996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:06 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
OK so then we can conclude that my 5 inch straight out pipes are the best? Need I show you guys the flames again?!?!

Old 07-31-2005, 11:08 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Craig, what are u going to call ur pipes?

Fabpipes or Eurospeed?

Old 08-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Zippy
Craig - a buddy of mine built an exhaust as you are describing. I'm not sure of the pipe diameter, but it was a real ear bleeder!

Mike
Mike, I originally planned to use a 10 inch muffler in a nearly straight run from the turbo to the tip (2 inches off axis). However, the general concensus was that it would be too loud (although quieter than straight pipes). Now, I will be using 17 inch long mufflers, which should remove considerably more volume.

Fabspeed appears to use 3 or 3.5 inch mufflers (outside diameter), which means they have 1/2 - 1 inch of sound absorbing material with a 2.5 inch inside diameter. I will be using a 4.5 inch outside diameter muffler, which means I will have 1.5 inches of sound absorbing material (with a 3 inch inside diameter). Therefore, with more sound absorbing material, I should not be louder than a Fabspeed exhaust, and I may be quieter.

Craig

Old 08-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by collin996tt
Craig, what are u going to call ur pipes?

Fabpipes or Eurospeed?

I prefer Speedpipes!!!!

If it works out, my exhaust shop will be building a template so they can reproduce the exhaust for anyone else who might be interested.

Craig

Old 08-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Europipe Stage 2 -- that's the ticket!

Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Craig
Mike, I originally planned to use a 10 inch muffler in a nearly straight run from the turbo to the tip (2 inches off axis). However, the general concensus was that it would be too loud (although quieter than straight pipes). Now, I will be using 17 inch long mufflers, which should remove considerably more volume.

Fabspeed appears to use 3 or 3.5 inch mufflers (outside diameter), which means they have 1/2 - 1 inch of sound absorbing material with a 2.5 inch inside diameter. I will be using a 4.5 inch outside diameter muffler, which means I will have 1.5 inches of sound absorbing material (with a 3 inch inside diameter). Therefore, with more sound absorbing material, I should not be louder than a Fabspeed exhaust, and I may be quieter.

Craig
Craig - I hope you're right. The exhaust this Guy made was screaming loud. I can't imagine what straight-pipes would be like. It definately made the EP2 Loud sound like OEM. Have you considered trying to get Europipe to make an exhaust for you like they did for Chad? I believe the piping is 85MM.

Mike

Old 08-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Zippy
Craig - I hope you're right. The exhaust this Guy made was screaming loud. I can't imagine what straight-pipes would be like. It definately made the EP2 Loud sound like OEM. Have you considered trying to get Europipe to make an exhaust for you like they did for Chad? I believe the piping is 85MM.

Mike
I would not be interested in a Europipe exhaust that uses a chamber muffler, regardless of the pipe diameter -- chamber mufflers rob power. ALL racing mufflers are straight through designs. For example:

Borla Racing Mufflers:

Burns Stainless Racing Mufflers:

MagnaFlow Racing Mufflers:

Now look at the Fabspeed exhaust, which was independantly proven to produce the most power of the 996TT exhausts available at the time of the test:

Not surprisingly, Fabspeed uses straight through mufflers similar to the racing mufflers depicted above. IMHO, that is the predominant reason why the Fabspeed produces more power.

Now look at the Europipe:

Europipe uses a chamber muffler, presumably because it is quieter. Europipe sacrifices power for sound attenuation, presumably because that is what most customers desire.

I am trying to strike a balance. Straight pipes produce the most power, but the volume is intolerable. Chamber mufflers sap too much power. A properly used straight through racing muffler will hopefully strike the right balance. I would use the Fabspeed exhaust, but for the restrictive 63.5mm piping.

You wrote that CJV is using 85mm piping? That is really big. If that figure is correct, Im sure it comes from the turbo books he has utilized (I forgot the name) and I will not disagree. However, my exhaust pro thinks 85 mm is too large for my car. While larger diameter piping reduces restrictions, it also can slow down the velocity of the exhaust gases, which can reduce power and increase turbo lag. The key is to strike a balance, such that the diameter is large enough to permit a free flow, while not reducing velocity too much. Thats how we came up with 76 mm for my application. A larger diamter may be appropriate for CJV's higher horsepower application.

Craig

Last edited by Craig; 08-01-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
it has less to do with the actual design and more to do with flow velocity and characteristics. Only a flow bench will measure this accurately. By design the stright through inherently appears to flow better intuitively...but that doesn't mean it actualy does or has to. With the right tools and testing (ie...time and money) you should be able to design a chamber system that flows just as well...but then it would probably be just as loud. If the is getting through the sound probably is too...

dave w

Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Re: GT2 Exhaust

Originally posted by BBGT2
Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and had a couple of questions. I have searched the posts but wanted a couple of feedback's nonetheless. I am looking into a exhaust system for my 02 GT2 and was wondering what all of you think. Which is a REAL good sounding, performance exhaust system, BB, Fabspeed or any other ones that you can recommend. I am not a serious track user BUT power and sound is what I am looking for. I have seen the sharkwerks site and am leaning toward the fabspeed exhaust but just wanted other opinions.
Thank's in advance!

BBGT2
I have a Fabspeed exhaust for the GT2 for sale, let me know if your interested.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:58 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Years ago I read a dyno test on 2 1/2" mufflers behind a modified 454 Chevy dyno motor. The reverse flow OEM Corvair turbo and Chrysler Hemi mufflers produced as much or more power than the straight thru glass pack mufflers. They were also much quieter. Part of the problem with the turbo is that there isn't enough room for an ideal muffler. The chambers have to be too small.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
there is a huge theoretical difference in system air flow through a turbo and NA motor. Itis very common for NA motors to loose power when flow is increased beyond a specific point due to a number of reasons. Generally with turbo apps this in not as common because you are using forced induction to get such a large volume in you need to evacuate it as fast as possible and the turbo itself is the bottleneck. continually increasing flow volume seems to yeild an optimal point and then level off vs decreasing. My point is that you can't really compare 454 chevy dyno results to a twin turbo application...

dave w