996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch slave or accumulator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Porschejeff is infamous around these parts
I had the same symptoms, minus the leaking. Last season my PS fluid was low. At the beginning of this season I had the high pitched whining in 1st and 2nd gear and the clutch pedal was very stiff when cold. After a few miles or pumping of the clutch pedal it felt fine. I read lots on here that it was the accumulator. My indy mechanic suggested replacing the slave at the same time so as not to incur the labor costs again. I think the total repair costs for parts, materials and labor was around $900 for the stock clutch. What a nice smooth feel like it should be.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 PM
dubhov is infamous around these partsdubhov is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnspeed
REALLY??
And they apparently go out with STOCK clutch set -ups also..
I guess luck of the draw OR driving the vehicle the right way..
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I have no experience with an aftermarket clutch (but have been heavily considering it and searching these forums incessantly), but it seems like the 997 slave and accumulator would survive just fine with a Sachs 2.5 which isn't TOO too heavy. The people running a heavier clutch are the ones that are seeing immediate failures with non GT2 conversions. That's what I've taken from all of this anyway.

That said, I'm probably going to run a 997 slave and accumulator and a Sachs 2.5 when the time (unfortunately) comes...so I may be biased.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
dustent is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dubhov
I'm probably going to run a 997 slave and accumulator and a Sachs 2.5 when the time (unfortunately) comes...so I may be biased.
Thanks for all the feedback - I was hoping we'd be able to identify one or the other but it sounds like I just need to bite the bullet and do both.

If I don't want to do the GT2 upgrade, it sounds like I should use the 997 Turbo slave and accumulator as a minor upgrade? Is that the right move?

Anyone have those part numbers handy?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dubhov
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I have no experience with an aftermarket clutch (but have been heavily considering it and searching these forums incessantly), but it seems like the 997 slave and accumulator would survive just fine with a Sachs 2.5 which isn't TOO too heavy. The people running a heavier clutch are the ones that are seeing immediate failures with non GT2 conversions. That's what I've taken from all of this anyway.

That said, I'm probably going to run a 997 slave and accumulator and a Sachs 2.5 when the time (unfortunately) comes...so I may be biased.
If you read all my above posts from my experience, its my opinion from the clutch jobs and mileage that I have that you will be fine..
Good Luck

Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
When I repalced my slave and accumulator for the third time I used the 997 parts. They faired no better that the 996 parts. But your results may differ. But I have had zero issues since I went to the GT2 set-up.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gunther
When I repalced my slave and accumulator for the third time I used the 997 parts. They faired no better that the 996 parts. But your results may differ. But I have had zero issues since I went to the GT2 set-up.
Agreed - convert it and be done. No future headaches.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Yes the GT2 set-up is the best way to go if you do want to spend the money...
I guess for whatever reason some get by on the stock set-up, like me..,,,,,
So far,,,LOL..