996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PMS (when has it saved you?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 07:04 PM
ritchieswimwear is infamous around these parts
PSM (when has it saved you?)

Can some of you guys (and gals) relay some of your PSM stories. When it kicked in, what was the speed and terrain etc. etc.? How it saved you? I am so safety minded I have not activated it that often. What can it really do at high speeds in the rain? What happens when your on a cloverleaf going to fast? I need to find a skid pad in south florida and fool around on it. thanks in advance, Ritchie

Last edited by ritchieswimwear; 07-22-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:08 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
PMS has never saved me... PSM has a couple of times when driving spiritedly and then going through standing water (stupid effing sprinkler systems etc..).

Old 07-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Probably more often than you can imagine, especially the way I used to drive. Actually the TT is so hard to really get corked that I don't think I have ever even gotten close to losing it before except when I tried. I have tried to kick the tail out, drift it, and spin it before with out much success. I have driven at 100 + in rain storms and I can guarantee you 911s in rain at 100 + would eventually spin without PSM (done it before at lower speeds going completely straight even) and I never really notice it kicking in.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:17 PM
ritchieswimwear is infamous around these parts
high speeds in the rain

Can PSM handle high speed hydroplaning and wet cornering? I am not talking about if your driving like an animal, just high speeds in rain.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Nice Freaudian slip

Old 07-22-2005, 07:21 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: high speeds in the rain

Originally posted by ritchieswimwear
Can PSM handle high speed hydroplaning and wet cornering? I am not talking about if your driving like an animal, just high speeds in rain.
Yups it can. You know one place I really DO hate it is on the track when the car gets a little airborne. Holy **** does the car freak out... PSM kicks in and does all kindsa weird **** and then you get bad weight transfer and off the track you pretty much go.. How do I know?

Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Re: PMS (when has it saved you?)

Originally posted by ritchieswimwear
Can some of you guys (and gals) relay some of your PSM stories. When it kicked in, what was the speed and terrain etc. etc.? How it saved you? I am so safety minded I have not activated it that often. What can it really do at high speeds in the rain? What happens when your on a cloverleaf going to fast? I need to find a skid pad in south florida and fool around on it. thanks in advance, Ritchie
When I remember to turn it off!

Old 07-22-2005, 08:12 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
PMS probly saved me many times from having sex!

Old 07-22-2005, 09:25 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
PSM has come in handy many times:

1) a snowy bridge in winter when the camber of the road, sudden freezing snow and summer tires conspired to send me in the direction of the concrete median
2) on the track on my second day. I was going into a decreasing radius turn a little hot, got a little nervous, lifted (just a fraction), and felt the rear end start to slowly come around. I might have had the skills to correct it (slowly squeeze the gas and counter steer), but I'm glad I didn't tak the chance when I was on an unforgiving part of the track.
3) on gravelly-roads in the wet

I think PSM is an invaluable tool, and a great learning aid, as long as you're sensitive enough to the car to realize when it's telling you you're doing something wrong.

The guys with high-HP TTs, and modded suspension have more problems with PSM activating when they don't want it to, but when calibrated for the stock settingfs, it's never caused a problem, although it's spoiled my fun sometimes.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
I was driving my wife's C4S to Long Beach early this year to go to the old Dunkle Brothers swap meet, now relocated. I got off the 405 on a nice little curvy bit of road and hit the throttle, must have been oil down the center of the road because the car VIOLENTLY slewed around and was going to change poles in a snap; an old 911 would have done it the amount of time it takes to say it. But PSM cut in with all kinds of lights and etc. and put it all back together again. Thank you Stuttgart.

You can turn it off on the track as I sometimes do but on the street I wouldn't be so anxious to disable it.

As a famous racer once said; "Motor gently in the grease/mud, for there the skid demon lurks".