996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?

The 996 has a very civilized feel, in fact, I don't feel much acceleration in the drivers seat like I have with other cars. With that in mind, I am considering switching up the turbo setup for something with more response.

My car is a weekend toy, street driven with the occasional track/DE events. I avoid them in the long AZ summers (May-September), it sees its track time in the cooler months, below 85 degrees. \

Anyway, the K24/18 I have put down a reasonable amount of power, close to 600ftlbs. The car is fun, but I'd really like another 700rpm+ in response from the turbos.

There are a couple of mods that I haven't done that are on the list later this year:

-Intercoolers
-Inlet Pipes

I imagine I'll pick up some power and maybe a couple hundred RPM in spool, but not sure if it will be enough.

As Prodigymb would say, maybe i'm driving it in the wrong gear. lol.

I've considered moving to a different turbo, a K16/16g, a K16/24 hybrid, a GT28 hybrid or a true GT28 setup with external wastegates. I've also considered a Borg Warner EFR setup, when and if those turbos become easier to get my hands on.

I am not really after more torque, but some additional hp and spool would be nice.

Has anyone gone to the K24/18 and moved to a more responsive turbo with similar power characteristics? I'd like more response, but I don't necessarily want to sacrifice 100ftlbs to get it.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
What cell count do you have on your cats, if have cats.. When I went from 200 to 100 it help to come on sooner.
Also intercoolers helped..
Regardless, you will need those items to get full use of 28s or 3071s.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
100 cell cats

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Ahhhhh, I thought I was the only one :)

Been thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by dhahlen
The 996 has a very civilized feel, in fact, I don't feel much acceleration in the drivers seat like I have with other cars. With that in mind, I am considering switching up the turbo setup for something with more response.

My car is a weekend toy, street driven with the occasional track/DE events. I avoid them in the long AZ summers (May-September), it sees its track time in the cooler months, below 85 degrees. \

Anyway, the K24/18 I have put down a reasonable amount of power, close to 600ftlbs. The car is fun, but I'd really like another 700rpm+ in response from the turbos.

There are a couple of mods that I haven't done that are on the list later this year:

-Intercoolers
-Inlet Pipes

I imagine I'll pick up some power and maybe a couple hundred RPM in spool, but not sure if it will be enough.

As Prodigymb would say, maybe i'm driving it in the wrong gear. lol.

I've considered moving to a different turbo, a K16/16g, a K16/24 hybrid, a GT28 hybrid or a true GT28 setup with external wastegates. I've also considered a Borg Warner EFR setup, when and if those turbos become easier to get my hands on.

I am not really after more torque, but some additional hp and spool would be nice.

Has anyone gone to the K24/18 and moved to a more responsive turbo with similar power characteristics? I'd like more response, but I don't necessarily want to sacrifice 100ftlbs to get it.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You will really benefit from the intercoolers and inlets big time! I would try that and see how she feels. Also speak to your tuner. Then you can go to the A28's if you still need more of that punchy power without giving up too much. Many opinions i'm sure though. The 91 and warm climate really hurt you, Same here in the valley.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I mix 5 gallons of 100 octane per tank, which is usually 12-14g fill. When I track the car, it gets a full tank of 100 octane.

Intercoolers should be a big help for the summer, IC's are my next performance upgrade.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
You need big ICs, intake piping and A3071s... period...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
You need big ICs, intake piping and A3071s... period...
I would assume the 3071's are significantly laggier than the A28's, I don't need more power, either... but as with any modded car, more power is inevitible.... I just don't need more power *right now*.

I've been meaning to get a ride/drive in an A28 and A30 car, but I need to find some people with them locally.

Big IC's cost big money, I can't argue with the price point on the 997.2 setup.

Switching to a GT28 setup is going to require roughly....

Turbos - $5k
Fuel Injectors - $600
Intercoolers - $1000-2500
Inlet Pipes - $600-1000
Reflash - $1500-2500

I am looking at to 8.5-11k, give or take a bit.I can recoupe a couple grand from the k24/18's, 5 bar, etc.

I think I'd be happier with the A28 vs A30 spool-wise.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
But a28s and k24/18gs are very close to each other... thats the wrong thing to do...
if you want less lag out on K16 billets , injectors, a meth kit and run 1.4 bar...
Im not sure you know what you want... A28s are not bigger on the hotside... 3071s are...
Put in the piping... good ICs and your lag will decrease... take the ,money you saved and take you wife on a vacation and thank me later... $20 starbucks card will suffice...
trust me I know... been there done that way too many times...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Won't touch a 2nd pump, that's not an option. I don't plan on going over 1.3 bar on anything except 100 octane unleaded.

Piping and Intercoolers are on the must-do list.

Also, the old thread here... look at the response versus k24/18g. This is what I am after, quicker spool....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-results.html

Looks like a 600rpm pickup, which is 8-10% increase in spool, which is quite significant.

I see boost hit hard at 3400rpm now, I'd like to see that at 2800.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Somone just send me 3-4 different turbo setups and reflashes and I'll test them all myself

Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Somone just send me 3-4 different turbo setups and reflashes and I'll test them all myself
I'll probably never actually upgrade my turbos because I'll never be able to decide. It's hard to make a call without trying out all the options.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Not a fair comparison and tony even said it as a dosclaimer. Two different cars with different bolt ons.
My point is : if ur after spool them k16billets are even better.
And u save alot of money.
Btw my client just ran a 5.46 60 to 130 on a28s as 5..86 on k16billets. So I'm not disputing not again a28s.
But I doubt u will rationalize $5k for the quicker spool when u could have done it a cheaper way.
Looking at dyno sheets is like looking at sport illustrated swimsuit magazine. Lots of make up and photoshop.
I personally beat up a a28 with k24 billets.
I really think ur going the wrong way.
You make have boost leaks, stock ics an no piping. Sure ur car will feel like crap when on boost.
Just saying
Markski

Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm sure there are shops that have used setups lying around that customers swapped out when upgrade and didn't care for them.

From a tuning perspective, a tuner could build more baseline tunes for different turbo setups and pick up some cash for labor. From a customer perspective, they can invest a bit of money into trials to be satisfied with what they want.

However, businesses don't stay in business beacuse customers buy a solution and are forever happy. They stay in business because people don't know what they want and they spend stupid money to figure it out, LOL!

Sigh

Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Not a fair comparison and tony even said it as a dosclaimer. Two different cars with different bolt ons.
My point is : if ur after spool them k16billets are even better.
And u save alot of money.
Btw my client just ran a 5.46 60 to 130 on a28s as 5..86 on k16billets. So I'm not disputing not again a28s.
But I doubt u will rationalize $5k for the quicker spool when u could have done it a cheaper way.
Looking at dyno sheets is like looking at sport illustrated swimsuit magazine. Lots of make up and photoshop.
I personally beat up a a28 with k24 billets.
I really think ur going the wrong way.
You make have boost leaks, stock ics an no piping. Sure ur car will feel like crap when on boost.
Just saying
Markski
That's a fair assessment, K16 billets may be the way to go... that's what I am trying to figure out. Spool with minimal loss of power is what I am after, I'll eat 50-60ftlbs for 600+RPM in spool.

No boost leaks, I recently tested it again with my rig. However, stock IC's and Inlet pipes are hurting me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?