996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Why not do the IC's and pipes first then see if you're still unsatisfied with where it spools.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sinKing
Why not do the IC's and pipes first then see if you're still unsatisfied with where it spools.
I'm guessing I'll pick up 200 rpm from those two mods, not the 600-800 I am after.

They are necessary, anyway. They'll get done regardless.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
If you have to spend the money...K16 billets. You will STILL need IC's and piping though, so keep those on the list. You can potentially make the same power as 18g's with the spool you desire...good luck on your agonizing decision...

Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
...good luck on your agonizing decision...

Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I couldn't make that decision either...so I sold the car!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Sometimes I cant even decide what to order for lunch let alone turbo set-ups in some cases. It can be confusing! Too many options and opinions to go with.

I have to say I sell tons of K16-Billets and people on this forum love them. Recently did a few with Mark's tuning/coolers and the guys are over the moon. Doing HIX car now. After reading all your thoughts, that is the best match for little $$ after selling the K24's. Minimum 500rpm + gain with the supporting mods.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
You need big ICs, intake piping and A3071s... period...
+1000.... I went with above plus water/meth mix, 2nd pump, 72lb inj, 5 bar and never looked back it hits so hard on full throttle you just hang on , stay in the right gear and keep rpm's @ 32 -3500.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
If I were looking to pick up spool I'd go with the billet k16s. You said you don't really care about more power. The K16s will give you roughly the same power as the 18g, more or less, but spool quicker, which is what you're after. I don't think you'd get a significant improvement in spool time going from your setup to a28s given everything being equal. My 2 cents.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Decisions , Decisions....
Do yourself a favor and talk to Markski or Protomotive on this next step you are looking for,,they have solid data on going from 18gs..
Believe me I have been torn about going to the next level myself but didnt want to get that much quicker spool, only more linear power on the top end..
Good Luck

Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
I can't say anything because I havn't got the car back, but I did take Sam's advice and bought K16 billet's, 997.2 IC's, 60lb injectors, and inlet pipes.

Mark is hopefully putting everything on this week or next. We're also doing Plugs, coilpacks, etc.

I've had just regular K24's for the past year and am really hoping for a nice kick in the pants with this set up.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
K16 BILLETS is your answer!

An option is to sell your K24/18g's ($1700-$2000) and that money should wash the cost of purchasing used K16's ($450ish) and getting the BILLET upgrade with 1BAR wastegates ($1800).

Driving my uncles X50 (straight K24, so smaller wheels and even quicker spool then a 18g upgrade), with modified stock exhaust (I know he can pick up some spool with a full exhaust upgrade) and 1BAR flash, compared to my K16Billets is night and day PERIOD! Under the curve power, spool, just driving it off the line lightly or merging into the freeway is so much more pleasant with the extra TQ / HP under the curve!

This is a video of both of us starting ar 2500rpm's in 3rd gear and how much quicker I spooled. By the time he spooled I was over 2+cars ahead before his boost came on line. Again my car is much faster so I am not talking the distance I put on him when we race, but how quickly I spool compared to him under this test. I have it on video if you want to see it to compare real life driving.

We did another pull from 1500rpm(didn't video it) and again even before I fully spooled, my pre-spool I was ahead by 1.5 cars and then another 2+ by the time I was fully spooled. Before the X50 got into his power band / boost I was already fully spooled about 4+ cars out.

Just driving around (not necessarily racing) is much more funs as you are pushed in the seat with boost down low (not even floored) and spirited driving where you do not have to ring your rpms out to have some spirited fun.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 04-09-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
K16 BILLETS is your answer!

An option is to sell your K24/18g's ($1700-$2000) and that money should wash the cost of purchasing used K16's ($450ish) and getting the BILLET upgrade with 1BAR wastegates ($1800).

Driving my uncles X50 (straight K24, so smaller wheels and even quicker spool then a 18g upgrade), with modified stock exhaust (I know he can pick up some spool with a full exhaust upgrade) and 1BAR flash, compared to my K16Billets is night and day PERIOD! Under the curve power, spool, just driving it off the line lightly or merging into the freeway is so much more pleasant with the extra TQ / HP under the curve!

This is a video of both of us starting ar 2500rpm's in 3rd gear and how much quicker I spooled. By the time I spooled I was over 2+cars ahead before his boost came on line. Again my car is much faster so I am not talking the distance I put on him when we race, but how quickly I spool compared to him under this test. I have it on video if you want to see it to compare real life driving.

Spool difference from 2500rpm 3rd gear k24 vs k16 billets - YouTube

We did another pull from 1500rpm(didn't video it) and again even before I fully spooled, my pre-spool I was ahead by 1.5 cars and then another 2+ by the time I was fully spooled. Before the X50 got into his power band / boost I was already fully spooled about 4+ cars out.

Just driving around (not necessarily racing) is much more funs as you are pushed in the seat with boost down low (not even floored) and spirited driving where you do not have to ring your rpms out to have some spirited fun.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

I Agree..
We actually ran a 5.86 60 to 130 on a K16 set up... thats a record from my gathering...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
The K16 billets are better then A28s?? I dont think they could be, yes bang for the buck..

Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
The K16 billets are better then A28s?? I dont think they could be, yes bang for the buck..
I never said that. But I do say that they spool up quick which is what the OP was interested in.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I didn't say that or imply that either.

He said he DIDN'T want more power, but more power under the curve and sooner spool. The K16 Billets would not sacrifice his power, give him more power under the curve, quicker spool time, cost him almost nothing over his K24/18g's....hence the recommendation for the k16 Billets.

Now if he had to spend money and lose power to pick up power under the curve and quicker spool....that would not make sense.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?