996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997 tranny mount vs Torque Solution inserts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
997 tranny mount vs Torque Solution inserts

Wanted peoples opinion on upgrading to a 997 tranny mount or the Torque Solution inserts. I have a LWFW with chatter and am going to be doing RSS motor mounts and am afraid that it might be unbearble for a strett car coming to noise vibration in the cabin.

I really want less movement from my powertrain, save my tranny from not going smoothly into gear when under heavy "G's" becase the gear is no longer in the same place, but was wondering if doing both (tranny and the engine mounts) would be to much vibration transmitted into the cabin for a street car.

Is the stock 997 mounts more forgiving then the following inserts from Torque Solutions?

http://www.torquesolution.com/Search...ission&x=0&y=0

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i can't speak on the trans mounts? but i just installed the wevo semi solid motor mounts.. and it is very noticeable. noise/vibration/handling. it delivers ALL road environment up your spine lol.. i like my car raw, so it's ok. but it's not for a full time street car, i would think. the solids would probably be too harsh. for me. trans mounts for me next.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Wanted peoples opinion on upgrading to a 997 tranny mount or the Torque Solution inserts. I have a LWFW with chatter and am going to be doing RSS motor mounts and am afraid that it might be unbearble for a strett car coming to noise vibration in the cabin.

I really want less movement from my powertrain, save my tranny from not going smoothly into gear when under heavy "G's" becase the gear is no longer in the same place, but was wondering if doing both (tranny and the engine mounts) would be to much vibration transmitted into the cabin for a street car.

Is the stock 997 mounts more forgiving then the following inserts from Torque Solutions?

http://www.torquesolution.com/Search...ission&x=0&y=0

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
The stock 997 mount is a lot more forgiving than the urethane bushing mounts. This was written by someone on Rennlist that had installed the Torque Solutions "softer" 75A durometer transmission inserts on a 997GT3:

"Got my 75's last week, thanks Eddie, and had them installed today. Be prepared for a whole lot of noise and vibration. Very noticeable. If you thought the rattle of the LW flywheel was bad before, wait till you stiffen up your mounts. It's amazing how much the OEM mounts dampen things and how much flex there is in the OEM as compared to the torque solutions inserts. I had to call my tech to make sure that that's where the racket was coming from. I'm anxious to see if there is a difference this weekend at Sebring. The car felt very direct and responsive just driving home from the shop, almost like the wheels were spinning ever so slightly under harder acceleration, as if the power is being put down more directly... Can taking up the "slack" in the transmission mounts have that effect, or am I imagining things? Can't wait to see how it feels at the track."

Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Guys thank you for your valuable information.

I was wondering if there is a noticeable performance difference between the stock 996 tranny mount verses the stock 997 that is supposed to be an upgrade for our 996's?

So far from the input I am going to do the engine mounts from RSS(even though I am reluctant because there is enough going on with a LWFW and a 3" catless exhaust) to help save my tranny and have a better feel shifting and handling.

I will see how the RSS motor mounts pans out first, but if the experience is that the 997 stock mounts are worth it performance wise and won't add a ton more of vibration that the RSS mount already did, I will go ahead with them.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW I didn't notice any difference when I changed out the 996 mount with the upgraded 997 mount.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Guys thank you for your valuable information.

I was wondering if there is a noticeable performance difference between the stock 996 tranny mount verses the stock 997 that is supposed to be an upgrade for our 996's?

So far from the input I am going to do the engine mounts from RSS(even though I am reluctant because there is enough going on with a LWFW and a 3" catless exhaust) to help save my tranny and have a better feel shifting and handling.

