996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Boost pipe kit?
He means the hoses from turbo to intercoolers and intercoolers to y-pipe. The pressurized hoses.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
No Switzler awhile ago was making 602 RWHP (dynojet) on pump with not even close to all the bolt ons and one of Markski customer was pulling 5.87 60-130 with many bolt ons. EPL also told me that there is hardly any difference at all in total power between the 18g verses K16billets (especially on pump).
i dyno'd the same day and same place as markski's customer. i have oem k24 and he had at the time billet 16's on 110 race fuel. for me on a 93 oct 1 bar tune dyno'd 490 rwhp and 502 ft/lbs torque. he had 1.4 bar file and race fuel and dyno'd 550 rwhp and 602 ft/lbs. a diff of 60 rwhp and 98 ft/lbs from a heavily modded car and slightly modded k24 car

Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i dyno'd the same day and same place as markski's customer. i have oem k24 and he had at the time billet 16's on 110 race fuel. for me on a 93 oct 1 bar tune dyno'd 490 rwhp and 502 ft/lbs torque. he had 1.4 bar file and race fuel and dyno'd 550 rwhp and 602 ft/lbs. a diff of 60 rwhp and 98 ft/lbs from a heavily modded car and slightly modded k24 car
I thought you are pretty well modded yourself,or atleast the mods that do help at your level, for a K24 car?

Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
I thought you are pretty well modded yourself,or atleast the mods that do help at your level, for a K24 car?
when i bought the car it was advertised as a stage 2 + from gmg. and quoted as 650 hp. what i found out later on was they took a k16 car and upped it to a k24 x50 package added headers and 3" exhaust and a tune. charged the guy 24,000$. also a 2.5 sachs clutch and 75mm t/b was added. so at the time of the dyno it was a mildly modded k24 car vs a heavily modded k16 car. were gmg gets 650 hp ill never know, i wasnt even close

dont get me wrong his car was very fast. anytime i got the jump i was quickly reeled in by him. my point was the difference in power compared to the mods used. this is what lead me to adding parts for bigger turbos down the road to compete with him. its game over now that he has a fully built motor with alpha 28's on race fuel and 1.7 bar capability.
btw he was also close to 500 lbs lighter than me in regards to the roll racing

Last edited by 32krazy!; 04-12-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:55 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
when i bought the car it was advertised as a stage 2 + from gmg. and quoted as 650 hp. what i found out later on was they took a k16 car and upped it to a k24 x50 package added headers and 3" exhaust and a tune. charged the guy 24,000$. also a 2.5 sachs clutch and 75mm t/b was added. so at the time of the dyno it was a mildly modded k24 car vs a heavily modded k16 car. were gmg gets 650 hp ill never know, i wasnt even close

dont get me wrong his car was very fast. anytime i got the jump i was quickly reeled in by him. my point was the difference in power compared to the mods used. this is what lead me to adding parts for bigger turbos down the road to compete with him. its game over now that he has a fully built motor with alpha 28's on race fuel and 1.7 bar capability.
I thought you were going to put intercoolers and inlet pipes on??

Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned
I thought you were going to put intercoolers and inlet pipes on??
i did after the baseline dyno. 4.5" i/c, 72 lb injectors, epl tune, evoms intake piping, dual snorkel airbox with k&n filter, ams 1 bar wastegates have all been installed since the dyno. i had the y pipe also but couldnt get it to fit properly so i still have the oem y pipe with 2.25" silicone boost hoses all around

Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Originally Posted by dhahlen
Show me a K24/18g setup that spools at ~2600, full boost (1.2bar+) before 3k and I'll believe it. If this isn't possible because x,y,z reason, then I'd like to consider various other options.
I would say with 18g this is not going to happen. I never had smaller turbos but spooling at 2600 is just at what I would consider cruising rpms between 2.5 and 3K. How can you expect or even want to have the turbos create significant pressure at these speeds?

This is so low in rpms that I would say you are in the wrong gear and could simply shift down gain about 1000 rpms and be happy.

I can understand that you want this instant on effect, but such a car would be pretty nervous to drive. Would you really want this behavior?

Regards,
Andreas

Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT996
Hi,

I would say with 18g this is not going to happen. I never had smaller turbos but spooling at 2600 is just at what I would consider cruising rpms between 2.5 and 3K. How can you expect or even want to have the turbos create significant pressure at these speeds?

