996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Advice on shipping a car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Possibly an affordable choice...but I'd just make sure he's insured.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
just so you know the zr1 corvette is shipped everyday on open carriers to every chevy dealer in the usa.
There are over 3,000 chevy dealers in the USA. New ZR1's are arriving daily at every single one? You'd think you'd see more of them on the road, if that were true...

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
There are over 3,000 chevy dealers in the USA. New ZR1's are arriving daily at every single one? You'd think you'd see more of them on the road, if that were true...
thats not what i meant. at the bowling green ky corvette factory every single corvette that rolls off the assembly line is transported by jack cooper inc on an open carrier which includes every zr1 vette. thats to say every chevy dealer in the country that orders a corvette gets it delivered on an open carrier. better?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
If you looking for a shipper - Intercity Lines is a sponsor here. I have used them in the past, and they have been very reliable, transporting my 996TT as well as my 997 GT2. I believe they offer discount pricing to 6speed members.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-members.html

I have also used Gran Turismo Motorsport Transport - they have been the preferred transport for RAC Performance in Dallas (I sent my 997TT for a Ruf RTurbo conversion.)

Regardless of who you chose, insist on covered transport.
x2. Do yourself a favor and go with intercity you will not be disappointed. First class operation.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Back on-topic... what would a reputable, enclosed transport cost to round-trip from Atlanta to Chicago and back with the price of fuel these days? $2-3k? More?

Markski knows these cars well, no doubt... but IMHO that's a lot of coin to spend on shipping when there are lots and lots of expert Porsche mechanics throughout the country. With your proximity to Road Atlanta, I'd imagine there are a handful in your backyard, relatively speaking.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 PM
thats not what i meant. at the bowling green ky corvette factory every single corvette that rolls off the assembly line is transported by jack cooper inc on an open carrier which includes every zr1 vette. thats to say every chevy dealer in the country that orders a corvette gets it delivered on an open carrier. better?
I know that wasn't what you meant... thus the "smiley" at the end of my comment. Just picking some nits - sorry if it came across wrong.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BMiller33
x2. Do yourself a favor and go with intercity you will not be disappointed. First class operation.
he went there. they werent interested.
i did a quick search and open carrier fees ranged from 500 to 1500 . would guess enclosed is another 1000.
theres a great shop right in atl that has an in house tuner and also will willingly work with any other tuner the customer wants. they can do full motor , trans or diff builds or change the air filter. its up to the customer

this time of yr a road trip is the best. then fly home cost less than 500$ total both ways

Last edited by 32krazy!; 04-01-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Got a call in to a friend I went to school with who is an auto transport broker. We'll see what he comes back with. If not then maybe I will make it a road trip.

As far as reputable tuners around Atlanta...........I know of TopSpeed and have been told to look at Buckhead imports. But I want someone who knows THESE cars, not something about a bunch of different cars.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
1. Cars ship from the factory are shipped with protective film/wax, no?

2. Cars damaged in shipment, scratched, etc are detailed before the new buyer has a clue.

3. I'd never use a broker as they will simply bid the job to the lowest cost Tom dick Harry. I want to speak to the COMPANY that owns the truck and employs the driver.

Op did you try DeMoist Trking?? Very highly rated.

A

Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ard
1. Cars ship from the factory are shipped with protective film/wax, no?

2. Cars damaged in shipment, scratched, etc are detailed before the new buyer has a clue.

3. I'd never use a broker as they will simply bid the job to the lowest cost Tom dick Harry. I want to speak to the COMPANY that owns the truck and employs the driver.

Op did you try DeMoist Trking?? Very highly rated.

A
only the convertable tops are covered. some edges are wrapped but for the most part delivered uncovered. funny thing was when cadillac had the xlr built there all xlr cars were delivered in covered wagons
you do see cars that come from a port facility to wrapped in a film or canvas

not sure what the dealer does to a damaged car has to do with this thread.
there are many trucking co. that use owner operators and are for the most part independent contractors. they carry the company base plate but provide the rig and the maintenence and ins.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
only the convertable tops are covered. some edges are wrapped but for the most part delivered uncovered. funny thing was when cadillac had the xlr built there all xlr cars were delivered in covered wagons
you do see cars that come from a port facility to wrapped in a film or canvas

there are many trucking co. that use owner operators and are for the most part independent contractors. they carry the company base plate but provide the rig and the maintenence and ins.
Steve - do you know of any good companies that would go from CA to NY?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
The point is that the people deciding on the open carrier for NEW CARS from mfg to dealership- and potential paint damage- dont give a crap if the paint is damaged- so what they grind down the cleacoat or paint a panel....in the end they dont care and the end owner never knows. They shrug, its insured, an extra few days in the body shop...

When you are transporting your own car you may not want stuff repainted. Some people dont care. Others do. But do you really think that getting your car delivered with needing something repaired is no big deal and is equivalent to just getting the car without damage??? As long as it is insured, its all good right? Who pays the bill if for some reason one of the "independent contractors" doesnt have coverage? it lapsed, or there was a paperwork mix up.

Oh, and lets not forget the BS that occurs is god forbid you dont notice something and you happen to sign the receipt document. You are SOL. and if the car is covered in grim and road crap, how DO you perform an effective inspection??? What IS under all the dirt?

Everyone can make the call themselves, but i tend to be one that makes decisions to minimize risk and exposure- and not one that assumes 'everything will work the way it is supposed to and all will be fine'

Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ard
The point is that the people deciding on the open carrier for NEW CARS from mfg to dealership- and potential paint damage- dont give a crap if the paint is damaged- so what they grind down the cleacoat or paint a panel....in the end they dont care and the end owner never knows. They shrug, its insured, an extra few days in the body shop...
that couldnt be farther from the truth. dealers often have cars especially vettes that are special ordered. if it comes in damaged then the customer certainly knows as they are following the transport online or thru the dealership and often are there when the car is delivered to take fotos and vids. finding a damaged panel or worse a dent on an a pillar could mean a loss sale and a totalled car that can take months for ins to cover.

dan i would say try intercity first. coast to coast wont be cheap