996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ProEfi, E85 996TT hit's the 4's!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTurbRon
Awesome car bro! Your beast is schweet!
Thank you bro!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raineycd
Nice job Randy! Car looks like it is coming together nicely! Others are just jealous!
Thank you my man!

It's been a journey and it's given me a lot of respect for peeps like

TIMNYC. Tim went with a tabula rosa MoTec! He created a system

from scratch! Watching Errol set this tune up was a humbling experience.

The application will get easier as the tuning guys get the feel for these

cars. This stuff is old hat on Supras and GTRs now.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by layinback
Scott, you are smarter than me ( although Stephen Hawking copied off my
test)

You make more money than me. ( although I think you work for the gubment
and I'm in the free market)

You are taller than me ( although I'm 6'4 and you are an ex SEAL )

You are better endowed than me ( although I'm a moderator on
16inches online.com)

If you have a wife and Kid, doubtful, but if you do, your wife is prettier
and your kids are smarter.

Your cars will always be faster than mine even if they're full weight and
stock dme.

You are more witty than me. ( regardless of the numerous dull witted post
on go fast boards, peppered across the internet)
Awww shucks...I'm blushing. But really, I'm just a regular guy that's had some moderately fast cars.

I choose good builders/tuners and let them do their magic. I'm only messing with you right now because I infer from your posts that you feel your setup is somehow better than everyone else's because you ran in the 4's with only 800hp instead of 1,000. I'm just letting you know that both Protomotive and Switzer were doing that back in '07 in heavier cars (Switzer actually went 4.2 at 850 whp). So while your setup is certainly good, it's not magical.

I will admit that my wife and daughter are both pretty awesome, though. Definitely much better than I am.

Congrats again!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Awww shucks...I'm blushing. But really, I'm just a regular guy that's had some moderately fast cars.

I choose good builders/tuners and let them do their magic. I'm only messing with you right now because I infer from your posts that you feel your setup is somehow better than everyone else's because you ran in the 4's with only 800hp instead of 1,000. I'm just letting you know that both Protomotive and Switzer were doing that back in '07 in heavier cars (Switzer actually went 4.2 at 850 whp). So while your setup is certainly good, it's not magical.

I will admit that my wife and daughter are both pretty awesome, though. Definitely much better than I am.

Congrats again!
I don't think it's better than anybody's. I'm not out to break any records.

It is worth noting that it didn't take 1000 wheel horsepower to achieve the

goal. And it's pretty cool that it has a full interior and jamin aftermarket

stereo while weighing a shade over 3000 lbs. This build is not confined to

interstate pulls or 1/4 time slips. Not that there's anything wrong with that

but it wasn't my end all be all.

I am a sales marketing guy. Switzer and Protomotive are adept at marketing.

They understand that 1/4 mile times and one mile events numbers sell. It should

never be conflated with being the overall best. I am a marketer. You are a consumer.

I will never come along and tell you how to dive.

There are several cars on this site that will kill my car. I have listened and studied

for a little while now. I designed a build for overall performance and I'm pretty damned

excited that it worked out!

Scott, I'm typically a very busy guy. I have 4 boys and a fair sized company to run.

This is a hobby for me. I am a member of one chat board. I don't have the time or the

desire to put as much into it as you do. I'm just trying to build a super fast, by most standards,

Porsche, that I can drive everyday and take to the road course on the weekends. I enjoy the

company of most of the guys here and all I want to do is have fun and de stress.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Doug118 is infamous around these parts
Stock gear at 7400 rpm's!

Check this video......I do a 4th gear pull and I literally disappear, from the

perspective of the group of cars I'm cruising with!

http://www.yobe.com/watch?v=ErSI1l5OA4Y

I've always wondered what went on in people's heads when another car accelerates away like that. Traction control is one of the greatest tuning options out there, aside from flex fuel

Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Doug118
I've always wondered what went on in people's heads when another car accelerates away like that. Traction control is one of the greatest tuning options out there, aside from flex fuel
The acceleration accompanied by the deafening shriek of these turbos
at WOT is probably an attention getter.

Flex fuel, traction control and rolling anti-lag = Amazing.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:07 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Thanks Nick!
Your welcome! Have a rep point!

Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Nick, how much power are the 66mm VTGs good for? What do those puppies flow?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Champion ran a 9.8 @ 135mph on stock VTGs!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Nick, how much power are the 66mm VTGs good for? What do those puppies flow?
Im assuming they are good for 700 to 800 at the crank on a 3.8ltr but FVD told me they will do well over a 1000nm or torque.

FVD Brombacher 997.1 TT “700 Series” Upgraded Turbos

Facts:
- CNC re-profiled compressor housing and backing plate
- New, lightened and larger compressor wheel (12 blades)
- Reworked turbine wheel, lightened and optimized for higher flow and reduced backpressure.
- All new bearings.
- All new piston rings and seals.
- All parts cleaned, inspected and measured to motorsport specifications.
- All parts are balanced (static & dynamic) up to 120.000 rpm with balancing protocol.
- 47.55 mm inducer
- 66 mm exducer
- Flow rate = 37 lbs. / minute or 280g/s
- Remanufactured by Borg Warner certified technicians
- Shaft tolerances are strictly maintained to ensure durability
- Free software update for those already running FVD Software

We start by re-profiling the OEM VTG turbocharger compressor housing and modifying the compressor backing plate. This is done to replace the factory compressor wheel with a larger 12 blade, modified compressor wheel. The larger wheel is also lightened allows the turbo to flow a larger volume of air (more power), and aids in quicker spool up.