This is so low in rpms that I would say you are in the wrong gear and could simply shift down gain about 1000 rpms and be happy.

I can understand that you want this instant on effect, but such a car would be pretty nervous to drive. Would you really want this behavior?

Regards,
Andreas
You have to consider how much flow you're pushing through the exhaust. I am rarely WOT at 2.5-3k RPM, especially out of a turn. Even on the street, I am not smashing the gas from point to point, I'll roll on the throttle. If I am cruising, there isn't going to be enough exhaust flow to build positive pressure or at least not more than 0.1-0.2 bar. Also, considering I cruise at a higher RPM, I don't use 6th gear much, either. I only use 6th if I am going to be on the highway doing 75+ for a long period of time. Cruising in 5th for me is usually around 3-3200 RPM. For street purposes, I usually keep cruising rpm at 3k.

Yes, I am looking for that instant-on effect if I am sitting at 3000 RPM and decide to smash it. Spool and Respool are going to be significantly faster on a newer designed turbo and/or wheel. The alphas probably have some insane respool, picking boost back up very after shifts, the k24/18g isn't as great nor have I mastered keeping boost in between gears with a LWFW and all the fancy dance moves people do with their feet when driving on the track.

Unfortunately there isn't a VTG setup for the 996, as I can make more power with the spool characteristics I want on those turbos (stock 997tt) versus most setups on the 996. However, going to a 997 isn't in the playbook.. so here we are again.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=32krazy!;3819681]i did after the baseline dyno. 4.5" i/c, 72 lb injectors, epl tune, evoms intake piping, dual snorkel airbox with k&n filter, ams 1 bar wastegates have all been installed since the dyno. i had the y pipe also but couldnt get it to fit properly so i still have the oem y pipe with 2.25" silicone boost hoses all around[/QUOTE

Arent you interested in putting it back on Dyno to see what you gained with those mods?
You are ready now for some bigger turbos...
Hey maybe we can get a package deal on 2 sets of A3071's..LOL.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You have to consider how much flow you're pushing through the exhaust. I am rarely WOT at 2.5-3k RPM, especially out of a turn. Even on the street, I am not smashing the gas from point to point, I'll roll on the throttle. If I am cruising, there isn't going to be enough exhaust flow to build positive pressure or at least not more than 0.1-0.2 bar. Also, considering I cruise at a higher RPM, I don't use 6th gear much, either. I only use 6th if I am going to be on the highway doing 75+ for a long period of time. Cruising in 5th for me is usually around 3-3200 RPM. For street purposes, I usually keep cruising rpm at 3k.

Yes, I am looking for that instant-on effect if I am sitting at 3000 RPM and decide to smash it. Spool and Respool are going to be significantly faster on a newer designed turbo and/or wheel. The alphas probably have some insane respool, picking boost back up very after shifts, the k24/18g isn't as great nor have I mastered keeping boost in between gears with a LWFW and all the fancy dance moves people do with their feet when driving on the track.

Unfortunately there isn't a VTG setup for the 996, as I can make more power with the spool characteristics I want on those turbos (stock 997tt) versus most setups on the 996. However, going to a 997 isn't in the playbook.. so here we are again.

You need to find a Billet K16 car and go for a ride...that will answer all your questions. The only "downside" is that the Billet K16 needs a little more boost to get close to 18g power, but you don't care about that anyway...

Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
As I said, I am not looking for more power. I am arguably not going to break rods at the 470-500whp level.

Boost pressure test is not rocket science, unless there is some hidden secret, plug turbos, plug intake, pressurize, spray for leaks, etc, etc.

I am not looking to hear anything but facts. People that are running various setups and how their spool is. I don't care about the mile runs or straight lines, the goal is for canyons and DE courses, where boost at lower RPM is going to be beneficial accelerating out of a turn.... not making a sandwich while I wait for boost.

Also, I am not looking to throw money into a setup just because I can. Hence the thread, I am looking for input on various setups that have significantly quicker response versus the k24/18.

There are two big components that I am lacking right now - Intercoolers and Intake pipes. However, I feel that even after these are done I am going to be tossing pizzas while I wait for boost.

