996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercooler upgrade comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I don't claim to be an expert in fluid dynamics, but here's a thought. If the ducts have been removed, it may be causing some problems.

The upper and lower ducts serve as a conduit to promote the Venturi effect. The pressure outside the car directly in front of the side vent and the pressure of air behind the rear bumper serve to create a pressure differential in the long channel inside the fender (the narrow part of the upper ductwork.) This restrictive channel is should have lower pressure and higher velocity air used to cool the intercooler before the diameter expands once again through the lower duct and out the rear bumper.

This is from Christophorus (issue 300 specifically discussing wind tunnels and the 996.)

For your setup, at higher speeds, I have a feeling even nitrous cooling sprays won't help as there isn't enough flow because the Venturi channel/shape is gone.
Yes, that's what we have concluded as well. Just a cloud of nitrous on top of the intercooler has zero effect.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
BlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really niceBlackSwan is just really nice
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I use the 997.2 ICs on the track for hard 20 minute sessions in a K24 600hp car and they are excellent at quick thermal recovery. Using data acquisition for timing and speed along various points on the track, my car is running just as strong at the beginning and end of a 20 min session in 100+ degree temps. Additionally they are feather light at around 7lbs each from what I recall. For street use, drag strip and stop light bragging rights you might be better off with a lower restriction higher flow core but for track work the 997.2s are great.
Is there any more info on other Intercoolers being better for the short run/drag strip rather then the .2s?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSBear
A bit tough on USP, Chris has probably shared more data about his builds (which include the use of his coolers), than any other tuner.
JSBear, great point and fair enough, I should have better explained my words of caution. I too enjoy reading Chris and the USP crews' well documented builds and was surprised when I read the specs on the coolers. The specs are written exactly like every brand of knockoff cooler I've seen (AP, Blownsix, Godspeed, the other ebay units popping up like weeds lately), which caught my attention. Take a look at the AP cooler specs and compare, the wording and semi-broken English is all there, and though the specs are slightly different, they still make no sense. 89% (or 85 with AP) efficiency on a 996? under what conditions? No log produced from any cooler has come anywhere near that. 750cfm (or 620) per side? useless without the pressure drop used to achieve that flow (I could put 2000cfm through a set of coolers with a high pressure loss). Less than 1% pressure drop? meaningless.

My concern is that people throw fancy terms like pressure drop and efficiency around and assign great looking (& impossible) numbers to them and to the average customer that may not understand or has better things to do than worry about these things, it seems like the best thing since sliced bread and they end up with something that may be worse or no better performing than stock. Hopefully this isn't the case here. That's why I like to see data to back up the specs, something Markski offers openly on his website and something I've done for the .2s and ETS, hence my recommendation for the OP to treat option 3 with some caution.

Hope that clears it up!

Last edited by earl3; 04-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Thank you! I am not running fender well intakes and my filters are bolted directly to my turbos. The IATs didn't budge on the button unfortunately.
Now that is interesting, I would have expected an appreciable drop the instant the nitrous hit the cores -bbywu may be onto something with regards to the ducting.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
JSBear, great point and fair enough, I should have better explained my words of caution. I too enjoy reading Chris and the USP crews' well documented builds and was surprised when I read the specs on the coolers. The specs are written exactly like every brand of knockoff cooler I've seen (AP, Blownsix, Godspeed, the other ebay units popping up like weeds lately), which caught my attention. Take a look at the AP cooler specs and compare, the wording and semi-broken English is all there, and though the specs are slightly different, they still make no sense. 89% (or 85 with AP) efficiency on a 996? under what conditions? No log produced from any cooler has come anywhere near that. 750cfm (or 620) per side? useless without the pressure drop used to achieve that flow (I could put 2000cfm through a set of coolers with a high pressure loss). Less than 1% pressure drop? meaningless.

My concern is that people throw fancy terms like pressure drop and efficiency around and assign great looking (& impossible) numbers to them and to the average customer that may not understand or has better things to do than worry about these things, it seems like the best thing since sliced bread and they end up with something that may be worse or no better performing than stock. Hopefully this isn't the case here. That's why I like to see data to back up the specs, something Markski offers openly on his website and something I've done for the .2s and ETS, hence my recommendation for the OP to treat option 3 with some caution.