In addition we increased the size of the inducer and exducer to compensate for the higher volume of air traveling through the compressor. We increase the exducer on the turbine side to 66mm (OEM is 60 mm) and the inducer to 47.55 (46.9 mm).

Borg Warner certified technicians remanufacture our turbos. These are brand new Borg Warner 997.1 VTG chargers that are modified. This ensures reliability, superior performance and cost effectiveness. They ensure that each individual part is within the specified Borg Warner tolerance.

Combined with our proprietary software, exhaust, BMC drop in filter, and other engine components you can achieve 750+ crank hp.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Im assuming they are good for 700 to 800 at the crank on a 3.8ltr but FVD told me they will do well over a 1000nm or torque.

FVD Brombacher 997.1 TT “700 Series” Upgraded Turbos

Facts:
- CNC re-profiled compressor housing and backing plate
- New, lightened and larger compressor wheel (12 blades)
- Reworked turbine wheel, lightened and optimized for higher flow and reduced backpressure.
- All new bearings.
- All new piston rings and seals.
- All parts cleaned, inspected and measured to motorsport specifications.
- All parts are balanced (static & dynamic) up to 120.000 rpm with balancing protocol.
- 47.55 mm inducer
- 66 mm exducer
- Flow rate = 37 lbs. / minute or 280g/s
- Remanufactured by Borg Warner certified technicians
- Shaft tolerances are strictly maintained to ensure durability
- Free software update for those already running FVD Software

We start by re-profiling the OEM VTG turbocharger compressor housing and modifying the compressor backing plate. This is done to replace the factory compressor wheel with a larger 12 blade, modified compressor wheel. The larger wheel is also lightened allows the turbo to flow a larger volume of air (more power), and aids in quicker spool up.

In addition we increased the size of the inducer and exducer to compensate for the higher volume of air traveling through the compressor. We increase the exducer on the turbine side to 66mm (OEM is 60 mm) and the inducer to 47.55 (46.9 mm).

Borg Warner certified technicians remanufacture our turbos. These are brand new Borg Warner 997.1 VTG chargers that are modified. This ensures reliability, superior performance and cost effectiveness. They ensure that each individual part is within the specified Borg Warner tolerance.

Combined with our proprietary software, exhaust, BMC drop in filter, and other engine components you can achieve 750+ crank hp.
FVD is no joke. Mr. Brombacher has several 1000+ hp cars running around
Germany. Most professional and knowledgable aftermarket for P cars in my
opinion. A breath of fresh air in a world dominated by slick marketers who
run big numbers and charge insane amounts of money and disorganized
unprofessionals.

I had no idea those turbos were that badass! Borg Warner has been oem
on Porsche since 1975. If I decide to do the Texas mile, we're gonna have
Borg Warner to build us a custom job.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:56 AM
FVD is no joke. Mr. Brombacher has several 1000+ hp cars running around
Germany. Most professional and knowledgable aftermarket for P cars in my
opinion. A breath of fresh air in a world dominated by slick marketers who
run big numbers and charge insane amounts of money and disorganized
unprofessionals.

I had no idea those turbos were that badass! Borg Warner has been oem
on Porsche since 1975. If I decide to do the Texas mile, we're gonna have
Borg Warner to build us a custom job.

I have to agree with in regards to the slick marketeers that take advantage of the people with lack of knowledge or the ability to study the forums hard!

I also agree with your comments about FVD!

I have spent a lot of my hard earned with them but I never regret it!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:52 PM
When you install an aftermarket ems, whether it be ProEfi or comparable setup,

it reveal all the blemishes of the stock ecu. In other words, the ecu has built in

tolerances for variations of certain electrical and mechanical features. The proEfi

is more "exacting." The sum of which requires that you have to replace certain

components and you have to adjust others. This expense doesn't qualify for the

category of "tuning" per se, but it is an expense nonetheless.

Strictly speaking, the tuning can be accomplished in about 20 hours. There will

probably be some back and forth logging and tweaking for a week or 2 after the

initial tune. You have get the car on the road and put some real world miles on

the clock in order to iron out some of the rough edges.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:26 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
BTW, dhalen doen't even own a Porsche. He has a VW Golf with some kind of

Chinese turbo system that Vivid sells.
Too Funny

Old 09-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by mcoupe mus
Randy is right about the aftermarket ECU's being very exact. They are a big improvement over stock IMO

I haven't direct experience with pro-EFI but on the syvecs it took 3-4 hours max to do my tune from scratch with all my modifications.
Driveability was perfect straight away, and I have had zero issues with normal or on boost driving with it.

The syvecs is known to be excellent for daily driven cars though across all Marques.

It actually drove and idled better than the previous flash on the stock ECU.

I had mine mapped by Ryan.G who is a director of Syvecs, so he knew the ECU better than any other. This may have helped with the super quick tune time and perfect drivability.

He didnt have to tweak anything at all until my fuel system changed.
You are very fortunate and Syvecs is a great system by all accounts!
There were some mechanical issues on my car when we began tuning
so to be fair with ProEfi, it impeded the initial tune.

ProEfi has just recently made its way into the Porsche community but
it looks like they're getting it figured out.

Do you have the e85 tune?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ProEfi, E85 996TT hit's the 4's!!!