996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

changing Clutch, Do I resurface the flywheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
changing Clutch, Do I resurface the flywheel?

Im doing the clutch on a weekend and can't tie up the hoist for longer than that. Problem is resurfacing the flywheel? I don't want to do this half assed but read it may not need to be done. Input? Car has 44k Miles and was stock for 43K of those miles. Changing clutch due to power upgrades.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
It all depends on the condition of your old one.
If the clutch was not slipping bad a lot or slipping with harsh driving continued, I really doubt it needs to be replaced.. Just emery cloth the glaze off, if any.
I still have my original one in with this being my 3rd clutch needed in it at 43,000 miles..

Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Flywheel is probably fine, but you can get it checked.

If it's not holding....Replace it. I think it's somewhat difficult to resurface.

New DMFW is roughly $800-900. You can go with a LWFW for about the same.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
why dont you put a lightweight flywheel ?
i have an aasco lwfw that weighs 11 lbs and a few clutches to choose from.
you can keep your throwout bearing and original sleeve !
lighter than a 964lwfw set up, which i also have if youre interested.

Last edited by DNugget991GT3; 05-14-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Look at pros and cons of a lightweight flywheel..
I will stick with dual mass for the street..

Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Buy a new one. Why bother doing all the work for a problem later

Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
If it looks good on the surface and the car was not severally abused with a continued clutch slippage problem,, what problem would show up later??
I have been around many PCA members that never replaced their dual mas if it checked out and didn't have any problems down the road..
Just Saying...

Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
If you are doing it yourself and not paying someone to do it I would favor re using the old one if it is in good shape. If you are paying someone, get a new one.

That way if there are any problems its just your labor. Or if paying and going with new there would be no excuses if any problems arise.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
X Speed Racer X is infamous around these parts
I highly recommend you replace with a new flywheel (and I think others will agree as well). You may want to read this thread, especially page 2 and post #17. Might be worth it to read the entire thread as well.....
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...car-off-2.html

hope this helps and good luck!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
It all depends on the condition of your old one.
If the clutch was not slipping bad a lot or slipping with harsh driving continued, I really doubt it needs to be replaced.. Just emery cloth the glaze off, if any.
I still have my original one in with this being my 3rd clutch needed in it at 43,000 miles..
I would read my above post and #7 again unless you like to spend money..
I am on my third clutch at my power level and have the Porsche Tech look at my flywheel each time,,
I am going by real experiences by someone who had his apart and drives his car hard. ..
So bottom line is ,anyone can give you advice on spending your money but until you get it apart you will never know because it is a easy check ..
Its all good,, just sharing

Last edited by johnspeed; 05-14-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Ya I am going to look at mine and determine what I need from there. Being low miles and stock for 99.9% of its life (and I am changing because of upgrades not because it is slipping) I am thinking it is going to be fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
I would read my above post and #7 again unless you like to spend money..
I am on my third clutch at my power level and have the Porsche Tech look at my flywheel each time,,
I am going by real experiences by someone who had his apart and drives his car hard. ..
So bottom line is ,anyone can give you advice on spending your money but until you get it apart you will never know because it is a easy check ..
Its all good,, just sharing
Hey John, I had my DM flywheel checked by my tech who said it was fine but ended up with horrible clunking and noisy when idling in nuetral. When we replaced with a lwfw we checked the dm flywheel again and it was still ok using the factory testing parameters. UMW says at increased power levels the dm fly won`t last. I tend to agree. I am now enjoying what seems like an extra 50 hp and quicker 0-60 times and if you don`t like the noise, turn off the AC when you come to a stop. Mike

Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Hey John, I had my DM flywheel checked by my tech who said it was fine but ended up with horrible clunking and noisy when idling in nuetral. When we replaced with a lwfw we checked the dm flywheel again and it was still ok using the factory testing parameters. UMW says at increased power levels the dm fly won`t last. I tend to agree. I am now enjoying what seems like an extra 50 hp and quicker 0-60 times and if you don`t like the noise, turn off the AC when you come to a stop. Mike
I believe there are instances for any thing to go bad. And things do go bad..
I am sharing my experiences and what I have saw.. And I know how I drive and beat on my car to go through 3 clutches and still have the original DM wheel.. So am I Lucky then?? and the others that have theirs still?
Look at my signature with my power level,full mods with 18g..

Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
I believe there are instances for any thing to go bad. And things do go bad..
I am sharing my experiences and what I have saw.. And I know how I drive and beat on my car to go through 3 clutches and still have the original DM wheel.. So am I Lucky then?? and the others that have theirs still?
Look at my signature with my power level,full mods with 18g..
Yes John you are lucky. I1m just relating my experiences and what the pros are telling me. The factory recommends changing the flywheel when you change the clutch. I wish I would have done that since the FW lasted only 15K from when my clutch was changed, Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: changing Clutch, Do I resurface the flywheel?