996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear End Swaying In Rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 AM
WiscoBandit is infamous around these parts
Rear End Swaying In Rain

Hey Guys,

I've searched the forums, but was unable to find anything related to my issue(s).

I have a 2001 TT. The rear end of my car sways all over in the rain. It's flat out scary! All the sudden it's not handling particularly great on dry pavement as well.

A few things to note:
  • I do need new rear tires. However, I replaced the tires last fall and they only lasted 600 miles! I'm not out doing burn outs or anything.
  • I did upgrade to 997 TT wheels and added spacers, which I think would change my camber. Could this have anything to do with it? It seems like it moved the camber so that I have more tread on the ground.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've ordered new tires, but it seems like it was swaying before the tires were bad. I don't want to put the new tires on it and have them only last 600 miles again. That will get expensive!

Another issue that I'm having, which is not related:

It seems like when I am taking off, it requires a lot of attention not to have the car jerk back and forth. It seems like I have to release the clutch very slowly. If I release it normally, the car will jerk back and forth, like it would if I were to release it too fast and not enough gas. Could this be motor mounts?

Thanks,

Michael

Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of4080 has much to be proud of
Sounds like a combo of improper toe and needing new tires. Your camber will not cause the issue you describe. When was the last time the car was aligned? If the toe is not properly set then the car will not track straight and just chew up tires.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
M996TT is infamous around these partsM996TT is infamous around these parts
+1, I would suggest doing the alignment, get the print out of before and after and share with us. I have the same 997 wheels setup too and am happy.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
akimoto168 is infamous around these parts
600 miles on a set of new tires? I'd say even at 6k, that's too little. Where are they wearing out?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
is the wear even? if not get a good alignment

600mi life is way too short. don't drive on your new tires until you sort this out. a loose rear end is very dangerous. it will treamline like crazy too. not safe.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Rich L is infamous around these partsRich L is infamous around these parts
600 miles on a set of tires is an order of magnitude less wear than you should get. Something is very wrong.

If both left and right side are worn out, then I suspect alignment. If one side is significantly worse than the other, then I suspect failed suspension component.

Recommend a full inspection on the suspension and an alignment (theoretically, get it checked, but it seems ever time something is out enough to need an alignment). Given the wear and the unsettled behavior, the sooner the better.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WiscoBandit
The rear end of my car sways all over in the rain. It's flat out scary! All the sudden it's not handling particularly great on dry pavement as well.
i looked at this thread title four times and all i can think of is willie nelson singing "blue eyes crying in the rain". i'm sorry about that.

[LIST][*]I do need new rear tires. However, I replaced the tires last fall and they only lasted 600 miles! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've ordered new tires, but it seems like it was swaying before the tires were bad. I don't want to put the new tires on it and have them only last 600 miles again. That will get expensive!
you're missing a zero, right? your tires only lasted 600 miles..? if 600 miles, and not 6000? you must be pulling someone's leg. if you get 6000 miles on rears on the street it means you're gentle on them

Another issue that I'm having, which is not related:

It seems like when I am taking off, it requires a lot of attention not to have the car jerk back and forth. It seems like I have to release the clutch very slowly.
releasing the clutch slowly is recommended when taking off from a standstill in a car with a manual transmission. unfortunately, launch control ( which can be used as a driver's aid ) wasn't an available feature of the 996t. you may find that simply releasing the clutch slowly, without throttle until the clutch is fully disengaged will lessen the issue you're having. i suppose if you're new to the car ( let alone manual shift? ) the hydraulic assist of the clutch action *might* require a bit of getting used to. i honestly can't remember.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 PM
GT2 Steve is infamous around these parts
B/4 they start to align the car I would have them check and see if any of the bolts are loose. Especially those effecting the toe.

Sounds like something is loose in the rear suspension.
Unless something is really worn a good alignment should solve your problem. The alignment shop should also mark the bolts once the alignment is complete so you can check them for movement later.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT2 Steve
B/4 they start to align the car I would have them check and see if any of the bolts are loose. Especially those effecting the toe.

Sounds like something is loose in the rear suspension.
Unless something is really worn a good alignment should solve your problem. The alignment shop should also mark the bolts once the alignment is complete so you can check them for movement later.
Yes definitely agree. I had the same problem and it was due to the right rear camber adjustment bolt being totally loose. I managed to get a bit over a thousand miles out of that right rear tire, but most of those miles were on straight highways on a road trip. I did have the car do a complete 540 on the highway at speed in the rain because of it too. And overall the handling felt incredibly twitchy, in particular the turn in was WAY too instantaneous. I would turn the wheel a very small amount and the car would react like it was on steroids.

One new set of rear tires later and a good alignment (to MY specs) and everything is perfect again.