996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

electrical malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013 | 07:30 PM
pat
|
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
I found it.. the cable to open the lid... the alt had a dead short. Good thing the battery had a low charge.

Old 06-15-2013 | 07:35 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I'm stupid, I was trying to troubleshoot your electrical problem never thought about the mechanical cable....Especially, lately, the ground from the engine to frame seems to give TT owners lots of problems....Happy you found your problem Pat and please don't be too angry at your father

Old 06-15-2013 | 08:51 PM
pat
|
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
I got the engine bay open. And alt out. Alt seems OK. Retested for short. Not there now. May have melted away the short . Will check all underneath in the morning.

Old 06-15-2013 | 09:14 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pat
loaded to get home
Never like to see one of our babies being towed due to a problem -- but if it has to be towed, I like the way you're doing it with another Porsche . Good luck with the repairs.

Old 06-21-2013 | 09:14 AM
pat
|
update. put the new alt in and still shorting out problem. found it last night. I had put new diverter valves in and they were aluminum not plastic like the original ones. behind the positive termainal in the engine bay it had worn off the insulation and was now contacting the diverter valves some times. the diverter valves were tight enough to make contact with something else to short out sometimes.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130620_220810_957.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	254055  
Old 06-21-2013 | 09:18 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Wow good catch Pat!!!! Had the same problem with mine , the head of the new diverter valves was a lot bigger and had to provide space for the new ones. And it is tight in there!!!

Old 06-21-2013 | 12:34 PM
pat
|
I taped it up and put zip ties over the top. should be good now.

Old 06-21-2013 | 08:01 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Great troubleshooting everyone. I am still new to the 996tt, threads like this one are of great value to those that end up with similar symptoms. Good stuff!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.