996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help with strange ticking or clicking sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2013 | 02:36 PM
|
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Hey brotha, that used to be my fathers car you just picked up. It did that the whole time he owned it which is 3+ years. The ticks never got louder, softer, shorter or longer. Always the same amount of ticks and never effected anything. It also irritated my father but thats the extent of it. Once he found out what shops wanted to do the work, we felt it was a complete waste of money. It is probably just a fuse or something of that nature, but it never transpired to anything else.
Hiya, yeah he told me about it the first time I called. Great car by the way, except for that Gawdawful B&B exhaust! That'll be gone by next week.

But a fuse? I don't think pushing up on the bottom of a gauge pod is going to make a fuse problem go away. And I don't think fuses have intermittent problems; seems like they blow or they don't.

Whatever it is is clearly a mechanical something that can be corrected by force. I took it by Hennessy today and asked my service writer (Matt Bailey, good guy, used to be a wrench) what he thought. Showed him all the details. He gave me a local speedo guy's name, said to run it by him and see if he couldn't fix it. I've talked to him and will be taking it there week after next when I get back in town. We'll see.

Old 04-26-2013 | 02:41 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Record a sound clip for us to listen to.

Old 04-27-2013 | 12:03 AM
dubyaTT is a glorious beacon of lightdubyaTT is a glorious beacon of lightdubyaTT is a glorious beacon of lightdubyaTT is a glorious beacon of lightdubyaTT is a glorious beacon of light
That may help.

What kind of battery is installed?

Old 04-27-2013 | 05:35 AM
|
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kwei
Record a sound clip for us to listen to.
Great idea! Never thought of that, not being part of the YouTube generation. Let me read up on how to post there and I'll be back.

Thanks

EDIT: Here ya go. Hope it works...

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 04-27-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2013 | 07:44 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
oh, you meant a TICKING! nice vid, and welcome to the youtube gen..so, it's electrical in nature, why not have a tech take it out, check it out.. and reinstall it after checking connections. if it still works, then it's got to be a connection the noise isn't "mechanical", is it? it's "electrical". no? how did two separate shops not figure it out? they have to remove it first i would guess... i couldn't live with that either ! i apologize for my earlier flippancy, but earlier you said it just "ticked"..

Old 04-27-2013 | 09:08 AM
|
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
...i couldn't live with that either ! i apologize for my earlier flippancy, but earlier you said it just "ticked"..
LOL You might want to reread my original post!

I'm going out of town for 10 days; after that I'll be taking it to a speedo guy. As to why the two shops couldn't fix it, they told the PO that they would have to take everything apart, and it would probably need a new instrument cluster for $3000, and he said screw it, as would I. But if the speedo guy can actually fix it, that's worth doing.

Old 04-27-2013 | 09:55 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
have to take everything apart, and it would probably need a new instrument cluster for $3000, and he said screw it, as would I. But if the speedo guy can actually fix it, that's worth doing.
place out here rebuilds them also. if you can stand having the car sit while you shipped it. be a lot less than 3k im sure.

me actually READ a post before talking s*ht? what,.. me worry? but in reality. it's probably a loose connection is all....

but that's a helluva ticking ( empathy )

Old 04-27-2013 | 10:28 AM
|
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
place out here rebuilds them also. if you can stand having the car sit while you shipped it. be a lot less than 3k im sure.

me actually READ a post before talking s*ht? what,.. me worry? but in reality. it's probably a loose connection is all....

but that's a helluva ticking ( empathy )
If you mean North Hollywood or Palo Alto Speedo, yeah, they are the Gods of that business. If I can't get it fixed locally I'll definitely be sending out there. But, the car's new right now, I'm excited, and there's no way anybody's getting it out of my hands for more than a day! I'm able to tune it out somewhat now.

