996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rods- 5k Labor??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
Rods- 5k Labor??

So I was talking to a shop and for the labor to put in Rods he quoted 5k.

Is that about right?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Engine R&R is half of the labor

Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM
zblake is infamous around these partszblake is infamous around these parts
You looking to replace rods already? Aren't you like 5 days into ownership?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zblake
You looking to replace rods already? Aren't you like 5 days into ownership?

I have a an addiction to modifications............I get the car delivered next week. I don't even have the car yet LOL......

Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
If your going to just replace rods dont bother unless one is bent but if your doing a build go do the ARP studs, GT3 cams, valves and retainers, weld your coolant hoses, pistons, rods, injectors.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
are you handy with a wrench? you have a fantastic engine builder in your back yard. he can get you all the power you desire

Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM
I was just seeing if that price was even right. Yes I would do more than just rods if I go that route. I was just wondering. I have started with a few guys from the area, I'm sure I will go that route, just want to save up some funds so I can do it all at once. FYI the coolant hoses are already welded on. My car isn't stock btw. Maybe I should list mods in my signature??

Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
$5000 to pull engine, disassemble, put it back together, and get motor in is not bad at all. Of course the rods will cost you $1750 or so.

As stated you would want to do a handful of things while in there. The problem is where to stop!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
rods run 1300 to 1800 depending on the brand
headbolts run 695 to 750 depending on the brand
full rebuild kit ie: gaskets , bearings(rod, journal, main etc), head gaskets, orings, run approx 1700$
figure approx 1000$ for incidental materials ie: coolant hoses, silicone tubing for vacuum lines, fuel lines anything else that needs replacement after 10 yrs of heat and use

approx 5k$ worth of parts inc the 5k$ to do the labor. im going thru this as we speak. its been 3 weeks just getting the initial build list nailed down. take your time do the research and do this once correctly the first time. you have tim941nyc in your backyard. the single biggest asset you could ever have to do this. make use of this!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
rods run 1300 to 1800 depending on the brand
headbolts run 695 to 750 depending on the brand
full rebuild kit ie: gaskets , bearings(rod, journal, main etc), head gaskets, orings, run approx 1700$
figure approx 1000$ for incidental materials ie: coolant hoses, silicone tubing for vacuum lines, fuel lines anything else that needs replacement after 10 yrs of heat and use

approx 5k$ worth of parts inc the 5k$ to do the labor. im going thru this as we speak. its been 3 weeks just getting the initial build list nailed down. take your time do the research and do this once correctly the first time. you have tim941nyc in your backyard. the single biggest asset you could ever have to do this. make use of this!

I have actually been texting Tim since last week, no idea he had crazy skills. I just kind of found out today. I am truly blessed to have made that connection already.

The whole reason for this thread is to pre plan. I just wanted to see what quotes were. If I was going to do these upgrades I would want to do alot and that means bigger turbos in addition. lol

Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Banned
just remember that its easy to get carried away with these engine builds. (ask layinback!! ) this is still a 10 + yr old car and before you know it you can have 40k$ invested in a build that is on a car worth 40k$. try getting that out of it during a resale!

from the looks of your sig you have a great built car already. maybe just drive it for a bit and then decide on the path you choose. just a thought

Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
just remember that its easy to get carried away with these engine builds. (ask layinback!! ) this is still a 10 + yr old car and before you know it you can have 40k$ invested in a build that is on a car worth 40k$. try getting that out of it during a resale!

from the looks of your sig you have a great built car already. maybe just drive it for a bit and then decide on the path you choose. just a thought
Lol, I am sure, cause no matter who I talk to let it be a shop or a person who owned this style car or owns one now, the same line is. "Its a slippery slope". LOL.

I have been texting with Tim while I reply in here and he makes my power seem inferior like I am doing something wrong LOL. I would never go 1000+whp, but I may do a built engine and some bigger turbos and step up to the 750-800whp range. I mean from what George told me (whos car it was) he said its insanely fast, so I might just be content where I am at lol. All in all I def lucked out with getting a great car in a round about way from a good guy.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
Lol, I am sure, cause no matter who I talk to let it be a shop or a person who owned this style car or owns one now, the same line is. "Its a slippery slope". LOL.

I have been texting with Tim while I reply in here and he makes my power seem inferior like I am doing something wrong LOL. I would never go 1000+whp, but I may do a built engine and some bigger turbos and step up to the 750-800whp range. I mean from what George told me (whos car it was) he said its insanely fast, so I might just be content where I am at lol. All in all I def lucked out with getting a great car in a round about way from a good guy.
Just curious if you have driven the car yet? I would definitely enjoy it as is and then decide what the future might hold.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by 930chas
Just curious if you have driven the car yet? I would definitely enjoy it as is and then decide what the future might hold.
Nope. But I am always a hands on type of person, so I enjoy doing things on a car. I want to try and learn the engine and car like I have learned and worked on others in the past.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Just build a short block. Take 6mts to a year and slowly build one. That's where the meat is anyway. If and when you blow ur motor short block is ready to go, head studs and all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rods- 5k Labor??