996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

P0344 and P0335 cam / crank codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 AM
DaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud of
Smile P0344 and P0335 cam / crank codes

2003 Turbo. I recently had these two codes pop up with a steady check engine light. Car runs fine, both idle and under power. Normally, some searching will provide much information, but in this case I have found very little.

The best piece of information I have found is a two page cut from the manual section O-53.1, which indicates some possible fault codes including potential corrosion.

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or information as to what to try before taking to the dealer? Is the sensor accessible from under the car, information on precise location? Maybe it would be worth a try to pull the connector on/off and reset just to see if loose?

I believe I read someone that this car has 2 sensors, and the second will backup the first, so expecting this is OK to drive?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thx

Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
DaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud of
Completed repair

For the benefit of the thread and others who may encounter..

I replaced the driver side cam position sensor (hall sensor), checked codes again (had only 344 code), and have driven 40-50 miles at this point with no CEL.

The dealer had diagnosed through Porsche technique this problem to likely be a cam issue (the disc on the cam with the high spots was thought to have moved!). The mechanic did tell me to definately replace the sensor just to be sure. The dealer cost was about $700 to replace the sensor, somewhere in the $6-7K to replace the cam.

I accessed under the car by removing the flat heat shield, and loosing and moving the heat shield around the turbo for more hand clearance. It took me less than 2 hours, fairly tight area to work in but possible.

Quite pleased I tried this myself, and with >50 miles no CEL going to assume it was the sensor.