996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
This is correct, I'd like roughly the same power with quicker response. The K24/18g's are fun, but I want them to be more responsive down low. (below 3k RPM). THanks for the video comparison.

I am looking forward to updates on your setup!

Markski - it seems that if I go with A30's I will be in the same boat (repsonse-wise) as the k24/18g, picking up boost around 3300-3500rpm.... only with a boatload more power. You mentioned A28's weren't a good choice, but they seem to spool around 2600 RPM from various dyno's that I've run across. How are these, in your opinion, not beneficial?
Are you looking to break rods? because thats where it happens.. in low rpms... what's so fun about running a car if your spinning in 2nd.. 18g stuff comes on about right for the gearing... what you need is maybe an open exhaust, intake to turbos, a boost pressure test by someone that actually knows how its done, some ICs, maybe stiffen the Wgs a little to get them to come faster, etc...
heck , what do I know...
Yet your looking to do something with a turbo that you can do with other parts that you actually have not done yet... you put on a A28 and you face the same problem unless you do the other parts..
Im guessing you may just be looking to hear from us what you want to hear vs. what you should be hearing...
not being hard on you but I see you your misguided my dyno sheets...
If you have money to blow throw on A28s and compare.. then keep what like.. simple...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Are you looking to break rods? because thats where it happens.. in low rpms... what's so fun about running a car if your spinning in 2nd.. 18g stuff comes on about right for the gearing... what you need is maybe an open exhaust, intake to turbos, a boost pressure test by someone that actually knows how its done, some ICs, maybe stiffen the Wgs a little to get them to come faster, etc...
heck , what do I know...
Yet your looking to do something with a turbo that you can do with other parts that you actually have not done yet... you put on a A28 and you face the same problem unless you do the other parts..
Im guessing you may just be looking to hear from us what you want to hear vs. what you should be hearing...
If you have money to blow throw on A28s and compare.. then keep what like.. simple...
...AGREED..I believe you hit it on the head..

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Where is all the talk about K24/18g and Billet K16s making the same power coming from?

I've not researched in the past few weeks (and memory is a bit foggy), but distinctly remember the 24/18g being able to push 575whp (and some are seeing 600whp) on pump, whereas the Billet K16s seem to max around 530whp pump.

Yes, the early spool on the Billets looks awesome, but you are certainly sacrificing power up top to the 24/18g....

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
Where is all the talk about K24/18g and Billet K16s making the same power coming from?

I've not researched in the past few weeks (and memory is a bit foggy), but distinctly remember the 24/18g being able to push 575whp (and some are seeing 600whp) on pump, whereas the Billet K16s seem to max around 530whp pump.

Yes, the early spool on the Billets looks awesome, but you are certainly sacrificing power up top to the 24/18g....

No Switzler awhile ago was making 602 RWHP (dynojet) on pump with not even close to all the bolt ons and one of Markski customer was pulling 5.87 60-130 with many bolt ons. EPL also told me that there is hardly any difference at all in total power between the 18g verses K16billets (especially on pump).

Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
No Switzler awhile ago was making 602 RWHP (dynojet) on pump with not even close to all the bolt ons and one of Markski customer was pulling 5.87 60-130 with many bolt ons. EPL also told me that there is hardly any difference at all in total power between the 18g verses K16billets (especially on pump).
I didn't know about Switzer's tests, but Marek's client was running Meth or Race Fuel (one of the two) for that run..so not a pump fuel comparison.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I know Protomotive has made many K24/18g cars pushing over the 600 mark and near 700 with Meth..

Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I know Protomotive has made many K24/18g cars pushing over the 600 mark and near 700 with Meth..
Right! I was thinking of you when I wrote 600+ above as I knew you made 625whp.

The Billet K16s are quick spooling, but all signs pointed to them being less powerful up top. I've not seen a Billet K16 hit or break 600whp on pump fuel alone...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
I didn't know about Switzer's tests, but Marek's client was running Meth or Race Fuel (one of the two) for that run..so not a pump fuel comparison.
Switzer P700 package:

http://switzerperformanceinnovation..../?page_id=1114

I think the benifits of the 18g's come after pump fuel with more boost as the larger frame can flow more. I think you star seeing a larger hp difference when the larger 18g run more boost with race fuel, meth etc at 1.4+ BAR.

Just look at USP k24/18g set up on E85 146+traps!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Switzer P700 package:

http://switzerperformanceinnovation..../?page_id=1114

I think the benifits of the 18g's come after pump fuel with more boost as the larger frame can flow more. I think you star seeing a larger hp difference when the larger 18g run more boost with race fuel, meth etc at 1.4+ BAR.

Just look at USP k24/18g set up on E85 146+traps!!!!!!
Thanks for the links. Strange that Switzer posts BHP, but if you take an 18% driveline loss, that's 575whp with their Billet K16 kit.

