996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modded '01 price check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Modded '01 price check

Hey all, I'm in the market for a 996tt and have been watching the prices for a few months now. A silver '01 6sp near me with 36k miles came up the other day and I normally see similar cars going for high 30 to low 40k. Seller is asking $49k with the following installed:

24/18g
Sachs clutch/flywheel
Ruf exhaust
Stoptechs
PS9
HREs

I don't want to be a dick and lowball the hell out of this guy so what do you guys think is a fair value for this car (assuming good PPI)? Edmunds says 38k stock, $11k added value from mods seems like a bit much to me.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
The reality is generally, you want to buy back (lower than) of book. Book is NADA. This is the most widely accepted published prices available to John Q.

Know this too, mods are not generally an "add". Except if a particular buyer would be willing to pay more for a particular non stock item. Then he can decide what it is worth.

Call your bank and CU, ask them what they think the car is worth. Ask your Porsche dealer.

Actual dealer pricing is based on Manheim auction wholesale prices and market demand dictates retail pricing. NADA is the closest you will find. 5-10% below NADA is good pricing.

These are my opinions only. I have owned a motor vehicle dealership in the past. My brother has been in sales at a Porsche Dealer for years. I have owner Porsches since the early '80s.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Same here, I am also in the market for a 996tt.

Car price you listed above is way too high. From what I have seen, mods add very little in terms of resale value. $38k is not out of the question, maybe $40k at most.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nick49
The reality is generally, you want to buy back (lower than) of book. Book is NADA. This is the most widely accepted published prices available to John Q.

Know this too, mods are not generally an "add". Except if a particular buyer would be willing to pay more for a particular non stock item. Then he can decide what it is worth.

Call your bank and CU, ask them what they think the car is worth. Ask your Porsche dealer.

Actual dealer pricing is based on Manheim auction wholesale prices and market demand dictates retail pricing. NADA is the closest you will find. 5-10% below NADA is good pricing.

These are my opinions only. I have owned a motor vehicle dealership in the past. My brother has been in sales at a Porsche Dealer for years. I have owner Porsches since the early '80s.
NADA is retail pricing. If purchasing from a private party I wouldn't use that as a guide. With specialty cars I've found you really can't use any of them as a guide. I just try to get to know the market. I'll keep watch on Craigslist and Autotrader and eventually I have an idea of what something is going for.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
robertg is infamous around these parts
Latest Manheim auction results.

04/18/13 CHICAGO Regular $28,050 73,314 Avg GRAY 6G A
04/10/13 NJ Regular $34,000 47,423 Avg SILVER 6G
04/03/13 DALLAS Regular $29,800 63,983 Avg GREY 6G A
03/19/13 STATESVL Lease $27,000 86,931 Avg SILV 6G 6
03/19/13 RIVRSIDE Regular $31,000 91,081 Avg Gray 6G A
02/21/13 CARIB Lease $40,200 36,881 Above YELLOW 6GT

Old 04-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
OP, your seller is counting on the greater fool theory if he's asking that much.

I purchased an '04 TT Cabriolet, 25K miles, a ton of factory options including carbon fiber and leather, plus a $4,000 aftermarket exhaust for spittin' distance of your seller's asking price.

Granted, I got a sick deal... but if anything, know they're out there.

-V

Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Mods don't add money, but that is 10-15k worth of stuff you won't have to do. Nice upgrades to. Id pay 45 for that car. Low miles to.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM
sanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud of
If you're going to buy a stock car and leave it that way then don't pay for the mods. IF you are going to add all those mods and they're what you want, then maybe somewhere in the middle is far to both parties. You'd save a boatload of money on mods.... nuttin' wrong with that! Paying a little premium could actually save you big money in the long run.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Fastcarfreak is infamous around these parts
I think some people have an unrealistic expectation of what their car is worth. It's hard to put a bunch of money in mods into a car then sell it for the same as a stock car. Most need to realize they can charge a premium, but its not a huge premium (maybe a few grand)

Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
you shouldnt expect to get back every penny you put into a car in mods but if you have 20 grand worth of extras then you should expect to see a chunk of that money back, and a buyer shouldnt expect to get them for free

asking a dealer what they think a modded porsche is worth is waste of time, they generally think mods detract from the value, the seller definitely will not agree and you will just insult him

if you are planning on buying a porsche and modding it then this car might be a good fit for you for the right price (assuming the mods are ones that you would be planning on doing), if you just want a stock porsche and want to keep it stock then its probably not worth looking at modded porsches, the owners will want to re-coup some of the money they have put into it

Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
Proven mods that performs with documentation and a good test drive commands the price of the car. Most important is the situation of the seller if he is sellin because of issues and not tellin you the truth stay away, but if he is sellin because of family/personal issues and your mechanic confirms a clean bill of health then u might want to negotiate fairly as someone might ****** it up.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Just for comparison
My car is also an 01, dam near perfect condition and 39k miles.
Much more extensive/expensive upgrades in a very desirable color. All records since new. Picture documentation of the upgrades. All common tt issues addressed. The car would be sold with all of the stock parts. The suspension, wheels, turbos, exhaust, every nut and bolt, bagged and tagged.
If I decided to sell I would ask 47k. So at 49k that car could be overpriced.

Emotion, while not the smartest way to purchase can play a role as well. I have purchased cars, and paid more just because the car felt right. Sometimes you just know when it it the "one"

Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
At the end of the day, an object's value is worth what one is willing to pay.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Just for comparison
My car is also an 01, dam near perfect condition and 39k miles.
Much more extensive/expensive upgrades in a very desirable color. All records since new. Picture documentation of the upgrades. All common tt issues addressed. The car would be sold with all of the stock parts. The suspension, wheels, turbos, exhaust, every nut and bolt, bagged and tagged.
If I decided to sell I would ask 47k. So at 49k that car could be overpriced.

Emotion, while not the smartest way to purchase can play a role as well. I have purchased cars, and paid more just because the car felt right. Sometimes you just know when it it the "one"
Well stated!

Buy all means, if wanting to mod a car, buy it already done and save an awful lot of money. If $30K has been invested in parts and labor it certainly is not unreasonable to pay $10K to $20K more than a stocker. It's all about what you want and what you are looking for. Decide what mods you want and depreciate the cost from new depending on how old they are and useful life left.

Conventional published valuation sources don't take mods into account, and for one looking for a stock car, mods will detract. For the hot rodder, mods are a giant step in the right direction and should accounted for.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
49k for a modded 01 turbo is not that bad at all but i would say around 46k. Trust me most people mod there turbos. Mines fully modded and i wouldn't sell for anything under 55k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modded '01 price check