996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Advice on shipping a car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Advice on shipping a car?

I'm trying to get my car up to Markski to have him do a few things. Trying to ship from 31904 Columbus GA to 60067 Palatine IL.

Anyone have any suggestions for an affordable shipper or any other cost effective ways of doing this?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If you looking for a shipper - Intercity Lines is a sponsor here. I have used them in the past, and they have been very reliable, transporting my 996TT as well as my 997 GT2. I believe they offer discount pricing to 6speed members.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-members.html

I have also used Gran Turismo Motorsport Transport - they have been the preferred transport for RAC Performance in Dallas (I sent my 997TT for a Ruf RTurbo conversion.)

Regardless of who you chose, insist on covered transport.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
Call:
(888) 520 6725
(520) 873 9008

Ask for Bryan.

Tell him Enes from Minnesota told you to call.

He can list you up and get a good price.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Thanks guys, I will check out both options.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Go enclosed if you can. I own a transport brokerage and a lot of the open carriers are pretty hit or miss with taking care of your car really well. Enclosed the standard of care (and typical cars being shipped) mean they expect lowered/wide vehicles and are more careful of paint, scratches, etc.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by daedalus
Go enclosed if you can. I own a transport brokerage and a lot of the open carriers are pretty hit or miss with taking care of your car really well. Enclosed the standard of care (and typical cars being shipped) mean they expect lowered/wide vehicles and are more careful of paint, scratches, etc.
really? waggoneers, swift, centurion, and das all have enclosed carriers and i wouldnt let any of them haul my lawnmower. theres nothing wrong with an open carrier if the driver is experienced and careful. enclosed is certainly an option due to weather but unless its a ferrari or a high dollar car its not neccessary. a ten yr old 50k car just doesnt qualify.

try hansen and atkins, for that travel lane. obviously reliable or horseless carriage would be a great carrier but be prepared to pay a premium. jack cooper hauls over 80% of the big 3 new autos and approx 30% of the used car traffic and do the job also. ask for a bowling green truck if you can. they haul every vette made across the entire usa
cassions transport also hauls right up that travel lane. you can also contract a single car hauler and pickup from a few good places. they often haul one way . i used a single carrier for a haul to nyc

regardless of who hauls the car the preinspection is the most important thing to do with the driver. take pictures of the entire car underside if possibvle and tape the loading and watch for undercarriage damage. forward the pics to the receiver and have him compare the pics to the car. the receiver has no idea the condition of the car before loading and cant insect for damage he doesnt know didnt exist

(btw i did this for 14 yrs . )

Last edited by 32krazy!; 04-01-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
HIX
Hansen and Atkins says they don't transport personal cars. Only work for dealerships.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
^ just one of many. theres most likely 50 or more transport co. that run the I75, I65 travel corridor

Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
MBH
MBH has a spectacular aura aboutMBH has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
enclosed is certainly an option due to weather but unless its a ferrari or a high dollar car its not neccessary. a ten yr old 50k car just doesnt qualify.
ohhh come on. necessary? It's not necessary for HIX to take his car to Markski, or to keep it in a garage either

This car was not 10 years old at the time, but it sure wasn't 50k either...

HIX, see what the price difference will be before you rule it out. Sometimes you can't put a price on piece of mind, but can justify the relative cost increase for it.

Attached Images   

Last edited by MBH; 04-01-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by MBH
ohhh come on. necessary? It's not necessary for HIX to take his car to Markski, or to keep it in a garage either
you can certainly ship the car any way you want but as an experienced car hauler with over 2 million miles driven i can tell you from ga to il at this time of yr its not needed. you can haul a honda in an enclosed carrier if you want. it doesnt mean its needed it simply means you have the money to do so. at the most the car should be on the hauler for no more than 2 days unless the carrier is picking up cars as he makes the trip.
as for keeping it in a garage there are many that dont and the long term effects will be readily apparent.
maybe you could give hix the name if the company that hauled your cobra
its a nice time of yr. why not drive up and fly home? ohare to harts field would prolly be 150$ one way

Last edited by 32krazy!; 04-01-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM
HIX
Yeah, I'm about to consider driving. I'm trying to keep unecessary miles off of the car (and 852 kind of makes me cringe) but at this point it might be worth it to drive. So far Intercity has said they don't come through this area, and the other carriers said no also.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM
MBH
MBH has a spectacular aura aboutMBH has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
you can certainly ship the car any way you want but as an experienced car hauler with over 2 million miles driven i can tell you from ga to il at this time of yr its not needed. you can haul a honda in an enclosed carrier if you want. it doesnt mean its needed it simply means you have the money to do so. at the most the car should be on the hauler for no more than 2 days unless the carrier is picking up cars as he makes the trip.
as for keeping it in a garage there are many that dont and the long term effects will be readily apparent.
maybe you could give hix the name if the company that hauled your cobra
its a nice time of yr. why not drive up and fly home? ohare to harts field would prolly be 150$ one way
Very true, I just didn't like the notion of "it's not valuable enough to ship in an enclosed trailer."

I did the enclosed trailer route because I was able to ship all of the factory parts with the car that way, which I wanted (for some stupid reason) at the time. It was actually a dealership transporter, was able to pull some strings and work out a schedule/price that we were both happy with, but I don't know if it would be something they'd do out of the blue, and if they did they'd probably want way more than it's worth lol

Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by MBH
Very true, I just didn't like the notion of "it's not valuable enough to ship in an enclosed trailer."

I did the enclosed trailer route because I was able to ship all of the factory parts with the car that way, which I wanted (for some stupid reason) at the time. It was actually a dealership transporter, was able to pull some strings and work out a schedule/price that we were both happy with, but I don't know if it would be something they'd do out of the blue, and if they did they'd probably want way more than it's worth lol
just so you know the zr1 corvette is shipped everyday on open carriers to every chevy dealer in the usa. cost in excess of 90,000$

Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Banned
hix give me a day or 2. my buddy that bought my amg had a guy out of scottsboro al pick it up at my house and deliver it to nyc. he has a pickup and a aluminum 1 car trailer. he does 1 way hauls and is semi retired and may be able to make the move for you. my buddy is looking for the info for me

Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
HIX
That sounds perfect. Send me his info if you can find it. Please.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on shipping a car?