996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I accept this fix and dont think Ruf liked my post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally posted by RufMD
Ruf has flown out techs to customers homes for warranty work, minor suspension adjustments, and practically anything to keep customers happy. Their committment to customer service is legendary, just ask anyone who has needed it.

I recently took my car in to the Porsche dealer for warranty work. The dealer put in a call to Pffafenhausen and spoke to a Ruf tech. The service manager got off the phone and was incredulous. Said the Ruf rep told him to fix whatever was necessary under warranty, and if any extra work was required, just do it and BILL Ruf for the difference. Turns out the fix was minor, and the dealer took care of it, but the impression given to the dealer was not forgotten.

Oh, and by the way, my Ruf warranty was over at the time !
I don't question their quality or reputation. Perhaps I did not spend enough to get the "special treatment."

Like I said, they are welcome to come to Memphis and try and align this bumper. That would be much cheaper than refunding the bumper and refunding my shop bill.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:37 AM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
I wonder, if Ruf were to get it fitted right, would the shop refund Ruf for its time ?

Thats where the customer service from your installer would end....

Old 07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Doug H
I don't question their quality or reputation. Perhaps I did not spend enough to get the "special treatment."

what am I missing? IT appears you are getting it

Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
That would be much cheaper than refunding the bumper and refunding my shop bill.
Doug,
No offense but asking for a refund + the body shop bill with out giving RUF a second chance to correct the problem is not fair.
It seems to me that you don't like the bumper for one reason or the other and you just want your money back,period.I think if thats the case then i won't blame RUF for not refunding the money esp if they are willing to correct the problem

Old 07-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Here's a very funny hypothetical story:

A man buys a quality proven product from a fine company with a Grade A global reputation. He gives this product to an installer who has almost certainly never fitted this product before. There is a minor fitting problem with the product.

Should this person:

a. Call the installer to check if there are any issues with the car or the installation that might have caused this.

b. If the answer is not a. then call the product supplier for their opinion and their suggestions of how to resolve.

c. Do none of this but instead, go on a global internet forum, whine about it and ask 1000 peoples opinions on what to do next..........?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Ruf has flown out techs to customers homes for warranty work, minor suspension adjustments, and practically anything to keep customers happy. Their committment to customer service is legendary, just ask anyone who has needed it.

I recently took my car in to the Porsche dealer for warranty work. The dealer put in a call to Pffafenhausen and spoke to a Ruf tech. The service manager got off the phone and was incredulous. Said the Ruf rep told him to fix whatever was necessary under warranty, and if any extra work was required, just do it and BILL Ruf for the difference. Turns out the fix was minor, and the dealer took care of it, but the impression given to the dealer was not forgotten.

That's what a call service!

Old 07-27-2005, 03:06 PM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts

That's great and good to know, but were talking about a bumper. I would be amazed if they felt they needed to fly a mechanic in to fix it. It does appear that Ruf has offered to replace or refund the problem, which is all I would ask.

I would simply replace it. If that doesn't work, get a refund. No harm done.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally posted by quick
Doug,
No offense but asking for a refund + the body shop bill with out giving RUF a second chance to correct the problem is not fair.
It seems to me that you don't like the bumper for one reason or the other and you just want your money back,period.I think if thats the case then i won't blame RUF for not refunding the money esp if they are willing to correct the problem
I never asked for a refund. Don't want or need any money from anyone.

Ruf is certainly welcome to come fix the problem. If it was just my shop putting it on crooked, then they should be able to straighten it out with no problem.

My question was pretty simple, was the buckle even enough to mess with trying to fix. That it is all. I am still not sure if the buckle is worth the time and effort to put a new bumper on the car.

Regarding the "special treatment," I was pretty much told that they didn't want me to have their bumper on my car like I was not worthy to be a Ruf customer. They said just box it up, send it back and put your stock back on and we will pay your shop bill in a real condescending manner.

I actually like the bumper now that it does not poke out.

I probably spent close to 60k to $ 70 in the last year and a half modding Porsches and to my recollection I have never *****ed about anything. I also am not going to keep my mouth shut in effort to get a free bumper as rufmd or someone suggested by saying when you go public, the goodwill thing goes out the window. The amount of money we are talking about is pretty trivial to me.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Guy
Here's a very funny hypothetical story:

A man buys a quality proven product from a fine company with a Grade A global reputation. He gives this product to an installer who has almost certainly never fitted this product before. There is a minor fitting problem with the product.