I appreciate your professional input, and you're right, I do need the supporting mods before I jump to another turbo. However, as mentioned above, I don't think it will be enough. Show me a K24/18g setup that spools at ~2600, full boost (1.2bar+) before 3k and I'll believe it. If this isn't possible because x,y,z reason, then I'd like to consider various other options.
I don't care about straight line stuff either. I track my car regularly and I am very happy with the K24 hybrid set up I have. My spool is very linear starting in the upper 2K range and I'm on full boost around 3.6-3.7K. I'm not sure I would even want full boost at a lower RPM. I do have a larger intake manifold coupled with turbo intake pipes, 997.2 intercoolers, and a 100cell cat exhaust. Marek is right about having all these supporting mods done first. If you are going to be doing DEs and heavily tracking your car, than this kind of set up where you are seeing most of your power slightly higher up in the power band is going to be much easier on the bottom end of your motor and go a long way towards longevity. If you feel like you're not seeing enough power coming out of turns than you are in the wrong gear my friend... I have yet to run across any of these cars lacking power in turns unless you are lugging the motor. Usually its the opposite as you must be very careful not to break the rear end loose with too much power. Look how fast a well driven GT3 is through the twisties when in the proper gear. I would spend my money on 997.2 ICs, intake pipes, a good boost leak check, and finally an LSD if you like to track your car. An LSD is one of the best performance mods you can do for these cars if you like to spend time on a road course or the canyons. New turbos would be last on my list.... Good luck..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-12-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I don't care about straight line stuff either. I track my car regularly and I am very happy with the K24 hybrid set up I have. My spool is very linear starting in the upper 2K range and I'm on full boost around 3.6-3.7K. I'm not sure I would even want full boost at a lower RPM. I do have a larger intake manifold coupled with turbo intake pipes, 997.2 intercoolers, and a 100cell cat exhaust. Marek is right about having all these supporting mods done first. If you are going to be doing DEs and heavily tracking your car, than this kind of set up where you are seeing most of your power slightly higher up in the power band is going to be much easier on the bottom end of your motor and go a long way towards longevity. If you feel like you're not seeing enough power coming out of turns than you are in the wrong gear my friend... I have yet to run across any of these cars lacking power in turns unless you are lugging the motor. Usually its the opposite as you must be very careful not to break the rear end loose with too much power. Look how fast a well driven GT3 is through the twisties when in the proper gear. I would spend my money on 997.2 ICs, intake pipes, a good boost leak check, and finally an LSD if you like to track your car. An LSD is one of the best performance mods you can do for these cars if you like to spend time on a road course or the canyons. New turbos would be last on my list.... Good luck..
Thanks, perhaps the track example was a bad idea, I was trying to convey a point, but yes... bad example. When I am in the infield, the RPM's are usually above 4.5k, almost the whole damn session, the car stays pretty much mid-top end the whole time.

The kick in the pants at low RPM is more of a concern for city/street driving, which, in my opinion, makes the car more enjoyable to drive.

LSD would be on the list following a proper RWD conversion, but that entails doing the uprights and all that other fun stuff, which is $$$$$$$$$$.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !

UMW has a K16/997TT hybrid zero clearance turbo that has spool comparable to VTG and makes very good top end power from what I understand. I remember talking to Kevin a while back and he did say that running a high power quick spooling set up will definitely be harder on the motor especially if you are going ***** to the wall on the track for 20min at a time.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
UMW has a K16/997TT hybrid zero clearance turbo that has spool comparable to VTG and makes very good top end power from what I understand. I remember talking to Kevin a while back and he did say that running a high power quick spooling set up will definitely be harder on the motor especially if you are going ***** to the wall on the track for 20min at a time.
Yep..early spool = early TQ = bent rods...obviously not a HUGE concern at the 500whp level or so...but...

Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Smile

Thanks, perhaps the track example was a bad idea, I was trying to convey a point, but yes... bad example. When I am in the infield, the RPM's are usually above 4.5k, almost the whole damn session, the car stays pretty much mid-top end the whole time.

The kick in the pants at low RPM is more of a concern for city/street driving, which, in my opinion, makes the car more enjoyable to drive.

LSD would be on the list following a proper RWD conversion, but that entails doing the uprights and all that other fun stuff, which is $$$$$$$$$$.
The whole upright thing is a myth. Don't buy it. You can make the 996tt very competitive with the stock uprights if you have a good suspension set up. RWD, LSD, 600/800 springs, quality monotube shocks like JRZ, monoball uppers, drop links, adjustable rear sway, and a good alignment are all you need for a 996tt that will run with just about anything out there....even if your turbos spool a little higher in the rev range...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?