996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dumb question about Bumperplug's door plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:00 PM
nash is infamous around these parts
Dumb question about Bumperplug's door plugs

When I don't drive the car for a week or so, the key fob doesn't unlock the car. Therefore, I have to use the key to open the car. For those who have a door plug, what happens when you don't drive your car for a week - what do you do? Or is it only my car that does this?

Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Piece of cake. There's 1/16" of space around the door plug so you can slip a fingernail in there and pop it off, insert key, remove key, reinsert door plug.

Simple.

Just email me man, I'm here all the time for questions.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Thanks, I'll place an order in the next day or two. Always thought that no-key-fob-after-a-week was one of the stranger "features" of the car. Not really sure how it helps security (since the key is attached to the fob, so if you have the key, you have the fob), but maybe it serves some other purpose.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Cody_1 is infamous around these parts
Re: Dumb question about Bumperplug's door plugs

Originally posted by nash
When I don't drive the car for a week or so, the key fob doesn't unlock the car. Therefore, I have to use the key to open the car. For those who have a door plug, what happens when you don't drive your car for a week - what do you do? Or is it only my car that does this?
I don't have this issue w/ my key fob. Although after a recent swap-out of the remote sensor, I have to be REALLY close to the car for the fob to work.

Sounds like an interesting feature on your car.

- Rich

Old 07-21-2005, 01:18 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
forgot the exact time but yes if u lock the car & don't unluck in a 4 or 5 days period the remote sensor will go to a sleep mode therefore the remote will no longer work.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Thanks, I'll place an order in the next day or two. Always thought that no-key-fob-after-a-week was one of the stranger "features" of the car. Not really sure how it helps security (since the key is attached to the fob, so if you have the key, you have the fob), but maybe it serves some other purpose.
My suggestion would be that you also pick up the rear wiper plug and remove it while you are at it. The rear wiper is a car washing accident waiting to happen and to be honest, the car looks 10x more clean without the rear wiper.

Eric makes some incredible products for these cars and they work flawlessly.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Ruiner
My suggestion would be that you also pick up the rear wiper plug and remove it while you are at it. The rear wiper is a car washing accident waiting to happen and to be honest, the car looks 10x more clean without the rear wiper.
In fact, that was the reason I was placing the order - the wiper delete plug. I just thought I'd throw in the door plug at the same time, and it brought up the key fob issue

Old 07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
when i don't use the car for a week, if it's in my garage, i leave it unlocked. saves the hassle of having to pop the door plug out.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
CamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really nice
Eric,

Do you know of a way to extend the amount of time before the car goes into "sleep" mode? Is it a program setting in the vehicle or is it a function of the key?

Old 07-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
In fact, that was the reason I was placing the order - the wiper delete plug. I just thought I'd throw in the door plug at the same time, and it brought up the key fob issue
Good call. You will absolutely LOVE the way that the 996 turbo looks w/o that hideous rear wiper.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
ar38070 is infamous around these parts
The reason why the car goes to sleep is to conserve the car battery. If it did not go to sleep the car batttery would be dead in about a month.

As far as I know this is a feature and cannot be changed.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ar38070
The reason why the car goes to sleep is to conserve the car battery. If it did not go to sleep the car batttery would be dead in about a month.
Makes sense, but what does this car do differently than "regular" cars that don't go to sleep? I've never heard of the keyfob receiver going to sleep on any other car.