996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tell me more about the RUF 550 hp kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Jean
Bahrain

A couple of points, you are not comparing apples to apples. GT900 vs. RUF 550?

The second thing is that you should mention that you are an EVOMS dealer just for transparency.

Third, take three laps around the track and time both cars and we will see if the GT900 still beats the RUF on the third lap, it will be so heat soaked that it will drop to less than 550 hp.

One always has to keep in mind these things while comparing. The PSI vs. RUF on the other hand is a fair comparison.

Edited: Removed OT comments
I ran my Stage 5 at Grattan raceway for 3 days multiple sessions per day and had no issue with heat soak or loss of power. In fact I set fastest time of the day on Sunday during the time trials.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Buddy,

Was that done on a GT900? If so, it is admirable.
Concerning my post, Bahrain is not exactly like other places. It is hotter than Saudi Arabia. There is no way that a 1.6 Bar boosting Porsche can take 3 racing laps without heat soaking or braking the engine. You might think HP is not dropping, but you will be loosing those 200 hp after 3 runs.

In any case I will be more than happy to bring real life experience to this debate by running against this GT900 specifically in Bahrain in November. RS Tuning and Alzen (Bosch) are not that ignorant, there is a reason they turned down that boost to 1 Bar approx. on the 700HP "only" 'Ring record braking 996. That car has every possible cooling engineering and harware ever known or used on a Porsche, including the $15k Secan intercoolers.

These debates don't lead anywhere usually, but maybe one should just give it a thought.

I hope your car is running well.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:00 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
No,

Not a GT900 my car is but a measley Stage 5 Mongrel running 635 rwhp. The facts remain no issues with heat soak and losing hp after running all day for 3 days on the track.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Buddy,

Was that done on a GT900? If so, it is admirable.
Concerning my post, Bahrain is not exactly like other places. It is hotter than Saudi Arabia. There is no way that a 1.6 Bar boosting Porsche can take 3 racing laps without heat soaking or braking the engine. You might think HP is not dropping, but you will be loosing those 200 hp after 3 runs.

In any case I will be more than happy to bring real life experience to this debate by running against this GT900 specifically in Bahrain in November. RS Tuning and Alzen (Bosch) are not that ignorant, there is a reason they turned down that boost to 1 Bar approx. on the 700HP "only" 'Ring record braking 996. That car has every possible cooling engineering and harware ever known or used on a Porsche, including the $15k Secan intercoolers.

These debates don't lead anywhere usually, but maybe one should just give it a thought.

I hope your car is running well.
Jean,

You can take alot of heat out of the motor by coating the combustion chambers and exhaust ports.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Considering how well the Alzen car performed in the 24H Nurburgring including setting the fastest qualifying lap, I agree with Jean wholeheartedly.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:50 PM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm. . .guy posts question on a product from Tuner X, and Tuner Y has to interject on how remarkable HIS product is, thread degenerates into a pissing contest.

Is the tuner market so competitive that one board sponsor has to jump on every thread regarding the products of another?

I once gave kudos to EVOMS/IA and Ruf and stated that if I did any tuning I'd use one of these tuners, and within a few hours I got a PM from a competing tuner on what a great deal he could give me on his products. IMHO this jumping on coattails is counterproductive to building a business and solid reputation.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by cjv
Jean,

You can take alot of heat out of the motor by coating the combustion chambers and exhaust ports.
CJV I would guess that the guys who built the Alzen know a thing or two about heat transfer and thermodynamics and they must have thought about this? After all this has been used for over 20 years now.

BuddyG, good for you, you seem to have a very well built engine, however the discussion you quoted me on, was clearly referring to the GT900 engine mentioned by Bahrain996TT. Believe me, I do not like to see anyone with a blown engine, I don't think (or hope) anyone does, so we are on the same side here, at least as far as i am concerned.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
There are always compromises with making big power and reliability is one of them. Nobody can honestly say that a 900hp engine will be reliable at the track for any decent amount of time. All its good for is freeway runs and other drag racing. Maybe the guys from PSI will chime in here....

Old 08-24-2005, 05:40 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
CJV I would guess that the guys who built the Alzen know a thing or two about heat transfer and thermodynamics and they must have thought about this? After all this has been used for over 20 years now.

Jean,

Coatings are not a magic bullet, however they do help alot. Coatings have gone through four major evolutions over the time frame you mentioned. One major reason most people don't use it is the added cost. Here are some of the wins for HPC coatings.

14 - Indy 500 winners
14 - Daytona 500 winners
4 - NASCAR Winston Cup Championships
10 - CART Championships
2 - IRL Championships
5 - 24 Hours of LeMans wins
9 - 24 Hours of Daytona wins
18 - NHRA Top Fuel Championships
5 - NHRA Top Fuel Funny Car Championships
13 - NHRA Pro Stock Championships
15 - NHRA Pro Stock Bike Championships
World's fastest wheel driven land speed record vehicle
World's fastest piston driven land speed record vehicle
World's fastest small block powered land speed record vehicle
World's fastest Unlimited Air Racer
First 4-second NHRA Top Fuel Dragster
First 300 MPH NHRA Top Fuel Funnycar
First 200 MPH NHRA Pro Stock Car
First 6-second NHRA Pro Stock Car
First 6-second NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle

Last edited by cjv; 08-24-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 PM

BuddyG, good for you, you seem to have a very well built engine, however the discussion you quoted me on, was clearly referring to the GT900 engine mentioned by Bahrain996TT. Believe me, I do not like to see anyone with a blown engine, I don't think (or hope) anyone does, so we are on the same side here, at least as far as i am concerned.
Jean

Yes we are on the same side and you are correct the conversation was regarding the GT900. I sometimes have my car lumped in with the GT whatever's so I kinda jumped in.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
Chad,
What is the expected engine life of KA ?

Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Neil
Chad,
What is the expected engine life of KA ?
Neil,

Anywhere from thirty hours on up. KA's motor would be 100-150K in most shops. She is built with the best of the best. Designed to be taken to the outerlimits and live. Boost her to 35/40 pounds and rev her 9000/9500 rpm's in her top mode and you would be looking at thirty hours. Play with her at 1.2 bar and keep the rpm's to 7800/8000 and she would give you any easy 100,000 miles.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by AdamT
Ill be racing a PSI 996 turbo with "550" bhp on saturday over 1.5miles.

should be fun
Adam, did this ever take place? Care to update us please.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
What devil is evil enough to pilot this KA you speak of?

Old 09-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the feedback. Someone I know is doing the 550 hp this week...the engineer is working on it right now

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tell me more about the RUF 550 hp kit