996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Conversion - Front CV Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Booztd 3 is infamous around these parts
RWD Conversion - Front CV Mod

Guys

Its unlikely I will post here much but after finding just a few threads on the RWD conversion process I noticed there was some confusion about how to properly dismantle the front axles.

I read a few things about just breaking the axles - Not sure why anyone would ever want to do that when these come apart with little fuss.

In any matter, the front dif should be out prior to the following steps.

1. Loosen Axle Nut (32mm) This will take a good gun and compressor - or someone with a big set on them. Do not remove nut all the way, the tool I use in the next step can get out of hand quickly.

2. Back the axle nut to the edge of the axle so it protects the threads. Use an air hammer and chisel bit to knock the axle loose from the hub

The axle will free up - you can then remove the axle nut and remove the axle by hand.

3. Put the axle in a suitable vice - Remove the dust boot clips

4. Use a dull utensil or flat headed screwdriver to break the seal loose of the CV boot. Slide it out of the way to reveal this terrible mess

5. Clean it all off with a rag, and then hit it with a good amount of parts cleaner. Do this several times and continue to work/wobble the CV around so it works more grease out. The more you can get out now the less messy you'll get. Eventually you'll clean enough to reveal the C-clip that holds the CV onto the shaft as shown

6. I used a small flat headed screwdriver to get the C-clip pried apart a little. I then wedged in a set of ground-down 90 degree needle nose pliars and pried them apart. This will take several attemps as it requires some finesse. I used a brass hammer to lightly tap the CV forward. You can see here the clip is off of the groove and CV has moved outwards a bit

7. Continue off, now you can discard or set-aside the shaft (Yes, thats 100% pure genuine hickory in the background)

8. Put the leftover CV portion in the vice

9. Using a small hammer you can move around the race to begin pulling out the bearings. One by one you can use a magnet to remove them.

10. Now you can remove the race. It appears like its stuck in there by some form of sorcery...position it as follows and it will pull straight upwards.

11. Now clean it all up and install in the car.

12. Feel good you didn't just pull a VGLNTE and beat the **** out of it with a hammer.

Attached Images               
Old 03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Booztd 3
7. Continue off, now you can discard or set-aside the shaft (Yes, thats 100% pure genuine hickory in the background)

I'm guessing this is done to retain the ABS reluctor ring? If possible a badass would have all that extra material machined off for weight savings.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
hahaha...nice write up Andy. Wish I was there to throw it all back together with ya

Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yep..that's exactly what I did way back when. Nice write up. Put all that crap in a ziplock bag and you can put it back to AWD whenever you want.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
never occured to me to move the c clip inboard! i spent over an hour trying to get it off the shaft without success. DOH! oh well live and learn.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I didn't know there was a clip in there until we cleaned it up and saw it. Kinda tough to get out, but it will come out.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Do you plan to sell these parts?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Nice write up Andy, LOL'd at the VGLNTE part.

The parts won't be for sale, at least not anytime soon.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM
I got quite a few things back together tonight. The clutch/PP/FW are all in, trans stabbed, and the slave all hooked up.

Next step is the bleeding procedure to see if we can really start buttoning it up....

Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM
PL2
PL2 is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I just don't understand why everybody is going to the trouble of destroying good axles.

You can replace the stub AKA "Tension bolt" with the 2WD part from the GT2 or 996.

Part # 99634113190 #5 in picture below.

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM
That is a viable option as well. I didn't spend more than 10-15 mins a piece on each axle getting them apart and probably half of that time was spent ensuring I didn't grease up my phone while taking the pictures. I guess its dependent on how much your time is worth....

Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I hate reading these easy does it pop it out threads after I've destroyed not one but TWO sets of these things with the old hack saw jim duggans dremel routine.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Probably a dumb question but what is the advantage of losing AWD? Just more fun or less weight?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by HIX
Probably a dumb question but what is the advantage of losing AWD? Just more fun or less weight?

Both. Save about 70lbs with a full conversion, and you get that GT2 feeling...
My car felt much faster with the RWD conversion, and quite frankly was useless as an AWD vehicle. Some just drop the front axles, which is kind of useless. The right way is to remove axles and front differential.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
My front diff makes a 'whine' that has driven me nuts since I bought the car. I'm wondering if this might be a good way to take care of that. I just don't want to lose performance if it's better AWD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion - Front CV Mod