I will see how the RSS motor mounts pans out first, but if the experience is that the 997 stock mounts are worth it performance wise and won't add a ton more of vibration that the RSS mount already did, I will go ahead with them.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
I have the Porsche OEM 993RS engine mounts on my car along with the 997 tranny mount. The engine mounts are excellent as they only transmit a little more vibration at idle otherwise they are great. The 997 mounts are a touch stiffer compared to the 996 version but hard to tell a difference.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i use the torque solutions motor mounts and did the window weld soultion for the trans mount. everything is 75 durometer and about all i noticed was a high pitched hum in the trans tunnel and shifter if i rest my hand on it.

i tried to get the t/s trans mount from awe and they didnt have it so the 20$ fix was done and im glad!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i use the torque solutions motor mounts and did the window weld soultion for the trans mount. everything is 75 durometer and about all i noticed was a high pitched hum in the trans tunnel and shifter if i rest my hand on it.

i tried to get the t/s trans mount from awe and they didnt have it so the 20$ fix was done and im glad!
Did you buy the $150 kit and push out the stock bushings or did you buy the whole set that came with the carrier?

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I have the Porsche OEM 993RS engine mounts on my car along with the 997 tranny mount. The engine mounts are excellent as they only transmit a little more vibration at idle otherwise they are great. The 997 mounts are a touch stiffer compared to the 996 version but hard to tell a difference.
Do you need the 997 carrier to fit the 993RS mounts?

edit: sorry, i thought I read 993RS transmission mounts... I needed glasses.

Last edited by dhahlen; 04-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Did you buy the $150 kit and push out the stock bushings or did you buy the whole set that came with the carrier?
not sure i understand the question. for the trans mount i removed it , cleaned it and using a tube of window weld from home depot filled the openings that the oem mount has and filled all the cracks in the rubber bushing effectively making a poly mount instead of a rubber mount. 75 durometer rating and took about 2 hrs total. let dry for 72 hrs and reinstalled. total cost was about 20$ for the tube of window weld.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
The 997 mounts are a touch stiffer compared to the 996 version but hard to tell a difference.
Just to clarify a bit, the 997TT mount has now superceded all 996 mounts, both Tippy and 6 spd including GT2. The old 996 mount has been NLA for quite a while apparently. Having JUST done this swap/repair last month, the 997 mount has significantly more rubber in the bushing area, fewer voids, than the 996 mount had. I have no idea if the rubber is firmer than previous 996, I suspect not, there's just a lot more of it, and it was a noticeable improvement for me. And it was certainly an improvement when the old one finally broke to the point of allowing the nose of the tranny clunk up and down under acceleration. I also suspect the OP would regret going to either of the urethane versions on a street car. ALL that drivetrain noise will be transmitted directly to the body shell, since that's what the trans mount attaches to. My .02c

Cheers
Mikey

Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I see. Well I see torque solutions sells their mounts for $150, but I assume you have to press out the stock mounts.

They also sell a $400 kit which has the mounts already installed in a carrier for a quick swap.

I suppose if you have a press or access to a press, then the $150 price is the way to go.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned
I see. Well I see torque solutions sells their mounts for $150, but I assume you have to press out the stock mounts.

They also sell a $400 kit which has the mounts already installed in a carrier for a quick swap.

I suppose if you have a press or access to a press, then the $150 price is the way to go.
im not sure why you want to press out the oem rubber bushing. the window weld goes in all around it sorrounding it with urethane. so easy to do and only 20$. if it doesnt meet your preference you can always spend more later.

mine were broken but still intact in the housing. i just taped up one side and pushed the window weld in. with soapy fingers you work the materialinto any voids, smooth it out and let set. after a couple days trim any excess off with a razor blade and your done

Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I did the window weld mod on my stock 996 mount and got the RSS motor mounts. I notice a tiny bit more vibration at idle and slow second gear cruising. But neither is intrusive and doesn't bother me at all. Just did a 5 hour trip (each way) to CT and it was no different than the stock mounts.

I've heard the torque solutions trans and motor mounts are very stiff and transfer a decent amount of vibration. The window weld is something like 60 or 65 durometer so it transfers significantly less vibration.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM

You don't need a press. Take your old 996 mount, cut through the rubber and remove the center portion thus leaving the metal outer band of the bushing. Take a metal saw and carefully cut through the metal band. The metal ring will than slide out without too much effort.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
I have the torque solutions motor mounts and window welded transmission mount now. I just recently bought the blue track density trans mount insert. i will report back once installed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 tranny mount vs Torque Solution inserts