996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

electrical malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013 | 10:08 AM
pat
|
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
electrical malfunction

Something weird happened. Water fitting let go under the altanator. Jb welded back in.. alt went out. . Made it home on starter power pack. Put in what I thought was a good alt my dad rebuilt.. ask if he tested it. Said yes... no work.. took out my track battery and put in the monster bat that I have for it. Made sure it was fully charged. Went to work this morning on battery power. .no traffic to deal with... around last turn everything lit up then shut off. Had solid 12 v on display. Before.... got pushed to work. Rear bumpers work good. When I turn the key nothing. When I add power to tab in fuse box nothing. I can here a little clicking when I connect but nothing works what so ever.

Old 06-15-2013 | 12:02 PM
pat
|
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Checked the voltage at ground and the positive post in the fuse box. Not showing any voltage.

Old 06-15-2013 | 12:04 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Your alternator is obviously not doing its job. Confirm all connections.

I also suggest that you look into some kind of roadside assistance program to avoid putting your bumpers to the test. Most mobile phone packages will offer roadside assistance for just a few dollars a month.

-V

Old 06-15-2013 | 12:52 PM
pat
|
Definatly the alt I put on is suspect. Ordered another from auto zone last night. The problem is when I add power to the pull out terminal nothing happens. No lights come on and I can't pop the trunk to get in there.

Old 06-15-2013 | 12:54 PM
pat
|
A crown Vic bumper lines right up with the back bumberets.

Old 06-15-2013 | 12:59 PM
pat
|
On my way back to car with my trailer... and hook now..

Old 06-15-2013 | 01:38 PM
pat
|
loaded to get home

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130615_153404_545.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	252491  
Old 06-15-2013 | 02:48 PM
pat
|
how do you open the hood if adding power to the positive tab does not work.

Old 06-15-2013 | 03:12 PM
pat
|
slightly off topic but so rare to be at a computer to put some pictures on. beat todd in his track only car by .004 sec auto cross sunday at the tire rack.. picture of todd. supper sweet car. realy good driver.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2013 | 05:28 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
loaded to get home
Fully equipt Pat!!!! Love it!!!!

Old 06-15-2013 | 05:42 PM
pat
|
Any thoughts on the electrical problem JP.. I am trying to find the cable for the trunk release to pop the hood. Again a thanks for the motorcycle book. I am going to turn the book into a PDF file.

Old 06-15-2013 | 05:51 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
Any thoughts on the electrical problem JP.. I am trying to find the cable for the trunk release to pop the hood. Again a thanks for the motorcycle book. I am going to turn the book into a PDF file.

24 hours a day is not enough for you Pat!!!

Remember, the cable need a very good pull to release the latch!!!! Right side top forward inboard corner....

I had trouble with my alternator three times so far and every time I was able to fix my voltage problem by replacing the regulator only. But once I've tried a cheap regulator ($12.00) and it fail rapidly. Replaced with a Bosch, no problem since....

Old 06-15-2013 | 06:29 PM
pat
|
Update. Thanks JP found the cable..the battery is show ing about 4 volts. Took that out and put a power pack in for rijht now. As soon as I turn it on there is smoke st the connections. At no time did I smell smoke this morning g when this hsppenf.

Old 06-15-2013 | 06:50 PM
pat
|
There us a dead short . Must be the alt. JP were is the cable for the engine deck.

Old 06-15-2013 | 06:54 PM
The cable for the engine deck....I am trying to translate ;-) Can you be more specific Pat for your french speaking friend Are you talking about the ground to the frame?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.