996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

changing Clutch, Do I resurface the flywheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Yes John you are lucky. I1m just relating my experiences and what the pros are telling me. The factory recommends changing the flywheel when you change the clutch. I wish I would have done that since the FW lasted only 15K from when my clutch was changed, Mike
My Porsche master tech at Lober Porsche, the one who inspects and did the last clutch job told me he rarely sees a bad one unless serve abuse on a bad clutch?
So, who would you trust then? LOL

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
With few exceptions, almost any "mechanic" is going to tell you to replace the flywheel when you do a clutch. He can make more money that way. This is also his way of having an "out" if the clutch "goes bad".
Truth is, unless you have been driving with a slipping clutch a for a period of time, it should be fine. The second you pull the clutch off, you'll know. You cannot grind a factory dual mass flywheel either.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
because the amount of time on the lift is the main issue this is a simple fix.
buy a replacement flywheel. if you need it when you tear the trans apart you have it. if not return it for a refund minus a small restocking fee.
the pros and cons are equal on both sides. from my experience working on these cars is diffucult and the chance of other things going wrong while doing something else is 50/50. if it were me i would replace it once and not worry about it. but then again i have had my car apart so many times i have lost count.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I am going to trust a master Porsche tech over a typical shop mechanic.
And the proof is in the pudding with my dual mass being good after my HP level, driving style and 3 clutches later. .

Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 PM
richgraham is a jewel in the roughrichgraham is a jewel in the roughrichgraham is a jewel in the rough
I think of it this way: New clutch and flywheel will have perfectly smooth faces contacting each other for optimal contact. New clutch on old flywheel would have clutch gripping an uneven surface. That's enough for me. Why cheap out with these cars?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I believe there are instances for any thing to go bad. And things do go bad..
I am sharing my experiences and what I have saw.. And I know how I drive and beat on my car to go through 3 clutches and still have the original DM wheel.. So am I Lucky then?? and the others that have theirs still?
Look at my signature with my power level,full mods with 18g..
I Agree with John. That talk of the DMF not holding up to power is foolish, IMO. I have over 80,000 high HP miles on a DMF with no problems. I would be more concerned with the talk of the longterm effects of the lighweight flywheel causing premature crankshaft/bearing wear on the 996TT turbo due to the different harmonics/vibration inherent in the design...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Considering the cost of your power mods, I wouldn't cheap out here. You'll be really angry if you have to go back in there and spend another 4k because something happened.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ajs76
Considering the cost of your power mods, I wouldn't cheap out here. You'll be really angry if you have to go back in there and spend another 4k because something happened.
Sorry but it doesn't have to do with being cheap here ,, we have enough in our car and don't mind spending money on them..
Its being in the know from being around and seeing and doing,,
Not by others speculation to jump on others band wagon over a few mishaps...
Its all good here, sharing info and helping spending money as needed..

Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Ya this is not about money. If it has to be done I will pay to have it done. If it doesn't have to be done I will not spend the money for no reason.

There are so many members on this board who have so much knowledge I love posting questions like this and learning.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 AM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
For those of us that are "feeling lucky" about re-using our DMFW I ask:

What should I look for when inspecting it? I am replacing my clutch because up-coming HP upgrades not any issues with it now. My car has 30k miles on it and I've had it since 5k miles.

Should I clean it up with ultra fine(1000grit+) sand paper? or anything else like that?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 AM
X Speed Racer X is infamous around these parts
Highly recommend you replace it. But considering you only have 30,000 miles you may be okay. But please make sure to use a feeler gauge and check for warpage.

Take a look at the first page of this thread where I made a comment about this before. I attached a link you may want to check out. In fact, make sure you read that other thread in its entirety. It's definitely worth the read.

On our high-end platform, I cannot reiterate how important it is to simply replace the flywheel with a new one (Whether it's a dual mass or a lightweight flywheel).

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I would recommend replacing it for the peace of mind as well as not taking a chance of curbing the life of the new clutch due to uneven wear. If you need a LWFW, I have them on the shelf and could get it out today for you. There are points to both sides of this, but with how big of a job it is I personally would want all of the bases covered when it comes time to disassemble. Especially this time of year when shop time can be limited.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I am going to trust a master Porsche tech over a typical shop mechanic.
And the proof is in the pudding with my dual mass being good after my HP level, driving style and 3 clutches later. .
Same here...I trust my indy and he is always honest with me. When I got my Clutch Masters FX 350 installed last month he said my original flywheel was fine. I've got about 600WHP and the stock DM FW is perfectly capable of handling this. When I got the clutch it was literally the day after I noticed slippage so like others have said, if the FW was subjected to a lot of slippage the story might be different.
BTW, I love the feel of the CM FX350! More aggressive than stock but no steep learning curve.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by magoochi
For those of us that are "feeling lucky" about re-using our DMFW I ask:

What should I look for when inspecting it? I am replacing my clutch because up-coming HP upgrades not any issues with it now. My car has 30k miles on it and I've had it since 5k miles.

Should I clean it up with ultra fine(1000grit+) sand paper? or anything else like that?

Thanks
With other cars as SOP I'd just resurface the FW. I'd be inclined to do this with the Turbo's DMF. I've talked to techs at dealers and provided the DMF is otherwise OK they have no qualms about sending one out to be resurfaced. In one case the clutch disc wore down to the rivets and the tech told me the rivets wore a circular/round groove into the face of the DMF. I asked to see this and he said he'd sent out the DMF to be resurfaced. So they can be resurrected so to speak even if there is wear.

OTOH, if the DMF was not exhibiting any symptoms of trouble before and the clutch wasn't slipping -- which raises the specter of overheating which can result in a grabby clutch operation once the new clutch hardware is installed -- and with a precision straight edge the DMF friction surface is within flatness specifications, I'd leave it alone.

Had my Turbo in at around 110K miles for an RMS job. Tranny came out and of course along with the clutch and the DMF. Clutch disc thickness was still at the new dimension (1.7mm). I measured it myself with a precision depth micrometer. The DMF was just fine. The only piece of hardware the tech replaced were the two small needle bearings in which the clutch control shaft fits.