Hope that clears it up!
IMO the lack of real specs on ICs has been a long standing flaw in the market. Vendors (except marek) seem to be happy to keep it vague and impossible to compare- and more of a popularity contest.

A

Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Guys are referring to what's known as the Bernoulli Principle. This is a inversely proportional relationship between air speed and it's relative pressure. Basically faster= lower pressure, slower=higher pressure.

Blackhorse, I think, with what little I've read, that you have an airflow problem that's related to your ducting. It's possible you have stagnation or reversion going on inside your ducting. I think it's interesting that you don't see any change to your temps with your nitrous. Do you happen to have any pictures of your ic setup?

Oh, btw I'm running Markski's ic and I'm very happy with them.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
IMO the lack of real specs on ICs has been a long standing flaw in the market. Vendors (except marek) seem to be happy to keep it vague and impossible to compare- and more of a popularity contest.

A
AWE has a pretty good spec sheet and info on there intercoolers..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Now that is interesting, I would have expected an appreciable drop the instant the nitrous hit the cores -bbywu may be onto something with regards to the ducting.
This thread is really interesting - and yeah, it sounds like if someone eliminated either the upper and/or lower ducting in their setup, it might actually be doing more harm than good, especially at higher speeds.

Rep for you, bbywu, RnH, et al. - that's good (and useful) info to have.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
I have Markski's intercoolers and they work very well at keeping IATs low down here in South Texas where temps easily and routinely get into the 100-110 F range most of the year. Also, Markski's customer service was exceptional when I was installing his IC's by myself in my garage. Can't say enough good things about his willingness and enthusiasm in working with you when you have questions or problems that need to be resolved. Lastly, his intercoolers are visual works of art.

Good luck with your choice of IC.

Last edited by Valley996TT; 04-03-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I The intercooler ducting and a good seal at the intercooler to ducting junction is absolutely critical to creating a Venturi effect which effectively draws air over the intercoolers. The set ups that butcher or eliminate the IC ducting severely degrade the airflow over the ICs. No way to get around that, plain and simple.....
I agree... but running a blow thru or mafless set up with the really big ICs where the filter is above ICs require the upper duck to be eliminated... However, we do create a cavity with welded brackets to catch the air as much as possible....
with all that said, Im guessing majority of the HIGH HP cars including mine that ran 9s is done just like that... but it has to be done right...
and lastly, for the those running a MAF and your not grabbing air from the top of the ICs you have absolutely no reason to get rid of the upper duck...
This is our 4.5" direct replacement version.... hand made in house with one piece molded end tanks pressure tested to 35 psi with cnc machined flanges we make and test for leaks on bench with hoses... We also offer free duct trimming and even will put it in the bracket and send it ready to be installed..

Attached Images   

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
I fly jets for a living so I'm fairly familiar with fluid dynamics. The intercooler ducting and a good seal at the intercooler to ducting junction is absolutely critical to creating a Venturi effect which effectively draws air over the intercoolers. The set ups that butcher or eliminate the IC ducting severely degrade the airflow over the ICs. No way to get around that, plain and simple.....
Ouu ouu... What kind of jets if I may ask?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Ouu ouu... What kind of jets if I may ask?
heavy transport category

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-03-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
just curious as to no one mentioning the EVOMS IC. It is what i currently have on my car. Are they outdated, too pricey, knockoff, heavy... or something else I'm missing? I run them with W/M and have been happy so far, but I am also getting ready to throw on some A3076 next week... so any input is appreciated.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
just curious as to no one mentioning the EVOMS IC. It is what i currently have on my car. Are they outdated, too pricey, knockoff, heavy... or something else I'm missing? I run them with W/M and have been happy so far, but I am also getting ready to throw on some A3076 next week... so any input is appreciated.
your fine....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
your fine....
x2, given the meth, wouldn't change a thing. EVO are not "knock off", a bit pricey yes, but you've already crossed that bridge

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler upgrade comparison