996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Deionized water system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 04:16 PM
PaulF is infamous around these parts
Deionized water system

Has anyone installed a deionizing system in their home for car washing? I have heard that this will greatly cut down on water spots.

Paul

Old 10-31-2003, 04:23 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Yup, you heard right.
I have a DI tank at home, and it does not just "cut down" on the spots - it totally eliminates them, even if I don't dry the cars.
If you have the space and can get one, it is great and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone that washes thier own cars.
Did I mention that I am very happy with mine?

Old 10-31-2003, 04:40 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
it's a tank??? How big is it and where can you find them??? I tried Home Depot, but they don't carry any.

I thought they were attachments on the faucet???

Old 10-31-2003, 04:48 PM
There are some small attachment units for faucets, although I think most of those are not DI, but just some form of water purifiers, most of which I don't think make as pure water as the DI systems (at least that is the info I got when I was doing all my research some time back).

Mine is a tank, about 10" dia x 50" tall. I called IONICS in San Jose (although I don't think they deliver to HI). The water goes in the tank and through a "media" that removes most if not all the various metals, chemicals, etc. and puts out "pure" water.
I am renting "mine", since it is more convenient when it comes time to recharge the tank.
I think it is something like $15 per month and they charge around $45 to come swap it out with a rechargred tank when needed.
They also have a tank about 60% that size that is a little cheaper.

Old 10-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info Doug...

Yeah...i doubt the deliver either but I'm sure I could find some local company that could supply me with a tank.

Sorry for so many questions...but do you fill the tank with regular water and the tank filters the media out...or do they recharge it with deionized water??? I have deionized water that I use in the lab, but that comes in 1 gallon containers that I doubt would be enough to wash my car

Old 10-31-2003, 05:15 PM
Chris;
I attach the garden hose to the inlet, the water runs through the tank, comes out the outlet through a hose to my pressure washer (yes, I know, I know... I use very low pressure and do not blast the car in any way). The pressure washer set up uses a lot less water than just a garden hose on the outlet.
You might look in the phone book or online, IONICS may have a HI outlet, they are a mega outfit doing mega projects all over the world (I was surprised when I went by thier 150,000 sq, ft. building and looked at all the pics of water treatment and desalinizations plants they put around the world and they do the little itty bitty individual guy arrangements too).

Old 11-01-2003, 06:02 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
You may want to try someone like US Filter. They are another mega global outfit that furnishes a lot of bottles to different industries. You would probably be ok with a smaller 1.6 cu ft bottle. Talk to the sales guy about usage. These things last quite a bit of time.

Old 11-01-2003, 08:20 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
You guys are right. I'm a chemical engineer by undergrad training and a simple ion exchange resin system will make the water spot free on drying (minus any dust that collects before it dries).

The problem is, you get low flow from consumer systems and need a storage tank, and then a pressure washer to be able to spray.

They work greaat.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:10 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Doug,
how much $ are we talking about here just for the system, or did u spend?

i surely need one...

Old 11-01-2003, 10:37 AM
sporters78 is infamous around these parts
check your local west marine store they sell systems for boats around $500. i will check the brand name on mine and post it later

Old 11-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 20C4S
Doug,
how much $ are we talking about here just for the system, or did u spend?

i surely need one...
Mine is a tank, about 10" dia x 50" tall. I called IONICS in San Jose (although I don't think they deliver to HI).
I think it is something like $15 per month (I paid 1 year in advance) and they charge around $45 to come swap it out with a rechargred tank when needed.
They also have a tank about 60% that size that is a little cheaper

Old 11-01-2003, 07:24 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Colo cange - Im a ChemE too....

Old 11-03-2003, 06:30 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Cool msindi: I knew there had to be a reason I respected your posts. Illinois ChemE grad '84, Northwestern MBA '89. "What are you doing now? I actually own a specialty chemical company.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
If water spotting is the issue, a $50 solution is a toro "Superblower" leaf blower. Blows the water right off and out of all crevices with 220 mph wind speed. I just hold the unit upside down so the intake never can pick up anything from the ground. Best thing...you only touch the car with the lamb's wool mit during washing. No chance to introduce scratches, unlike a chammy. Dry's the wheels great too....The neighbors do look at you strange, however....

Old 11-03-2003, 11:04 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
rock,
i got one last month after viewing ur post. that thing rocks, especially for drying the wheels.

for those HRE guys, get one for ur polish lip. it works... no more annoying water spot!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deionized water system