996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Journey to rebuild my rear wing assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish100p
Steve,
What would one of those plastic guides cost to get done? I'm in need of one as mine is broken as of yesterday. I'm in no rush as I'm working the next few weekends, but curious as to the cost.

James
James,

I'm not sure of the cost right now. I orders a 12" long piece of nylon and did all the cutting/drilling myself.

The nylon costed approximately $30 (and half of that was shipping). There is quite a bit of labor in the part though. Keep in mind that there are 9 holes in that little part.

I have a drawing I did of the part. When I have time to do a drawing of the ram for the wing, I will send both of them to a machine shop and get an idea of what it will cost.

At least we now have an option. Keep in mind that your part broke because your system is leaking fluid and your wing went up crooked and put the part in a bind. Replacing the part without fixing the leak will cause more damage and next time it may be a more difficult part to replace.

Later, Steve

Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Here's a quick update.

I have settled on a design that will be rebuildable and the drawings are about 90% complete.

Hopefully I can sort out the bugs in the drawings (not sure how to do a few things with the software I'm using) this week and send the part off to get a quote. I'll try to get a quote for two rams and for ten rams to see how much it will change the price.

The drawings I have right now are for the ram, a threaded plug that seals the top of the ram (where the piston and other parts can be installed and no fluid is present in the top area) and the guide that goes in the pump. I may actually do a drawing of the other part in the pump, since I have seen a few failure.

I'm sending these drawings to the link provided earlier in this thread.

Here's a quick example of one of the drawings in 3D mode.

Later, Steve

Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
You have stay with it power lol hope it all works out=great job!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:19 PM
irish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to all
Steve,
I wish I had the ability to do 3d stuff like that. My hat goes off to you bro. I'm going to take my assembly out of my car this week and see what I can do to repair it, but am definitely looking forward to a better solution than bleeding the system, refilling with stop leak, and praying.

James

Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM
We need to figure out how to do a group buy. As an example, the ram I designed is approximately $550 for the pair, but around $170 for the pair I they make 5 pairs.

Hopefully I'll have final pricing with all the o-ring part numbers by the end of the week.

Later, Steve

Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Steve, I'm looking at doing the same thing here in the UK

I'd be happy to buy a set from you though
Group buy sounds like an excellent idea

(Maybe you should make some LED tail lights?!?)

Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Just an FYI, below is the pricing I have managed to put together at this time.

The ram is a lot more expensive, because it requires a better surface finish for the bore the piston moves up and down in.

These prices are directly from the site where I submitted the drawings and an o-ring supplier I found online. I have no affiliation with either site nor am I making any money on these kits.

The kits will include two rebuildable wing rams (they now has a threaded cap) as well as all the o-rings necessary to rebuild the pump and rams (made from Viton 75). After purchasing the new rams, you can buy all the necessary o-ring to rebuild them in the future for under $40.

If I order 1 set = $1,144
If we order 5 sets = $365
If we order 10 sets = $262

If anyone else is interested, I will talk the the site administrator to see if I can put together a group buy.

Later, Steve

Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Steve

I think I could be very interested in this

I don't know if the cost of shipping would rule me out......but I think the reduced cost of a group buy could actually mitigate any shipping costs

(I might be able to do something here myself, but as you're finding out it'd probably be too expensive to do just for myself)

I'm happy to put my name down on your list for a set

Thanks again for your efforts so far

Old 08-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Cowtown10 has a spectacular aura aboutCowtown10 has a spectacular aura about
I thought I had my problem fixed but it looks like it is still weeping enough over time to have to take apart, refill with stop leak and repeat in a few more months.
SO if this fix will keep all the fluid where its suppose to go count me in for a set

Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Might be interested if you got over 5 request due to my little pension ;-). Very good job and info Steve, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 AM
cburke996 is a glorious beacon of lightcburke996 is a glorious beacon of lightcburke996 is a glorious beacon of lightcburke996 is a glorious beacon of lightcburke996 is a glorious beacon of lightcburke996 is a glorious beacon of light
Great work. I'd prob be interested at the 5+ mark, and def at the 10+ mark.

Connor

Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, if the above people actually committed, we would already have 5 pairs.

But let me do a couple of other things first.

I'm going to try to get the drawings produced by a 3D printer just to check for fitment and the accuracy of the drawings.

I'm also looking at creating a new brass tube that could be crimped back on the fittings. This will not be something the average do-it-yourselfer will want to do, but it will be much cheaper.

Later, Steve

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 09-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Very nice work Steve!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
Just an FYI, below is the pricing I have managed to put together at this time.

The ram is a lot more expensive, because it requires a better surface finish for the bore the piston moves up and down in.

These prices are directly from the site where I submitted the drawings and an o-ring supplier I found online. I have no affiliation with either site nor am I making any money on these kits.

The kits will include two rebuildable wing rams (they now has a threaded cap) as well as all the o-rings necessary to rebuild the pump and rams (made from Viton 75). After purchasing the new rams, you can buy all the necessary o-ring to rebuild them in the future for under $40.

If I order 1 set = $1,144
If we order 5 sets = $365
If we order 10 sets = $262

If anyone else is interested, I will talk the the site administrator to see if I can put together a group buy.

Later, Steve

Ok guys, lets get this done shall we?

1: Steve Jarvis
2: Ant_8u
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Cowtown10 has a spectacular aura aboutCowtown10 has a spectacular aura about
If this will solve my issues of fluid weeping over time I am 100% in at the 5+ mark but would obviously love to pay the 10+ price as this is such a common issue 10+ shouldn't be hard to achieve
Thanks for the leg work!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Journey to rebuild my rear wing assembly