996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modded '01 price check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aktavate
Hey all, I'm in the market for a 996tt and have been watching the prices for a few months now. A silver '01 6sp near me with 36k miles came up the other day and I normally see similar cars going for high 30 to low 40k. Seller is asking $49k with the following installed:

24/18g
Sachs clutch/flywheel
Ruf exhaust
Stoptechs
PS9
HREs

I don't want to be a dick and lowball the hell out of this guy so what do you guys think is a fair value for this car (assuming good PPI)? Edmunds says 38k stock, $11k added value from mods seems like a bit much to me.
My 03 was virtually identically modded, with 60k on it. I sold for $44k 2 years ago. This car is worth $44K-$46k, IF it's a clean 39k miles.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Already modded ones are definitely worth paying more for IMO. My car feels totally different from when I first bought it. I probably could have saved a good amount of money had I bought one already modded. I have drove and ridden in a few different 996 turbos and every one feels different because they respond very well to mods. Personally I think this car is probably low to mid 40s. Also, consider that there are really two kinds of modifications, performance modifications and visual modifications. Performance mods are more likely to add value, but visual mods generally don't.

For example, to me I rarely am willing to pay more for a car with wheels. There is such a wide range of styles that this is a very personal choice and everyone's taste is different. Plus there are a lot of bad wheels out there. Just because it has 19" wheel upgrade, does not mean they are good wheels or good looking.

On the other hand, those PSS9 and turbos are prevalent and known to improve the driving experience

Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
What about for people who built their engines on top of all the supporting mods?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
I'm curious what the general opinion is about mods for reliability - for example, GT2 slave and pinned/welded coolant lines. IMO these things MUST be done to every 996TT eventually, and they sure aren't cheap, so I'm right to ask more for my car because it has these things done. Am I crazy?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
Thumbs up value

Originally Posted by Ms4cd
What about for people who built their engines on top of all the supporting mods?
Those are the ones u want to buy especially when done right thats a good foundation for mods galore

Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
A good rule of thumb for desirable modifications that are done well is 50% of retail. This is basically what it would cost you to buy these mods used and install them yourself. The cost of Labor doesn't count. You can also sale the mods for 50 of retail you choose not to use them (of course getting the stock parts with the sale are important).

It appears that the car has approximately $30,000 worth of mods.

Turbos, wastegates, tune, diverter valves, etc. = $5,000
Wheels = $6,000
PSS9 = $3,000
Brakes = $7,000 (assuming front and rear)
Ruff exhaust = $7,000
Clutch = $2,000

I would add $15,000 (50% of the $30,000) to the NADA value of around $33,000, so $48,000 seems like a fair price. Of course it's high if your not looking for a car with these upgrades, but a great buy if you plan on a similar build.

Good luck,
Steve

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
If you have even the slightest thought of modding your Porsche take my advice and save yourself A LOT of money and buy a car that already has the mods or some of them that you're interested in. The reality is you're going to pay something for the performance mods if done correctly, i.e., quality name brand tune, high quality newish clutch, turbos, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wouldn't let the idea of a modded car scare you either. It's other thinking to believe only you are capable of being careful with all of that power. I believe the vast majority of the community is very mindful of the care and maintenance of their cars. Just steer clear of the very, very few that ride them like a rented Hertz looking for the nearest train tracks to jump and you'll be fine.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
litecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nicelitecast is just really nice
I just got mine 2001 with 13,500 miles modded by performance engineered systems (stage IV) for right around 40K. The car was immaculate.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
cars & coffee.rtfd.zip (1.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ms4cd
+1. This is a little different...for the modded car hunters...I may be back in the market in a year...and a built engine is a must. If I can't find one, for what I want to pay...I'll grab a 997 turbo...or a GTR...or a.....

Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 PM
sanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by litecast
I just got mine 2001 with 13,500 miles modded by performance engineered systems (stage IV) for right around 40K. The car was immaculate.
STOLE IT !!! Did you use a gun?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 PM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Dissenting opinion here.

If you are coming to 996TT for the first time it may not be a bad idea to start with a nearly stock car. Why? There's nothing inherently "right" about 500hp, or 550hp, or 600hp or 700hp. I dare say that for many of us, coming out of the Boxster S and older Carrera world, 450hp feels faster to us than 600 does to you guys who have been hanging out here for a few years. And in the end, "feel" is all that matters, unless you're tracking it.

So if you start with a 415 - 450 hp stock car, you get to feel what that feels like. Maybe you'll be happy -- plenty of people are. Maybe not. By the time you get to that point, you'll have read a lot and gotten a good idea of WHY you don't like the feel of the car. Is it too slow off the line? Is the power delivery not linear enough? Is it too quiet, is it too bouncy or does it roll too much in corners?

All these questions are more easily answered with experience. And there are ALWAYS compromises when choosing a "solution" to your problem. Stiffer suspensions are less comfortable, free-er flowing exhausts are noisier and dronier, seats with more supportive bolsters are harder to get in and out of and wear faster, bigger turbos have more lag, smaller turbos have less top-end power, more horsepower wears out cylinders faster, grippier tires are noisier and wear faster, and the list goes on ad infinitum.

So my point is this: if the PO "solved" with his mods problems that weren't going to be problems for you, then he most likely compromised items on the car in exchange for improving areas that you would have been content without changing. And yet you'll never know it, unless you find somebody else to hang out with who has an unmodded car, or at least one that's not modded in the area you don't need modding in.

What brought this home to me was this afternoon, talking with one of the exhaust guys on this board, he asked me if the car was flashed. I said I don't know, as the PO didn't do anything to it, but the guy he bought it from had done some mods. PO loves fast cars (E63, Jeep SRT8, etc.) but isn't a mod kinda guy, and didn't know much about any of it. So I realized my car, which is an X50 and seems brutally fast to me, might be chipped (to go with the headers and exhaust and H&R coilovers), or it might not. If not, I'm happy right now. And if it is, I have no idea if I would have been just as happy with the stock power, which may in fact be lower but might have more area under the torque curve.

Just another way of looking at it. Personally, I'd rather get to know what PORSCHE thought was a good way to build a 911 Turbo, then change piece by piece the areas I feel need improvement. Not inherit some other guy's ideas of that.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
MCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud of
I have a slightly modded 01 with only 25K miles, PM me for price.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by MCGT3
I have a slightly modded 01 with only 25K miles, PM me for price.

A flash and exhaust..making 1000whp?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks guys, appreciate all the responses. I've never expected to recoup my expenses on previous cars when selling (and so usually part out) but since the mods on this car are more or less what I would be going for anyway I have no problem giving the seller a bit extra for them. It seems my estimate was about in line with most of those replying as well, $45kish, so thanks for making me feel a little more reasonable. Hopefully I'll be a part of the club soon!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
About 8 months ago i purchased a 01 with great mods (K24/20's, and all the supporting Proto mods) with 44k miles for $49K.

Didn't feel like i over paid at all.

This is my third Turbo.