996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any flashed ECU blow up a Mezger M64/70w (or is this a special 9ff feature?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

that is bad news. I read the 9ff reputation bashing here in some threads and I always thought how can it be that this company lets the clients down and doesn't do a thing here. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience.

I have a friend who is client of 9ff and some clients meet on saturdays in Dortmund. The only person I "know" at 9ff is Jan.

That's where I met Jan as well. We spoke about some of this briefly and at least some cars have been quite modified after his work and he felt not responsible for damages if clients modify the car - that's why I asked.

Well, Mark will tell you about the tune. If you have a broken block it must have been bent rods or a massive detonation - or both. There is not so many reasons where this comes from.

Andreas

Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
yup both times it was a broken piston after detonation in 2&3

ill post a pic soon.

a complete 9ff kit, installed by awesome shops.

you tell me what else it can be but the program?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 AM
GT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond reputeGT996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttpopo
you tell me what else it can be but the program?
- bad fuel (compared to what the tune really needs, not what somebody says)
- bad fuel pressure / quantity at top end
- wrong plugs (too hot, causing early ignition)
- air leak in the vacuum lines to the wastegate actuators causing too much boost
- too tight actuators causing too much boost for the timing

You had it twice. It narrows down to the tune, but as I said: Mark will tell you. If the tune looks ok for your fuel, you have to find the cause or you probably will run into it again.

Did you do a built motor after the first one blew? Or did you do a repair to stock specs? Sorry if I missed that in the posts above.

Andreas

Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
brand new create motor from Porsche.

$36k USD.

it had 12k miles on it.

too much boost and rpm for 91 octane.

it would be nice to hear Jan opinion, but he just hides.
that's how he does business.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM
996turbo4365 is a name known to all996turbo4365 is a name known to all996turbo4365 is a name known to all996turbo4365 is a name known to all996turbo4365 is a name known to all996turbo4365 is a name known to all
all the best to you on your new mods, question why did you choose to have a crate motor instead of having one rebuilt with stronger parts...not saying that it would hold up better on a bad tune

Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by 996turbo4365
all the best to you on your new mods, question why did you choose to have a crate motor instead of having one rebuilt with stronger parts...not saying that it would hold up better on a bad tune
Personally, I think that building a big power motor is a huge ???? and $$$$. The Porsche motor had a 2yr warranty. At the time, I didn't realize it was the software, so I figured that a brand new engine would go the rest of the car's usable life, and also help with resale a bit.

This time, I'm using a used motor. there's no reason a 600HP Gt1 should blow up beyond bad tune...end of story. My car is well maintained, nothing wrong mechanically.

At any rate, I would have loved to hear 9ff's opinion both times. I sent them emails and called last time, they just dodged it all. This time, I just sent him a pic of the hole in the block and moved on. i know how they roll...

They're concentrating on china and middle east.

Their ideal customer will never drive the car anyhow.

You gotta give them credit for staying in biz as long as they have despite everything. Maybe Jan knows how to do it better than I give him credit - or not. He'll bork the wrong russian mafia dudes car and instantly do a Uwe Gemballa impersonation.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:35 AM
Hi,

The Porsche motor had a 2yr warranty. At the time, I didn't realize it was the software, so I figured that a brand new engine would go the rest of the car's usable life, and also help with resale a bit.
the moment you put your tune and parts on the car you lost the warranty, so that's no argument for that motor. You would have been better off with a built motor, but that's just what I would have done.

Since you asked for feedback from 9ff I asked my friend to talk to Jan about this and I got this information:

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with 9ff, nor is my friend. We are just passing information on to you. So please don't shoot the messenger.

Jan got your email about 2 weeks ago, where you have been asking if the failure could be caused by the tune. He decided not to react on it for the following reasons:

You wanted to become the US representative for 9ff about 7/8 years ago. Part of this was the delivery of 3 sets like your and you wanted to build 3 cars in order to have something to present. One of these cars was yours. Now, after that long time you come and blame the tune.

The employees you mentioned are no longer with 9ff for quite some time now and Jan said that he hasn't had contact to you for a very long time, too - which is the reason why he was surprised to read your mail after such a long time.

The tune you have is quite old and conservative. Today they are doing it quite differently. They have a 750 HP bolt on kit and compared to that the old 600 HP kit was quite conservative. Especially when you take into consideration that you guys don't have long time high speed sections on the Autobahn, like we (can) have.

What is with the other two cars? Are they running ok or did they blew as well?

You drove the car for some years without problems. How come that all of the sudden the motor should blow?

============================

I don't want to get between you and Jan. All I wanted to provide is the feedback you were asking for. Jan is quite busy and doesn't read internet forums, so he will not answer here himself.

My personal question would be: did you ever log the car and make sure everything is fine with fueling and timing? If not, I would advise to do so this time. It can save you some trouble.

