996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cars too low to pull in and out of driveway without scraping- Ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 PM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by leftlane
1. Drive at an angle.
2. Buy a supply of spoiler lips, replace when necessary, don't worry about it.
3. Move.
4. Pull a Costanza and bribe a work crew to hook you up - maybe they'll let you work the jackhammer.
5. Build a sweet ramp and jump the curb.
6. Park on street, walk up driveway to house.
7.Come in pretty hot, jam brakes as you arrive at driveway, causing nose to dive. Releasing brakes right as you slide into driveway will cause the nose to spring back up to slightly higher ride height, before it settles back on springs. A quick goose of the throttle at this time will cause the car to squat and raise nose as you start up driveway. With a little practice you should be able to do it without thinking.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
post some pics of the situation otherwise were shooting in the dark about the problem.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM
mbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
7.Come in pretty hot, jam brakes as you arrive at driveway, causing nose to dive. Releasing brakes right as you slide into driveway will cause the nose to spring back up to slightly higher ride height, before it settles back on springs. A quick goose of the throttle at this time will cause the car to squat and raise nose as you start up driveway. With a little practice you should be able to do it without thinking.
^^ftw

Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM
MBH
MBH has a spectacular aura aboutMBH has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
post some pics of the situation otherwise were shooting in the dark about the problem.
This.

You could also buy a C4S front lip to replace the lower turbo lip.

I've thought about doing it a few times. I have one spot on my commute where I will slightly scrape my lip unless A) I go 1mph at an angle across 2 lanes B) I go very slow and time punching the gas just right.

So far I've been going option A every time. car horns be damned

I will probably buy a C4S lip once my lip gets to that point, but I'd be more inclined to do so if I had a lighter colored car, as I'd paint match the entire plastic trim for the bottom of the car all at the same time... but on my midnight blue, the visual impact wouldn't justify the cost.

Attached Images  

Last edited by MBH; 10-08-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
KW Variant 3 V3 Coilovers withHLS 2 Front Lift System
http://kw-suspension.com/us/kw_hls.php

Attached Images   

Last edited by Mad Ness; 10-08-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
6. Park on street, walk up driveway to house.
8. get rid of it and get a Cayenne Turbo

Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,,,I came up with MY own two cures,,
First I bought some cold set asphalt mix at Home Depot and filled that V in which did the trick.......Cheap fix and worked..
After that I put about 1'' bigger diameter tires on,,245/40/18 and 295/35/18 on which I know most will never do because that is opposite of what everyone else does but I can work under my car a little easier and drive down snow roads a little better..LOL.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:43 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same problem. I can *just* clear my driveway if I go in and out at an angle and my car is still on stock suspension. I want to get coilovers but really need to get my driveway problem figured out first. I have 2 steel ramps I can use to bridge the gap over the gutter; it works but is annoying because you have to make sure you're on it with the tires. If I can find something strong to bridge the gap between the steel ramps, I'd be golden.

Right now, I just use 2 large pieces of wood in the gutter but that's only sufficient for now; won't work anymore if I lower the car.

Pic of the steel ramps attached (not my driveway or car btw).

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I saw in a mail order catalog,,I believe California Car Covers, they sell a hard rubber bridge type filler ramp for that specific purpose.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I saw in a mail order catalog,,I believe California Car Covers, they sell a hard rubber bridge type filler ramp for that specific purpose.
I think you are referring to Bridjit curb ramps. I've looked at those before but not only are they expensive, I also don't think they would reduce the incline enough to avoid scraping.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
you could get the super duper KW nose lift system .

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
you could get the super duper KW nose lift system .
Now that would not be a "cheap" solution . It also wouldn't solve the problem of the rear scraping.

There are some good DIY ideas out there to fabricate something with pressured plywood. I'll pay a visit to the Home Depot soon

Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 PM
nyc996x50 is infamous around these parts
My front end scrapes coming out of a slightly elevated driveway even when turned at a wide angle. The problem is there's so much front overhang.

Here's my biggest nightmare... skip to 2:08

The KW lift system is something I'm seriously considering. The other solution would be air suspension.

Last edited by nyc996x50; 10-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I have the same problem. I can *just* clear my driveway if I go in and out at an angle and my car is still on stock suspension. I want to get coilovers but really need to get my driveway problem figured out first. I have 2 steel ramps I can use to bridge the gap over the gutter; it works but is annoying because you have to make sure you're on it with the tires. If I can find something strong to bridge the gap between the steel ramps, I'd be golden.

Right now, I just use 2 large pieces of wood in the gutter but that's only sufficient for now; won't work anymore if I lower the car.

Pic of the steel ramps attached (not my driveway or car btw).
if deep/wide enough embed in the drain, use large steel diameter drain piping and fill concrete around it. if narrow, build a heavy duty gutter cover into the ground (like in photo).

Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Now that would not be a "cheap" solution . It also wouldn't solve the problem of the rear scraping.
KW sells a "4S" system that lifts all 4 corners.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010690.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	287918  

Last edited by Mad Ness; 10-08-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
amw
amw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of lightamw is a glorious beacon of light

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cars too low to pull in and out of driveway without scraping- Ideas?