996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tell me more about the RUF 550 hp kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Chad, you've been doing a lot of development work and have garnered much experience with 996TT internals. What is your take on Ruf motor internals versus what other current tuners are doing? There's no magic, so what's the method and materials comparison between the top dogs?

Old 08-15-2005, 03:32 PM
ashoof is infamous around these parts
one thing i noticed in ruf setup they have a some kind of a air flow sence right next to the intake housing of the turbo that i never saw this on any other tuners .
by the way i hit 340 km/h on the ruf in 6 gear all the time regardless of how hot is the wether i am only lemited by the rev limiter hehe ruf offerd me a 6 gear ratio but i dont want to go any faster and oh me and i never herd some one have a ruf setup had a cel or check engine light

Old 08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Super D
Chad, you've been doing a lot of development work and have garnered much experience with 996TT internals. What is your take on Ruf motor internals versus what other current tuners are doing? There's no magic, so what's the method and materials comparison between the top dogs?
Boy .................. that is a loaded question.

The US tuners (for the most part) took the path of advancing the timing and raising the boost. The US tuners are pushing 1.3 to 1.8 bar while the European tuners tend to stay below 1.3 bar. The US tuners followed by beefed up steel rods, shuffle pinning the case and adding a GT3 dual index oil pump for the most part. A few have continued with very mild port/polish work.

Many European tuners tend to use titaninium steel rods, shuffle pinning the case, GT3 oil pump, enlarging the stock valve size in conjunction with porting/polishing and using the GT3 exhaust cam.
Some have utilized larger valves in the stock turbo heads so as to avoid the costs of everything associated with the GT3 heads.

Both side of the Atlantic now use enlarged intakes, however for the longest time that is why the Ruf motors had better torque numbers.

Now for what is new and cutting edge. This starts to get real expensive. Coating the proper parts is good for and "free" additional 5% hp and torque. Adding a GT3 crank is not only stronger but will be the start of entering the GT3 Turbo world (8100 to 8500 rpm's). Doing this mod opens a whole new can of worms (different dimension rods and pistons in conjunction with heads and valves). The cam housings are different (GT3) which also accomodate the larger cams for both intakes and exhausts. To be on the safe side the valves should also be changed to a material more compatible with the higher combustion temperatures.

There is also additional tricks like the triple index GT1 oil pump, lightening the crank by knife edging, reducing the diameter of the rod journals to further extend the rpm range. Using oval bearings will also help extend this range. We also prototyped a set of steel/plasma coated liners to withstand the higher cylinder pressures.

Going to the wildier cams require pistons that will clear the valves along with springs that will handle the ibcreased pressures. The GT3 Cup or R heads come with larger valves and are already cnc'ed. A little massaging of the areas exiting the valves is about all that is required save the coatings.

Needless to say a very good balance of all the components is a must not to be overlooked or short changed. Close isn't good enough.

There are other items we did to KA like springs, retainers and lifters and intake from the TB to the heads however these were special prototype parts.

I know I am forgetting something. For one, don't forget about head and case studs to cope with all this added rpm's, torque and hp.

Last edited by cjv; 08-17-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:39 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Thanks Chad. I appreciate you answering my loaded question.

That's worth a beer. I'll be in Monterey next wknd, already buying FasteddieTT a beer, so might as well make it a round! If you're going to be there, shoot me a PM

Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Super D
Thanks Chad. I appreciate you answering my loaded question.

That's worth a beer. I'll be in Monterey next wknd, already buying FasteddieTT a beer, so might as well make it a round! If you're going to be there, shoot me a PM
I use to go to the Consorso Italiano until I realized how their pricing structure stuck it to the non Italian enthusists. It just went against my grain to continue to support the event. I may be going down to my home in Carmel. I'll decide by Wednesday and give you a call.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:10 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Originally posted by cjv
I use to go to the Consorso Italiano until I realized how their pricing structure stuck it to the non Italian enthusists. It just went against my grain to continue to support the event. I may be going down to my home in Carmel. I'll decide by Wednesday and give you a call.
I'll shoot you a PM w/my cell number. We'll be at Laguna Seca on Sat and Sun watching the races, so even if you don't go to Concorso, try to get out to the track. That's the best part of the wknd anyway I think.

I'm only going to Concorso because I've never been...gotta try it once.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:48 AM
Sean is infamous around these parts
As Buddy ntoed I have the 550 R kit which was installed in Pfaffenhausen. I am extremely satisfied w/ it and plan to do the same if I end up purchasing the 997TT. Only problem I've encountered is blown hose twice which I plan to rectify w/ the Evo kit.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:57 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
What turbos does the 550 use?

Old 08-17-2005, 09:47 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Modified KKK 24 turbo

Old 08-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
AdamT,

Do you know how it has been modded? I hear it "behaves" more like a K16 with quicker spool-up vs. a K24, but with the K24's high-end pull. Any details on this?

Al Pettee
2005 996TSCab

Old 08-17-2005, 11:18 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by cjv
chad, dont be so elusive... come hang out saturday. geez, im still reeling from my lashing by KA 2 years ago in castroville <area> Im ready for a re-match with my new gt2..... since your sled is on stilts I guess at least a face to face would be in order

Old 08-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Al Pettee
AdamT,

Do you know how it has been modded? I hear it "behaves" more like a K16 with quicker spool-up vs. a K24, but with the K24's high-end pull. Any details on this?

Al Pettee
2005 996TSCab
Yep the internals are modified, on the outside it looks like a kkk24 but inside it is different.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by collin996tt
I ran our PSI 550 car yesterday. All I can say is DAMN. Pickup is instantaneous. The boost builds sooo fast it spins the wheels inside the tires every time even in 4th.

I'd love to compare our PSI 550 car with a Ruf 550 car to feel the difference.

Oh yeah, the PSI 550 package cost a lot less than the Ruf. I expect it to be just as reliable with all the R&D PSI has done and their experience on the racing circuit.
Ill be racing a PSI 996 turbo with "550" bhp on saturday over 1.5miles.

should be fun

Old 08-18-2005, 07:32 AM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by AdamT

should be fun
The world awaits.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by AdamT

should be fun
I think you will be suprised

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tell me more about the RUF 550 hp kit