Andreas

Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
I kinda agree with off, how many miles did you have on each tune before blowing the engine?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 AM
lols. Jan got the same email from me 4 years ago after my first motor blew up. he never returned my emails or calls that time.

btw, we had a look at the tune...

way too much boost, not enough timing, not enough fuel trim for the octane.

very strange tuning.

im not sure what Jan is talking about re 3 cars? this is the only car I know of with this software.

distract and confuse thats the strategy. I see now how Its done.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by Christian
I kinda agree with off, how many miles did you have on each tune before blowing the engine?
first motor survived 20k miles of 9ff tune
second motor survived 12k miles of 9ff.

Hey I guess I should be happy.

anybody else get that many miles from their flashed ECU?

Old 05-12-2013, 06:12 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
first motor survived 20k miles of 9ff tune
second motor survived 12k miles of 9ff.

Hey I guess I should be happy.

anybody else get that many miles from their flashed ECU?
There are thousands of cars with tens of thousands of miles. I didn't really want to post in here, but it begs the question: Did you ever chassis dyno your car? Datalog any high speed runs, etc?

There are so few engines blown up, I can't see blaming the tune. There are guys that have rebuilt engines, yes, but that was because they bent rods with too much TQ, but again, never melted anything. Bottom line is: detonation is what melts pistons, which is caused by many things. Is your fuel system in good shape? Fuel pump still working up to snuff? All your injectors clean and working? Do you keep melting the same piston? You need to take your car to a reputable Porsche tuner/mechanic that knows Porches and knows how to use a dyno before you burn up #3. Most tunes are very conservative, especially "new" ones. You said above that boost was high and timing was low, which generally is OK, if fueling is there. Again, have you checked everything on your car?

Again, I am not saying it is NOT the tune, but I have a hard time believing that, unless you have verified that the rest of the car is perfect. If it IS the tune, shame on you for putting #2 motor in and starting the car, without checking everything.

Last edited by ttboost; 05-12-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
anybody hear of any of these tunes blowing up a motor?
Everyone blows up motors R&ding.. Back to your question, once the car is delivered it is the owner responsibility to maintain and keep a eye on things.. Do you have logs of the 9ff tune?

Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Everyone blows up motors R&ding.. Back to your question, once the car is delivered it is the owner responsibility to maintain and keep a eye on things.. Do you have logs of the 9ff tune?
Exactly, you got to keep an eye on things. You could have a wastegate line off or broken rod that would make it overboost, etc. Boost leak check on these cars every year or two as well would be pretty standard IMO. So dang many hoses and lines that could start leaking and the rubber is getting old...

When my engine was out for the coolant repair, the tech replaced all the vac lines he could while he was in there to keep things fresh! I plan on doing plugs and an oil change soon and will do a leak test after I get the intercoolers back on.

Then I plan on doing some datalogging and getting an altitude adjustment - maybe even an attitude adjustment lol. Sucks moving from where I had the fastest Porsche to being 1/2 the horsepower of Deepblue! LoL

Old 05-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
There are thousands of cars with tens of thousands of miles. I didn't really want to post in here, but it begs the question: Did you ever chassis dyno your car? Datalog any high speed runs, etc?

There are so few engines blown up, I can't see blaming the tune. There are guys that have rebuilt engines, yes, but that was because they bent rods with too much TQ, but again, never melted anything. Bottom line is: detonation is what melts pistons, which is caused by many things. Is your fuel system in good shape? Fuel pump still working up to snuff? All your injectors clean and working? Do you keep melting the same piston? You need to take your car to a reputable Porsche tuner/mechanic that knows Porches and knows how to use a dyno before you burn up #3. Most tunes are very conservative, especially "new" ones. You said above that boost was high and timing was low, which generally is OK, if fueling is there. Again, have you checked everything on your car?

Again, I am not saying it is NOT the tune, but I have a hard time believing that, unless you have verified that the rest of the car is perfect. If it IS the tune, shame on you for putting #2 motor in and starting the car, without checking everything.
Such good points. just because they are a rep repair shop does not mean they are able to diagnose a car that has upgrades. So many times they blame the part/tune not knowing.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:32 PM
lols. Jan got the same email from me 4 years ago after my first motor blew up. he never returned my emails or calls that time.

btw, we had a look at the tune...

way too much boost, not enough timing, not enough fuel trim for the octane.

very strange tuning.

im not sure what Jan is talking about re 3 cars? this is the only car I know of with this software.

distract and confuse thats the strategy. I see now how Its done.
Was the tune requesting that boost? should you have a 5bar and have a 3.8? knock sensors reading anything? fuel trim is off lambda so octane would not effect that unless there was knock.. you may have other things at play.. misinformed by someone who wants to sell you a tune? Do you have pics of the blown engine?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any flashed ECU blow up a Mezger M64/70w (or is this a special 9ff feature?)