996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Results switching from a stock Y-pipe to a 3" custom one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
HBK
Banned
HBK is infamous around these partsHBK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by layinback
Having a custom Y pipe built now. I had an aftermarket 3 inch job

but it never fit! In between boost leaks it was awesome

I had Markski take it off because it took an extra 2 hours to do

anything in the engine bay and I was tired of hearing Markski

cursing out a Y pipe lol.

I can attest to the difference it makes. I'm not one bit surprised

at the power under the curve and the massive torque gain.
Lol yup. It is absolute hell to get in and out of the car. I have a wiggins clamp for where the pipe meets the throttle body. It makes it some what easier.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,What level of mods do you have...Thanks
Hey John!

alpha 28s, Markski: ICs, 3 inch catless x design exhaust, K&N, coil packs,

2nd fuel pump, 60 lb inj., headers etc...

H & R coilovers, multi link CA's, sport struts, short shift / linkage, Recaros

340 lb's off stock. Recorded a 5.46 60-130.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by layinback
Hey John!

alpha 28s, Markski: ICs, 3 inch catless x design exhaust, K&N, coil packs,

2nd fuel pump, 60 lb inj., headers etc...

H & R coilovers, multi link CA's, sport struts, short shift / linkage, Recaros

340 lb's off stock. Recorded a 5.46 60-130.
you forgot fully built motor!! rods and such! the animal!!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM
HBK
Banned
Originally Posted by earl3
Did you happen to log boost?
It was making a hair more boost I think because it was a tad cooler that day. Anyhow, even where it was making less boost than before it was making more power.

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Great work, Binh!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
you forgot fully built motor!! rods and such! the animal!!
Well Steve I didn't wanna brag.

After I saw evoms new 60-130, I didn't feel so fast.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

I am trying to read the graphs correctly, but could need some help:

Torque and Power bands are not crossing where they should and the torque curve ends a lot earlier than the power curve, which should not happen in a single run.

I would say that both results from a miscalibrated dyno or wrong setup, but maybe you guys where doing something in purpose to the dyno?

I would be glad to hear what the reasons for these symptoms are.

Andreas

Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM
HBK
Banned
Originally Posted by GT996
Hi,

I am trying to read the graphs correctly, but could need some help:

Torque and Power bands are not crossing where they should and the torque curve ends a lot earlier than the power curve, which should not happen in a single run.

I would say that both results from a miscalibrated dyno or wrong setup, but maybe you guys where doing something in purpose to the dyno?

I would be glad to hear what the reasons for these symptoms are.

Andreas
You are reading the graph wrong. Blue is hp and tq from one run. Red is hp and tq from another run. Hp and tq cross at about 5250 rpm on both sets. I dont understand what you may be interpreting. Where do you see hp and tq cross?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, I see what you mean. The graph says blue is torque and red is power. I was interpreting it that way and that looks unusual.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:08 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting!

I am going to putting on a custom 2.5" y-pipe markski made for me shortly...i am having diverter valves build on each side because I am running alpha 3076s.

Just curious, but why did you go with 3" if you intercooler outlets are 2.5"? Because the plenum and tb are 2.9"?

Thanks

Ben

Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
Thanks for posting!

I am going to putting on a custom 2.5" y-pipe markski made for me shortly...i am having diverter valves build on each side because I am running alpha 3076s.

Just curious, but why did you go with 3" if you intercooler outlets are 2.5"? Because the plenum and tb are 2.9"?

Thanks

Ben
Also the two, 2.5'', legs of the Y pipe merge will flow more then enough to feed a 2.9 TB opening.
Velocity has its advantage over Volume,,as long as the piping has an adequate diameter to flow enough to begin with and velocity usually gives a better all around flow curve..
Just my opinion here from what I have tested.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
HBK
Banned
Thanks for posting!

Thanks

Ben
I went with 3" because I had a 3" wiggins clamp that I wanted to tie into my tb and plenum that are both 74mm. No other reason really. Now that I am seeing no loss in spool or tq it is all worth it to me. The car feels night and day difference on the street.

Originally Posted by johnspeed
Also the two, 2.5'', legs of the Y pipe merge will flow more then enough to feed a 2.9 TB opening.
Velocity has its advantage over Volume,,as long as the piping has an adequate diameter to flow enough to begin with and velocity usually gives a better all around flow curve..
Just my opinion here from what I have tested.
How do you know it will "flow more than enough"? Any test data? Vs a 3"? I will never know if my 3" performs less than a 2.5" but I see zero downside compared to the stocker so I will stick with it.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HBK
I went with 3" because I had a 3" wiggins clamp that I wanted to tie into my tb and plenum that are both 74mm. No other reason really. Now that I am seeing no loss in spool or tq it is all worth it to me. The car feels night and day difference on the street.

How do you know it will "flow more than enough"? Any test data? Vs a 3"? I will never know if my 3" performs less than a 2.5" but I see zero downside compared to the stocker so I will stick with it.
YES their is a mathematical formula just like the one used to build collectors for exhaust pipes, that's what the y - pipe is essentially.
I KNOW from building ones for my race Harley that two 2.5'' pipes going into a 3 '' merge is too small to flow both of those.. When I get home I will look up my math books for formula..
Also many have made big HP on 2.5'' and I believe Speedtech tested both..
I have my stock Y - pipe modified to match my 74mm TB by Protomotive and EVO does it also and runs them.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HBK
data ?? nobody got data to share, but everybody likes to ridicule others data and try to poke holes in it.

i'd like to swap my y pipe with yours on the dyno and see what happens since mine is two 2.5" into a single 3". given that we both use the same wiggins and intercoolers it should be pretty easy. only thing is my center runner on the Y is a bit shorter because the 997tt intake puts the TB out further...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting!

Thanks

Ben
The 2.5" legs are standard on all blow thru systems. My 996 made 1000whp on same Y pipe... Proto high end HP cars are all done the same way... However, the center piece of the Y ( long straight) is 3.5" just like on Ben's. That's how we always make them.
just sharing...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Results switching from a stock Y-pipe to a 3" custom one