996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Torco Accelerator - the real deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Torco Accelerator - the real deal?

I just filled up with 100 at the local station that carries it and saw a bunch of Torco 5gallon containers of various fuels from 100 to 118 octane in stock - all the ones over 100 were leaded.
I was looking at Torco's site because I wanted to read up on these and see how to get more than 100 with unleaded. They have something called "Torco Accelerator" on their site that has a very specific chart attached showing what various quantities when added to standard 91 octane will result in. Here is a link.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? It seems like it would be a LOT cheaper and more convenient than being limited to a handful of gas stations. If I could get 105 octane from 10 gallons of 91 by adding 64 ounces of this product as they claim I would do it all day long. Even if i only add one can at 32oz it will bring me to 102 which is better than the pump 100 I am paying 7.70/gallon for!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Interesting. Someone should get some and do some logging to see if it offers similar results to filling up with 100.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
It is popular with the supercharged corvette crowd and it does work. It's not quite as good as the claims, but still the gains are significant. There was a ton of debate on the corvette forum until someone sent in a laboratory sample to have the octane checked, and it did work. I used it before and it leaves a yellow powder residue in the exhaust but no one has had a problem as far as I know. I thought it made my car a bit faster as I only had 91 octane available to me, but I did not do any logs.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I would be willing to do some logs with and without. I have k24/18g running at 1.2 bar with stock exhaust (my aftermarket was too loud) running 91 octane. If it works, it should show on my car.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Lucas oil octane booster is claiming a 3+ octane boost per bottle also...

Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mrmaass
Even if i only add one can at 32oz it will bring me to 102 which is better than the pump 100 I am paying 7.70/gallon for!
wow. thats cheap. we pay 9 down here.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
In my experience and tech reads,, most octane boosters don't work unless they are lead based ones.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:17 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
In my experience and tech reads,, most octane boosters don't work unless they are lead based ones.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM
The MMT based boosters do work. The torco and lucasoil versions are the best. The rest are pretty marginal.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
One of my friends has a GT500@832rwhp and swears by the Torco.

I just picked up 64oz and I will try some @ a track day this weekend. I usually have to refill my tank before the 4th run of the day, and all that is local to the track is 93. I have an EBC so it is no problem to run 1.15 in the morning and 1.0 in the afternoon, but it would be nice not to. I don't trailer my car to the track so it is awkward to bring extra fuel.

I will see if I can data log before and after adding.

Tom

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
more info

After making this post yesterday I scoured the Internet and other car forums (evo, Subaru, Vette, Mustang) for more information on this product and the consensus seems to be that the product IS effective at preventing knock and allowing a bit more timing/boost safely. Those who actually tested it on a track or dyno posted real improvements.
They biggest recurring negative seems to be posts like "that stuff is bulls**t...it would have to be a can of 500 octane for such a small amount to increase my whole tank of gas to 105" or some iteration of the same. That isn't what it does. I know Torco posts hard numbers, but I think what it actually does is provide the equivalent knock protection of higher octane gasoline much in the same way that a very small percentage of TEL does while also increasing actual octane numbers.
Those who posted lab testing proved that it did increase the octane a few points but nowhere near the amount that was charted on their web site.
More importantly, there were multiple posts in which brave souls with engines much cheaper than ours actually used their 100 or higher octane ECU files with only pump gas and this product. In every such post the results were positive and the 91-93 pump + this product performed as well as a tank of 100+.
The orange dust on plugs/exhaust is an across the board report but everyone says it is harmless so I am not worried about that.
After all the research I did I definitely think this additive is one of the rare products that actually works and I'm going to start adding it to my tanks of 100 in small concentrations.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
If math serves me right...

1 Quart of Torco Unleaded Accelerator - that's 32 oz. - $20.95

Considering a gallon of 100 octane unleaded is $7.50 here, that means I could get 3 gallons for the same price.

14 gallons total would give me a 91/100 mix of 92.93 octane using exactly 11 of 91 and 3 of 100.

Assuming that 91/100 mix, each 1.6oz of torco will boost me 4 octane per gallon (as the chart states)

gallons/torco to achieve 95 with a base fuel of 91

10-16
11-17.6
12-19.2
13-20.8
14-22.4
15-24

This equates to $1.04 per gallon to increase to 95 octane.

If I filled up with 13 gallons of gas, I'd use 20.8 ounces of torco, which equates to $13.52 per tank.

To achieve the same level of 100 octane at a rate of $7.50 a gallon, I would need to spend.....

7 gallons of 91 and 6 gallons of $100. This is $45.

TLR

To achieve a 95 octane rating on 91 pump

Going from 91 to 95 with 13 gallons of fuel costs $13.52 in addition to 91 using Torco.
Going from 91 to 95 with 7 gallons of fuel and 6 gallons of 100 ocane costs $45 in addition to 91.

$1.04 per gallon for 91 to 95 on torco on a full tank
$3.56 per gallon for 91 to 95 on 100 octane on a full tank

Last edited by dhahlen; 07-31-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
The MMT will leave some nice orange dust on your spark plugs, cats and tail pipes. Using it infrequently wouldn't cause harm, but living on the stuff will likely clog catalytic converters over time.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
From looking at the MSDS sheet of the product, the majority of the product is isoalkane 7-8 which translate to heptane and octane with an napthalene solvent and naptha (common to moth *****) to keep it from evaporating too fast.
It is sound since octane rating in gasoline is directly dependent on the concentration of isoalkane 7-8 in the final mixture, adding pure isoalkane 7-8 into the mix in the right concentration will increase your octane rating. Just like mixing round up to kill your weeds

Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rxbike
From looking at the MSDS sheet of the product, the majority of the product is isoalkane 7-8 which translate to heptane and octane with an napthalene solvent and naptha (common to moth *****) to keep it from evaporating too fast.
It is sound since octane rating in gasoline is directly dependent on the concentration of isoalkane 7-8 in the final mixture, adding pure isoalkane 7-8 into the mix in the right concentration will increase your octane rating. Just like mixing round up to kill your weeds
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...earch-lol.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Torco Accelerator - the real deal?