD is a fantastic addition to AWD as a matter of fact. It's a whole different car. It's amazing how many people get all wrapped up with adding power when an LSD is one of the best mods for putting power to the ground. I wonder why all GT2s and GT3s come with and LSD from the factory, hmmm......

Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ms4cd
PSM/stability control goes nuts if you have an LSD with AWD system in place. Trust me, I know...
I had PSM disabled on my car long before adding an LSD.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
I had PSM disabled on my car long before adding an LSD.
Unless PSM is permanently disabled I would not recommend having LSD and AWD simultaneously.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ms4cd
Unless PSM is permanently disabled I would not recommend having LSD and AWD simultaneously.
Porsche offered an LSD (albeit a very mild one) as an option on the last year of the 996tt so it obviously is compatible, for street use anyway. Matt at Guard doesn't see it as a problem either IIRC. I have a couple of local guys to me one of whom has a 1000hp Protomotive AWD 996tt with a Guard LSD and he has had no issues running with PSM on his car. I think he just uses the off button everytime he starts his car. Results may vary I guess. Personally, deleting PSM is one of the best things you can do in concert with an LSD.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Actually I think Matt said he didn't think LSD and PSM are good together. I thought he said that at least. Maybe he can chime in.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Actually I think Matt said he didn't think LSD and PSM are good together. I thought he said that at least. Maybe he can chime in.
I may be wrong but I think that Matt told me that since an LSD would prevent one wheel from spinning relative to the other (due to the LSD locking up) that this would keep PSM from activating prematurely or at least delay its actuation under acceleration. For track cars though I believe he recommended to disable it.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
My motivation to convert to RWD is the following:

1) Weight reduction in concert with other pieces I've removed along the way
2) Feedback and traction increase when paired with a Guard TBD
3) Ability to run more tire options on the rear independent of the front tire option

My car is a fair weather car that only sees dry nice roads. I see no reason why not to convert to RWD. I had planned to install a TBD at the same time as a clutch/flywheel change.

My thoughts were to source a used set of front axles as the donors for stubs.

Chris.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
When you remove the front diff you will end up with a one wheel drive car due to the fact that the 996TT has an open diff. To do the conversion to RWD properly you will need to get an LSD. An LSD is a fantastic addition to AWD as a matter of fact. It's a whole different car. It's amazing how many people get all wrapped up with adding power when an LSD is one of the best mods for putting power to the ground. I wonder why all GT2s and GT3s come with and LSD from the factory, hmmm......
So you can take out the axles with no problems and no issues, but if you drop the front diff and remove it you're down to 'One wheel drive'?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 AM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sinKing
I'm guessing this is done to retain the ABS reluctor ring? If possible a badass would have all that extra material machined off for weight savings.
You mean like this?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	d-shaft_3.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	256321  
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
hey guy'S
i dont understand why people dyno's aftermarket crank pulley's ect but no one dyno the far more benefits awd rwd conversion?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT996
You mean like this?
Very nice.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mtlsp
hey guy'S
i dont understand why people dyno's aftermarket crank pulley's ect but no one dyno the far more benefits awd rwd conversion?
I tried to, way back when. We didn't find any real difference in power, so we assumed my differential was bad? We expected to see a 3-6% increase in power...didn't happen.
Forced me to do a full AWD conversion..never looked back...

Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Did anyone determine if you take the front diff out that it really does turn your car into 1 wheel drive if you don't add an LSD?

That doesn't sound good!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIX
Did anyone determine if you take the front diff out that it really does turn your car into 1 wheel drive if you don't add an LSD?

That doesn't sound good!
Can't say for sure, but I will say that my RWD conversion cut my traction considerably at the 600rwhp level...so my guess is yes...1 wheel squeal...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion - Front CV Mod