996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MoTeC option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:58 AM
EXPLICIT is infamous around these parts
MoTeC option

I've got a stock '03 996TT. Here in Perth, modification options for the 996TT are very minimal and limited to chip upgrades or ecu flash upgrades from overseas. Im not one to use an off the shelf application on a car of this calibre. I've had alot of success with the M800 in my wrx race car, girlfriends GT Forester as well as other vehicles. I was hoping for some feedback on Motec in the 996TT and if it has been used before? My main goal was obviously to release some extra hp without pushing the limits of driveability and more importantly reliability. From the limited knowledge i have to date, it seems up to 1bar is the limit of the std turbo's, in conjunction with a high flow exhaust system (as appropriate tuning) around 500hp at the crank is achieveable.

My thinking would be to wire in an adaptor to the factory ecu to solely control engine management directly and leave the factory ecu to run the car as per normal.

Any recommendations, alternatives etc would be great.

thanks in advance

Jme

Old 08-11-2005, 12:43 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Great little units, however I think Cary is the only one to use it on the 996TT.

Personally, I think it is too much for what you are trying to do. You'd be better off doing one of the packages from the board sponsors and getting it mailed to you.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
did u get the motec exhaust?

Old 08-11-2005, 02:01 PM
MikeM is infamous around these parts
I think this could be interesting. Coincidentally, I also have a 996TT, a WRX (STi) and an M800. The M800 is destined for the WRX, but it could easily do dual duty with the TT as well. If we can source the proper connectors for the ECU, it shouldn't be too difficult to make an adapter harness.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
Great little units, however I think Cary is the only one to use it on the 996TT.

Personally, I think it is too much for what you are trying to do. You'd be better off doing one of the packages from the board sponsors and getting it mailed to you.
What sort of products we talking about here? Anything that stands out with a proven track record? Im concerned with the climate difference in Perth may not suit a northern hemisphere based map/chip/flash.

Im open to ALL proven alternatives, and pretty much DIY.

thanks again

Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MikeM
I think this could be interesting. Coincidentally, I also have a 996TT, a WRX (STi) and an M800. The M800 is destined for the WRX, but it could easily do dual duty with the TT as well. If we can source the proper connectors for the ECU, it shouldn't be too difficult to make an adapter harness.
Thats the option i was entertaining as i have an extremely competent tuner here who's a whizz with the MoTeC. All i need is to find a wiring diagram. Only problem i find would be managing the vario-cam system on the motec. M800 has no issues with variable valve timing, but even that is a preset constant vs vario-cam which as the name suggests is continually adjusting itself to a pretermined load/driving style. Decisions decisions

Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by 02barebones996
did u get the motec exhaust?
No but i did get the danger to manifold option enabled!

Old 08-11-2005, 09:01 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by EXPLICIT
What sort of products we talking about here? Anything that stands out with a proven track record? Im concerned with the climate difference in Perth may not suit a northern hemisphere based map/chip/flash.

Im open to ALL proven alternatives, and pretty much DIY.

thanks again
Have you tried contacting them? Computers these days can probably compensate for all of that. Try talking to one of the board sponsors like Imagine Auto

Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
don't get me wrong.... but after spending over 80k in mods... I would rather go with something proven for the TT. u might open a can of worms and be out of a car for a season.
Im running autronik ecu on my evo 8.. its awesome.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-12-2005, 01:33 AM
mpwrmodena is infamous around these parts
Motec systems are excellent upgrades, but would not be cost affective in this application. With the VVT and drive by wire tech it would be difficult to wire a harness just to start with. And you wouldnt need a m800 you can use a m600. In the end your looking at 30k+ project. For that money you can send your car to RUf for a top package.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:12 AM
30K??? for a motec upgrade.....thats robbery. Easily have it fitted and tuned for around 5k down here which seems to be the asking price for a chip/flash ecu exchange thus im looking at all the alternatives with proven outcomes. Thanks again for your input.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:39 AM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
The 750hp Gemballa that was developed in 2001 or 2002 runs a Motec. Originally, with my old 996TT, that was what we tried to do- I had a tuner that tuned a Subi that took 3rd at Pikes Peak.

We spoke to Motec, analyzed again and again the wiring diagrams for the 996TT and figured that, since Gemballa was very unlikely to give us any tips, between the M800, wiring, tuning and time with Motec personnel we were looking at 20-30K just for getting it up and running.

BTW, unless something has changed in the past couple of years, going to a Motec takes away ABS and PSM.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:28 AM
mpwrmodena is infamous around these parts
^ to my australian friend, motec systems are heavly marked up by motec usa. THe system alone without a harness and all features is 5k.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Hmmm very costly indeed. I was more inclined to keep purely engine management parameters taken care of by the motec and retain the factory ecu for everything else. Course its all speculation at this point.

Seems to be alot of discussion regarding the Giac flash... thanks for your help fella's, any info is good info.

Jme

Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
MikeM is infamous around these parts
Rather than go full standalone, I think running the MoTeC as a piggyback with the stock ECU is a more practical solution. You wouldn't need to worry about DBW, VarioCam, wiring the tach, etc.

From what I can tell, Unichip has had a piggyback available for the 996TT for quite some time. This isn't venturing that far into uncharted territory.

Just need to build an adapter harness so that you can tap the sensor inputs and control boost, injectors and ignition.

Now, you'd need to have a reason for wanting to go this way, versus an ECU flash solution (custom setup, data aquisition). One significant disadvantage would be the lack of sophisticated knock correction.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MoTeC option