996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GP Automotive Renewal Service: Clear Film/Console Repaint - Mika_Hakkinen's 996TT cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up GP Automotive Renewal Service: Clear Film/Console Repaint - Mika_Hakkinen's 996TT cab

Recently a long-time client of our's purchased a very nice, extremely low-mileage, 996 TT Cabriolet. We were fortunate enough to meet up with him a few weeks ago when he called us to purchase some products to care for her.

Once thing led to another, and we decided the smartest thing to do is wrap the whole front end to protect the pristine paint. He also hinted that he wanted to do something more unique, yet tasteful, to the interior. Below is what we came up with. Enjoy!

She arrived at 6:00AM on a Friday and we went straight to work

Bumper carefully disassembled. This is where having an expertise in Porsches comes in handy. About 80% of our business is Porsche. I guess after almost 20 years, you can say we know them pretty well.

Every part, nut, screw, and bolt is properly cataloged and stored. We don't ever have any spare parts when complete

Another aspect of pre-prep, unique to GP, is performing paint correction and paint touch up to anywhere we will be applying clear film. This definitly adds more time and expense to the project, but we feel it's the proper way of enhancing something already amazing

As usual, our custom installs are done using bulk film whenever possible. This requires an advanced level of skill from the installer as all the necessary cuts are done by hand. There is no substitute for experience at this level of art and science

Attached Images                                                     
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Clear Film Install - Part 2

Whenever we have access to areas previously unavailable, we make it a point to clean up as much as possible. Just another OCD feature here at the insane asylum

Once film installation is complete and all parts are reassembled, we apply a nano coating to the film. This further protects the film against the elements

Final check to make sure everything is working

Attached Images                        

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Premium Sponsor
Center Console Paint to Match Exterior Color - Polar Silver Metallic

Previous paint job, not factory, had tremendious orange peel. We had to spend a few hours sanding down the orange peel for proper paint job

New paint. Looks much better. There was a little orange peel from the new paint job. More sanding and leveling to bring out the color and shine

Sanded, polished, and waxed

Final Results

Attached Images                    
Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Mika_Hakkinen is infamous around these parts
Wow what a superb write up Moe! I just want to share with everyone what a great experience it was to have this process done.

Everything turned out better than I expected, based on my expectations from the clear bra I had done on my '05 Carrera, when I came to pick her up, I couldn't even tell the wrap was done!

I'm so relieved to have this protection on my car. One of the things I cannot stand is seeing any blemishes like a rock chip on my car. And for me, having a 911 in my garage represents a lot of blood sweat and tears- it's my little piece of "super car heaven". I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and hopefully pass it on to my son someday. When Moe suggested this, it seemed like a no brainier for me.

As for questions and skeptics about how the film will wear over time, we will see. But I got this done to protect the finish of the vehicle. That is the point of it.

I consider myself pretty ****/paranoid when it comes to my vehicles but I've known Moe for almost a decade now, and there's no one else I'd want doing this sort of job. Not only does he know his craft, more importantly he truly loves what he does. And it shows in the results! Thanks again, Moe