Should this person:

a. Call the installer to check if there are any issues with the car or the installation that might have caused this.

b. If the answer is not a. then call the product supplier for their opinion and their suggestions of how to resolve.

c. Do none of this but instead, go on a global internet forum, whine about it and ask 1000 peoples opinions on what to do next..........?

I would have done both a and b except it was weekend.

What would you do. Is that buckle enough to warrant the hassle of putting on a new bumper?

Old 07-27-2005, 03:53 PM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
I never asked for a refund. Don't want or need any money from anyone.
I think the point of contention that people have with your original post is that you didn't seem to question the installer at all. Those bolts might be there to fix damage that they caused. All of your action has been directed at Ruf and you make no mention of questioning the installer even once about the install.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:58 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Doug,
I personally think no matter RUF or Techart , the car should be perfect afterwards. These are well respected companies. I know I would have a hard time looking at my car knowing something is wrong. If they are offering you a new bumper, why not? Otherwise box it up send it back and get a refund and start over. I think RUF is going above and beyond with their offer.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:59 PM
I wonder, if Ruf were to get it fitted right, would the shop refund Ruf for its time ?

Thats where the customer service from your installer would end....
Then perhaps Ruf should not send parts out. I don't know. Too easy for one to blame the other and me to get stuck in the middle.

Even if a mold is used, is it absolutely impossible for a piece to come out wrong. Can it not set up incorrectly or warp during cool down.

This is just the nature of the beast. I used the absolute best shop charging the highest rate in my area. This is who my Porsche dealer uses for their stuff. My only other option was to drive to Dallas which is not feasible for a bumper. So what gives.

What should I have done. Your the md, tell me doc, what should I have done or should I just not have bought a Ruf part since I live in the boonies where there are no Ruf shops handy.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
I would have done both a and b except it was weekend.

What would you do. Is that buckle enough to warrant the hassle of putting on a new bumper?

Simple.

Wait until Monday then do a then b.

Option c achieves nothing until you have exhausted the other options and is something used as a tactic to shame a company into action that would not otherwise respond in the appropriate manner. Ruf are well known for their qualiity service as they have proved in their response, so your thread was a badly misjudged action.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by pdutta2000
I think the point of contention that people have with your original post is that you didn't seem to question the installer at all. Those bolts might be there to fix damage that they caused. All of your action has been directed at Ruf and you make no mention of questioning the installer even once about the install.
Not necessarily true. My original post on Friday said this:

At first, I was in love with this bumper. Now I almost like stock better. On top of that I found a fitment issue. Puffs out in front of the passenger side tire at the bottom lip area. Sticks out enough to look like crap. I am hoping the can squeeze it in and screw it done or is coming off and stock going back on.

Never blamed anyone initially.

After I looked at it very closely, not rocket science here, all the seams lined up perfectly, but the material bowed out at the bottom. If seams were off, I would be more inclined to accept installation error.

Never said Ruf sucked. I actually said this bumper was much better than others, but it was still off.

The fact of the matter is:

(1) It is a new bumper;

(2) No-one here knows anything about my shop or their abilities; and

(3) No-one here has examined it but me and my shop.

I never targeted anyone really. Just asked for opinions if it looked better than stock and said I had a fitment issue. I did not get may panties in a wad until I spoke with Ruf on Monday and was treated rudely. Seriously, he pretty much said we don't want our bumper on your car, send it back.

Last edited by Doug H; 07-27-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
you are one of few from what i've read

I love it when parts fit how they should
scott ,
techart ahd a bad batch of the gts front bumper and tahts it.. but all original techart stuff liek skirts add ons etc. fits lieka chram..

there have been a few places that sold the fakes and claimed it to be the real deal.. and those are the ones that are having fitment issues.. ive seen a bucnh of o.g. t/a stuff and all of them fit like a charm..

most of the people having fitment issues are the fake ones.. atone point i actually had a set of the fake skirts.. damn thing did not fit.. it was of by 1/2 inch so when u push the kit toward st he body it would crack.. i ended up getting teh real deal .. which is great .. damn thing snapped into place. virtually no prep needed..

jsutmy .02 cents..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Should I accept this fix and dont think Ruf liked my post