996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Differences between Ruf Rturbo and Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM
antagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Differences between Ruf Rturbo and Conversion

I was wondering if anyone knew the top speed / gearing differences between a true Ruf-vinned Rturbo and a 911 Turbo which has been converted to an Rturbo? The Ruf version is said to have a top speed north of 210 (I read the 590 HP version could do north of 220) but I am wondering if this is because Ruf changed the gear ratios relative to the "stock" 911TT?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by antagron
I was wondering if anyone knew the top speed / gearing differences between a true Ruf-vinned Rturbo and a 911 Turbo which has been converted to an Rturbo? The Ruf version is said to have a top speed north of 210 (I read the 590 HP version could do north of 220) but I am wondering if this is because Ruf changed the gear ratios relative to the "stock" 911TT?
The Rturbo could be optioned with a taller 6th gear from RUF giving it a top speed over 225mph on stock 315/25/19 tires. I have the stock 6th in my car and at 7200rpm top speed is 211mph. I've since switched to taller 305/30/19 for the street and 305/35/18 rears for the track and that gives you a redline limited top speed of 217mph. Hope that helps..

Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM
antagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant future
That's very informative! Thank you? Isn't the redline at 6500

Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
wow. thats impressive. redline can be 72k if it's been raised in concert with a tune. i know i'll never see my 7200 redline in sixth sad to say.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
That's very informative! Thank you? Isn't the redline at 6500
Stock redline is 6750, Rturbo redline is 7200.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 PM
How about for the converted version?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 PM
How about for the converted version?
Same applies... I doubt any cars in the US have the tall 6th since for obvious reasons its quite useless stateside and pricey..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-16-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
How high have you taken her? Past 200?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 PM
How high have you taken her? Past 200?
No more than 10 miles over the speed limit.... Kidding aside, I don't drive it aggressively at all on the street where you can't even come close to pushing the car's limits without endangering yourself or others. At our track I've had it just shy of 150 as that is all the straight would allow. Here is a clip of the car at the track:

The dot in the bulls eye are G loadings. Green is 0-0.8 G, yellow is 0.8-1.0 G, and red is greater than 1 G. Speed is self explanatory..

Here is a video of one over 200...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-16-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 PM
So to a good degree the top speed is theoretical. How did you calculate the 217? What If you had 315/30/18s on the rear? Did you ever dyno the car?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 PM
So to a good degree the top speed is theoretical. How did you calculate the 217? What If you had 315/30/18s on the rear? Did you ever dyno the car?
According to RUF top speed is redline limited. There are plenty of videos on Youtube of the car in excess of 200 so I have no reason to doubt their claims. Most of the Rturbos were built as AWD which will sap more power than a RWD version. You can calculate the numbers via charts/graphs/programs. A 315/30/18 gives you 211. I've never dynoed as I have never really been concerned with power but more so with what will make the car go faster around a circuit. I don't think most dyno numbers tell you much anyway since the numbers vary wildly from dyno to dyno. I've run with both a 2011 ZR1 and the 2012 McLaren MP4 and we were dead even at the end of the long straight at the track which takes us to the upper 140s. Beyond that speed I dont know how the cars would stack up. I think both of those cars are around 600 hp. That's all I have for straight line performance comparison. What I do know is that the ZR1 would consistently overheat after about 10 minutes of flat out driving.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-16-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM
So in your opinion, the Rturbo holds its own against some of these modern powerhouse cars? It's interesting to compare tuned versions of older supercars to (assuming) stock current supercars.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Darth GF is infamous around these parts
So in your opinion, the Rturbo holds its own against some of these modern powerhouse cars? It's interesting to compare tuned versions of older supercars to (assuming) stock current supercars.
Performance wise, the regular 996tt can compete with the newer cars quite easily. The 996tt X50 stock has 450hp/450lbft and does the 1/4 in 11.9sec. That's roughly the numbers for the new C7 corvette. The RufR will have no problems at all competing against those.

But then, you can reflash it for 500++hp and 550ftlbs. That should be enough to keep up with most modern sports car. And if that is not enough, there are plenty of kits to crank the power (way) over 600hp. That would be enough to pretty much be king of the hill almost anywhere.

I think any 996tt can easily compete with current supercars with just a few simple mods. The RufR is already "modified" so it still is a beast.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I guess it holds its own. I 'd put it at above average but certainly no powerhouse. I don't think you'd be winning any drags strip or HP wars. There are many cars on here with much greater power. RUF builds nice cars with good power, excellent driveability, and factory reliability and durability. They are street cars and certainly there is always room for improvement. I've been flogging mine at the track at +5000' elevation in +100F heat for several years without a stumble (knock on wood). And thats the beauty of it. No chattery clutch, no peaky power band, no crazy drony exhaust, no special altitude or octane specific tune....just fuel it up and go.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-17-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
I think that's a great way to look at it. Everyone says Ruf really modifies the car in a way that seems OEM in terms of integration, reliability and finish, but with significant performance gains. Obviously it's not going to compete with a 1500HP AMS GT-R, but I don't think that's the point..

Speaking of clutches, the Rturbo has a Ruf clutch no? Have you ever had to replace it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Differences between Ruf Rturbo and Conversion