996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine rebuild questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Well, I started acquiring parts for the rebuild. Just received a GT3RSR crankshaft and dual pick up oil pump. Rods and 3.8 pistons/liners to go..

so this crankshaft has the gt3 size rod journal or the turbo rod journal size?

Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
so this crankshaft has the gt3 size rod journal or the turbo rod journal size?
look at cjv( the moderator) massive thread on his build. 200 + pages but loaded with info on this kind of stuff.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!

look at cjv( the moderator) massive thread on his build. 200 + pages but loaded with info on this kind of stuff.
I have read it(but don't want to read all 200pages again) that's why I'm asking if the 997gt3 rsr uses the narrow journal or the wide journal..

Old 02-22-2014, 04:45 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
I have read it(but don't want to read all 200pages again) that's why I'm asking if the 997gt3 rsr uses the narrow journal or the wide journal..
I could be wrong but I think its a narrow journal. I was told you can't use TT sized rods as the rod end diameter is different from the TT if you use the RSR crank.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 PM
I could be wrong but I think its a narrow journal. I was told you can't use TT sized rods as the rod end diameter is different from the TT if you use the RSR crank.
Yea i was pretty sure but not 100% that gt3/rs/cup and the variants use the narrow journal versus the turbo with the wider/older journal specs

Old 07-26-2014, 10:29 AM
carwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the rough
Well, i'm building a motor as well... I've lost compression in cylinder 3, and both 1 & 5 are way down as well. Haven't dug into the passenger side yet, no need really...

I believe it's all head related, but If i'm gonna have my motor down and torn apart, I can't imagine not doing new rods etc.... get rid of all the weak points during the build.

So, I also need to come up with a parts list to get....

rods
bearings
oil pump
studs
some valves, lol

I will probably stay with Turbo crank and remain 3.6 etc...

Imma hit a few of you guys up PM to get advice on which brands, etc.

Thanks for a very informative thread.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:03 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Hey guys,
Reviving this thread as I had a quick question since my engine is going to be coming out in a couple of weeks for the rebuild. I wanted to see if there is any quantifiable benefit on using the 996GT3 exhaust cam shaft in place of the stock TT cam. I am under the impression that the 6GT3 exhaust cam is a direct bolt on to the TT while the intake is not. Just curious if anyone has done that on a rebuild. Each application would be different but in my case I'm doing the following:

Road course application running 1.3 bar max
K16/997GT2RS turbos
3.8 Mahle pistons/liners
GT3 RSR crank
GT3 RSR oil pump
Carillo Rods
997 lifters
997TT intake (maybe)
Head work - porting and Ti valve train (maybe)

RPM goal will be 7500 with head work or 7200 with stock head. Not planning on doing anything crazy, basically an engine rebuild with the goal of a relatively low stressed durable engine with a normally aspirated feel to it. Modest power in the 600 range.

Thanks...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-20-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Hey guys,
Reviving this thread as I had a quick question since my engine is going to be coming out in a couple of weeks for the rebuild. I wanted to see if there is any quantifiable benefit on using the 996GT3 exhaust cam shaft in place of the stock TT cam. I am under the impression that the 6GT3 exhaust cam is a direct bolt on to the TT while the intake is not. Just curious if anyone has done that on a rebuild. Each application would be different but in my case I'm doing the following:

Road course application running 1.3 bar
K16/997GT2RS turbos
3.8 Mahle pistons/liners
GT3 RSR crank
GT3 RSR oil pump
Carillo Rods
997 lifters
997TT intake (maybe)
Head work - porting and Ti valve train (maybe)

RPM goal will be 7500 with head work or 7200 with stock head. Not planning on doing anything crazy, basically an engine rebuild with the goal of a relatively low stressed durable engine with a normally aspirated feel to it. Modest power in the 600 range.

Thanks...
you can get 996tt cam regrinds for not much money these days.

What Head Studs Did you decide on?

Last edited by OS Inspector; 12-20-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Stock. Not doing a high boost hight HP build.. Based on the following tread, I question the need for fancy studs even in higher HP applications.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-studs-3.html

cool good luck on that, hope your gonna do a post heat cycle re torque.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
with that power why not just clean up the heads (light port) and oring the cylinders? save the money to go to the trans ! 7500 should be doable on stock valve train without must effort

you could use the proefi 112 and get the same result with cam timing on the stock exhaust cams i do believe

Old 12-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
with that power why not just clean up the heads (light port) and oring the cylinders? save the money to go to the trans ! 7500 should be doable on stock valve train without must effort

you could use the proefi 112 and get the same result with cam timing on the stock exhaust cams i do believe
I haven't decided if I will do anything with the heads. Still looking at options. For longevity purposes considering my use, my comfort level is 7200 with stock valve train. Like I said, I figured I'd ask if anyone has done the GT3 exhaust cam and their impression. I remember reading about it a while back but don't remember what the consensus was. Planning on sticking with the stock ECU. Keeping it simple. Moderate reliable power on relatively low boost. I wouldn't be rebuilding but the motor has over 100 hard track hours so it's time to get it refreshed.