What kind of RWHP did you make with your EPL Billet K16 kit?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the links. Strange that Switzer posts BHP, but if you take an 18% driveline loss, that's 575whp with their Billet K16 kit.

What kind of RWHP did you make with your EPL Billet K16 kit?

Did you take a look at their video with the car on the dyno putting down 604 RWHP?

Almost all tuners that that market kits, market in BHP not RWHP.

I have to properly strap my car to the dyno soon!

Last time I did It was right after a new flash to deal with a spike problem after we gutted the cats (they were broken) and the new flash was only giving me 1.1 on the dyno. The car felt a lot slower then with cars and my old tune being I would do a solid 1.3 and lightly touch 1.4. I put in the flash the day before went straight to the dyno and just by the way the car was performing on the street I knew I was in for a very low number. We strapped the car down sIh really one good fan on one of the intercooler and this little worthless fan on The other. 1st run burnt the straps and second run only saw 1.1 and it registered 515AWHP. The way the car sits now on the streets with my proper tune J believe I should be about 575 dyno jet AWHP.

When I get my proper tune up loaded (waiting for the weather to warm up), I am going to rent my own fans and bring it to the same dyno and I will post it up.

I am a fan of the stock stuff for what it can do as well as the stock based K24 with the 18g wheel and if I had E 85 at the pumps I might be running a K24/billet 18 from Markski instead of my 16Billets.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
heck , what do I know...
As I said, I am not looking for more power. I am arguably not going to break rods at the 470-500whp level.

Boost pressure test is not rocket science, unless there is some hidden secret, plug turbos, plug intake, pressurize, spray for leaks, etc, etc.

I am not looking to hear anything but facts. People that are running various setups and how their spool is. I don't care about the mile runs or straight lines, the goal is for canyons and DE courses, where boost at lower RPM is going to be beneficial accelerating out of a turn.... not making a sandwich while I wait for boost.

Also, I am not looking to throw money into a setup just because I can. Hence the thread, I am looking for input on various setups that have significantly quicker response versus the k24/18.

There are two big components that I am lacking right now - Intercoolers and Intake pipes. However, I feel that even after these are done I am going to be tossing pizzas while I wait for boost.

I appreciate your professional input, and you're right, I do need the supporting mods before I jump to another turbo. However, as mentioned above, I don't think it will be enough. Show me a K24/18g setup that spools at ~2600, full boost (1.2bar+) before 3k and I'll believe it. If this isn't possible because x,y,z reason, then I'd like to consider various other options.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Again hearing what you want from your turbo's, do K16Billets and it will answer ALL your needs you listed PERIOD! Also it won't cost you a dollar after selling your 18g's. I am reading more and more people with GT2's, people with K24's and even people with 18g's that are doing K16billets for the track FOR THE EXACT experience you are looking for.

BTW I do not have intercoolers or inlet pipes and everything you are looking for will be addressed with these K16Billets. Again that is driving a car with standard smaller (quicker spooling then 18g upgrade) stock K24's for boost response with a 1bar tune and modified stock exhaust as a comparison.

I might be looking for big Hp in the future and then I would have to sacrifice all these benifits, but there would be a big difference in power with the bigger set up when I do to bigger.

As I said, I am not looking for more power. I am arguably not going to break rods at the 470-500whp level.

Boost pressure test is not rocket science, unless there is some hidden secret, plug turbos, plug intake, pressurize, spray for leaks, etc, etc.

I am not looking to hear anything but facts. People that are running various setups and how their spool is. I don't care about the mile runs or straight lines, the goal is for canyons and DE courses, where boost at lower RPM is going to be beneficial accelerating out of a turn.... not making a sandwich while I wait for boost.

Also, I am not looking to throw money into a setup just because I can. Hence the thread, I am looking for input on various setups that have significantly quicker response versus the k24/18.

There are two big components that I am lacking right now - Intercoolers and Intake pipes. However, I feel that even after these are done I am going to be tossing pizzas while I wait for boost.

I appreciate your professional input, and you're right, I do need the supporting mods before I jump to another turbo. However, as mentioned above, I don't think it will be enough. Show me a K24/18g setup that spools at ~2600, full boost (1.2bar+) before 3k and I'll believe it. If this isn't possible because x,y,z reason, then I'd like to consider various other options.

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 04-12-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I

I believe you are right, you will never get 18s to do that. I know from my stages and dynoing that those 2 supporting mods will not give you what you are looking for.. Go with intercoolers over intake Pipes first at that level..
MAYBE if you ran the highest octane to crank your boost up, that might help some for what you are after..
Good Luck with your choice.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Even with intercoolers, intake pipes and possibly a boost pipe kit you will only move your power band +500 RPMs.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Green@USP;3819582]Even with intercoolers, intake pipes and possibly a boost pipe kit you will only move your power band +500 RPMs.[/QUOTE

Boost pipe kit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24/18g wanting more power under curve, A28's next logical choice?