Old 04-27-2013 | 03:00 PM
If you mean North Hollywood or Palo Alto Speedo, yeah, they are the Gods of that business. If I can't get it fixed locally I'll definitely be sending out there. But, the car's new right now, I'm excited, and there's no way anybody's getting it out of my hands for more than a day! I'm able to tune it out somewhat now.
yeah, cpl of them out here. i just saw a thread where someone mentioned another place locally that rebuilt them. but again, it's sounds like a loose electrical connection though that is a highly uneducated guess ..but yeah, i'd live w it for awhile too.. but i would draw the line at having two shops venture a guess, and do nothing about it lol. at least that wasn't while you had it. so again, we've come full circle, drive it in good health! and avoid avoid tick ets

Old 08-02-2020 | 09:24 AM
Np996 is infamous around these parts
Okay, I've got this posted up on Rennlist for the past couple days but nobody is really playing there. So I'll try you guys because you're undoubtedly smarter.

About 90% of the time when I insert the key and turn it to the ACC position the following happens: all lights come on in instrument panel, a fast audible ticking or clicking begins, perhaps 2-3 clicks per second. Sounds like it's coming from behind the right side of upper IP. It lasts exactly 10 seconds. The instant it ends the gauge needles (fuel, temp if the car's warm, ammeter), which had lain dormant against their pegs, spring to life and scuttle up to the proper position. Everything works properly from then on.

It also happens when you turn the key to off. Needles immediately go dead as they should, but ticking ensues for exactly 10 seconds. This happens about the same frequency of time as on startup.

If you don't wait the 10 seconds for the ticking to stop, but just go ahead and turn to IGNITION, the car fires normally, but the ticking continues for the 10 seconds, and none of the guages, including now the oil pressure guage and tach, work till the ticking stops. But all lights in the dash and the OBC display, clock, temp, etc work perfectly. Once the ticking stops there are no other indications of any trouble whatsoever.

One final data point: when the ticking incident DOESN'T happen, the gauges snap to attention immediately, just like they should, so the 10-second-ticking and the delayed tach/fuel/temp/OP/ammeter needles are definitely intertwined.

PO took car to dealer and to Motor Werks Racing and neither could solve without tearing into it. I confirmed with the dealer before buying that they had looked at it and PO hadn't wanted them taking dash apart. I suspect dealer's answer would be a quick Let's Put a new IP in for $3000. Since it's been doing it at least 4 years and doesn't seem to affect anything, I'm not interested in doing that.

So, just wondering if there's any good ideas out there of ways to run this down without pulling anything apart? I can sorta get a hand up under the dash if need be.
Hi, I have just come across this thread as I have the
exact same problem with my instrument cluster. Did you end up solving the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-04-2020 | 12:01 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
You might have a bad ignition switch. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Old 08-04-2020 | 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gunther
You might have a bad ignition switch. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Thanks for the advice Gunther, I will look into it.

Cheers,
Nick

Old 08-06-2020 | 09:06 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
My 03 has done the same thing every once in a while for the last 8 years. When it does happen I wait the 10 seconds, proceed as normal and then feel great for the rest of the day as I just saved myself $3,000! Seriously, never got worse or caused any other problems and I have put on 60k+ miles since it started.

Old 08-07-2020 | 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Twinturbofan
My 03 has done the same thing every once in a while for the last 8 years. When it does happen I wait the 10 seconds, proceed as normal and then feel great for the rest of the day as I just saved myself $3,000! Seriously, never got worse or caused any other problems and I have put on 60k+ miles since it started.
I agree it’s not an issue, it’s just annoying!

cheers,
Nick

Old 08-30-2020 | 11:05 AM
Jsilver is infamous around these parts
Greetings, been following this site and the others for a couple years, but this is my first post and I appreciate any help/guidance.

Just picked up an ‘04 x50 1 owner 30k mi to replace my c4s. Big fun. But def a little more quirky.

Reason for my post is that I have the exact same ticking noise upon both ignition on and off. Also the battery gauge does not work (at all) and the tach needle seems kind of sticky/notchy. Lastly, the car seems to have the “delayed start” problem where (pretty randomly, but may be more frequent when car warm) sometimes it won’t turn over and need to turn key off then try again and then starts fine. Battery (Porsche/moll) tests fine but not sure of age. Also has aftermarket radio with a microphone installed right on top of the steering column so not sure if the installer may have messed up a connection to the gauge cluster?

Have you guys with the ticking every solved the issue? And any other thoughts/advice?

My reading leads me to thinking bad connection at cluster, clutch switch, ignition switch, battery Y-cable, relay, or all/some/none of the above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with strange ticking or clicking sound